WABAC
Conscript

Need help with modding a scenario

Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:45 pm

Long-time player of AGEOD games, and picked this one up on sale from Matrix.

After many hours of game play, I got it into my head to mod the 1862 West Campaign.sct file based on Dyer's Compedium, and other sources.

Through trial and error I have successfully created Porter's Mortar Flotilla, edited Farragut's OOB, edited Butler's OOB, modified the volunteer brigade to suit my purposes, and created a new pioneer company unit to represent Brown's Sappers and Miners. So creating steam sloops, and adding brigadeers Phelps, Williams, and Shepley, are on the agenda.

But then I get to looking at the scriptwest62.ini file, and I see that Porter is attached to the Mississippi Fleet at Cairo. That won't do. Let's add Charles H. Davis, change the name to Western Gunboat Flotilla and modify the order of battle. Like so:

SelectRegion = $Alexander_IL

SelectFaction = USA
CreateGroup
Posture = $Defensive
SetKind = $Nav
Entranch = 0
FixType = 0
SetName = Western Gunboat Flotilla
Apply
CreateUnit
SetType = $uni_USA_Foote
SetName = Andrew H. Foote
Apply
CreateUnit
SetType = $uni_USA_CHDavis
SetName = Charles H. Davis
Apply
CreateUnit
SetType = $uni_USA_IroIL
FlavorName = Lt. James M. Pritchett
SUFlavorName = USS Cairo
SetLevel = 1
SetName = USS Cairo
Apply

So on. And so forth.

But what happens when I fire up the game, is that I see what the original file wants:

SelectFaction = USA
CreateGroup
Posture = $Defensive
SetKind = $Nav
Entranch = 0
FixType = 0
SetName = Mississippi Fleet
Apply
CreateUnit
SetType = $uni_USA_Foote
SetName = Andrew H. Foote
Apply
CreateUnit
SetType = $uni_USA_Porter
SetName = David D. Porter
Apply
CreateUnit
SetType = $uni_USA_IroIL
FlavorName = Capt. W. Gordon
SUFlavorName = USS Cairo
SetLevel = 1
SetName = USS Cairo
Apply

So on. And so forth.

When I was editing the 1862 West Campaign.sct file the errors were immediately apparent, even if it took a while to figure out the solution.

In this case. There are no errors. The game seems to be pulling the original code from somewhere. But where? I've deleted cache files, and generally poked around and opened just abut everything but the graphics files. What am I doing wrong here?

I sure hope there is someone out there.

WABAC
Conscript

Re: Need help with modding a scenario

Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:39 pm

Any theories? Something, anything, to try?

WABAC
Conscript

Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:53 pm

So apparently I'm supposed to recompile the scenario. Which involves hitting the F9 key turning startup. At which point, a box opens up, and a bunch of file names in green race by. And all that seems to do (according to the logs) is recompile April 1861. But it never changes the time stamp on any of those files.

Per the wiki:

NB: make sure that in \Scens there are no already existing scenario file(s) – those with an scn extension – that bears the same name as the one you have chosen for your newly created scenario.

Did that. Moved the 1862 .scn to a different directory. Zippo results.

Bohémond

Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:16 am

.ini files and .sct files are quite similar but the use of them is diferent.

.sct files are read during turn resolution, that why you see the made changes effects.

.ini are only read during .scn creation, so change will not affect played games.
You will have to generate the .scn file to see the change.

See below, from https://www.leqg.org/doc/age/www.ageod.net/agewiki/Modding_Campaigns_and_Scenarios.html

Launch the Editor
Run the game. As soon as you see the message about loading textures (10%...), strike on the F9 key. You will noticed on the top right-hand side of the loading screen the mention “Editor Mode”.

Wait until you see the game map and your scenario units magically appears in front of you… If they don’t, you’ll either get an error message or nothing (more exactly you get the load menu)…in which case you did something wrong in the previous steps!

If you get errors, you should check the !MainLog.txt in \Logs, and the ScriptReport.txt in \Scripts for messages.

Check and Save
Once the scenario appears on the screen, you can have a look around it as you wish. The major difference with a complete scenario is that you can check all units from all nations everywhere on the map. This allows you to quickly see if everything you planned is well in there.

If you are satisfied, then center the map where you want the scenario to open upon normal play and click on the save button. Your scenario is now saved.

If you are not pleased or want to improve it a bit more, then just Quit the game and proceed with the changes you wish to add.

Do not hesitate if you have any question.

Make sure you backup current .scn file before overwritting it with the modded one.

Regards

Nikel

Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:33 am

It is nice to see you posting Bohémond ;)

WABAC
Conscript

Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:07 pm

Bohémond wrote:.ini files and .sct files are quite similar but the use of them is diferent.

.sct files are read during turn resolution, that why you see the made changes effects.

.ini are only read during .scn creation, so change will not affect played games.
You will have to generate the .scn file to see the change.

See below, from https://www.leqg.org/doc/age/www.ageod.net/agewiki/Modding_Campaigns_and_Scenarios.html

Launch the Editor
Run the game. As soon as you see the message about loading textures (10%...), strike on the F9 key. You will noticed on the top right-hand side of the loading screen the mention “Editor Mode”.

Wait until you see the game map and your scenario units magically appears in front of you… If they don’t, you’ll either get an error message or nothing (more exactly you get the load menu)…in which case you did something wrong in the previous steps!

If you get errors, you should check the !MainLog.txt in \Logs, and the ScriptReport.txt in \Scripts for messages.

Check and Save
Once the scenario appears on the screen, you can have a look around it as you wish. The major difference with a complete scenario is that you can check all units from all nations everywhere on the map. This allows you to quickly see if everything you planned is well in there.

If you are satisfied, then center the map where you want the scenario to open upon normal play and click on the save button. Your scenario is now saved.

If you are not pleased or want to improve it a bit more, then just Quit the game and proceed with the changes you wish to add.

Do not hesitate if you have any question.

Make sure you backup current .scn file before overwritting it with the modded one.

Regards

I have tried something like that but that post is still waiting moderator approval.

In the meantime I will experiment with the spreadsheet files and splitter.

Edited to add . . . I appreciate the help Bohémond. Thank you. I forgot to say that before.

Given the time lags on post approval, let's see what happens if I follow the regulation process. My report will show up here eventually.

WABAC
Conscript

Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:22 pm

Tried working with spreadsheets and splitter as described at http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/agewiki_im ... tion01.pdf. And I'm not having any luck

Waiting for my new posts to get moderated here is making the process too painful to continue seeking advice from the community.

The game was fun while it lasted. Certainly better than the Strategic Command version out now.

My thanks to Bohemond for responding. I hope the moderators clear this message so that you know I appreciate the time you took to respond to a stranger.

lodilefty

Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:24 pm

You now have 5 posts, so moderation is no longer needed.

Return to “CW2 Mods”