Chet Guiles
Civilian

UserPath.ini File

Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:45 pm

I had a problem running CW2 due to a repetitive crash after combat when the game was apparently trying to write to a file to which I did not have permission. Even when I played as administrator and made sure I had all possible read/write permissions I was still crashing. Matrix suggested a link to this forum which suggested removing the UserPath.ini file which I did, as well as increasing the LogBatch to 1000 in the general.opt file. I did both these things and the game now seems to work.

What belongs in the UserPath file and in what format. I'm guessing it directs where to save files. However it was empty (nothing at all in it) when I looked into it. Would that have been the source of the crashes I had?

And what does logbatch DO? Am I creating some sort of megafile somewhere that will eventually swamp my system? :blink:

Thanks.

Chet Guiles
Civilian

Crash

Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:54 pm

I originally posted this in the general forum. Obviously it's a tech issue so am reposting here. Thanks.

I had a problem running CW2 due to a repetitive crash after combat when the game was apparently trying to write to a file to which I did not have permission. Even when I played as administrator and made sure I had all possible read/write permissions I was still crashing. Matrix suggested a link to this forum which suggested removing the UserPath.ini file which I did, as well as increasing the LogBatch to 1000 in the general.opt file. I did both these things and the game now seems to work.

What belongs in the UserPath file and in what format. I'm guessing it directs where to save files. However it was empty (nothing at all in it) when I looked into it. Would that have been the source of the crashes I had?

And what does logbatch DO? Am I creating some sort of megafile somewhere that will eventually swamp my system?

Thanks. :wacko:

Chet

Rafiki

Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:26 pm

Moved thread into tech support, where it is more "at home" :)

EDIT: ...and merged your two threads about this same matter

I'm sure Pocus (or someone else) will address your problems when they see them (unfortunately, I'm not able too)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Pocus

Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:42 am

Hi,

Userpath.ini should be empty, it is there only to tells the game that it should ask Windows for your user directory, in which normally all applications have permissions to write.

Removing it will save the logs and games to the directory of the game itself. If it floats your boat, then that's ok for us too :)

As for logbatch, this is the number of lines of log to write at once. If set to 1, each time there is a line to write, the game does that, so it means a lot of requests to write into the log file, this can be a problem for some Windows or Anti-virus.

Rest assured, logs are deleted each time you launch the game.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “CW2 Technical support / Aide technique”