jscott991
Lieutenant

How to Mod a General

Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:58 am

I bought CW2 forever ago, but never played it (I kept playing CW1 and then moved on).

Now I want to play it, but I need to change one thing first: McClellan's stats.

This isn't as easy as it seems. There is some step that I am forgetting (that I figured out with CW1).

Can someone explain the steps to modify a general's stats?

grimjaw
General

Re: How to Mod a General

Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:07 am

Which stats are you trying to modify?

Most of what you'd want is found in his model files. Unlike most of the generals, he has one for a demoted version as well.

jm

jscott991
Lieutenant

Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:55 am

I was just keeping it simple. McDowell is a 2-2-2 and McClellan is a 1-1-2 (Strategy, Offensive, Defensive).

I just wanted to make sure McClellan is at least the equivalent of the worst historical general in the Union army.

I found those files. But I thought you had to change him somewhere else too or delete a cache to make it reload or something similar.

Edit: Yeah, I changed all four McClellans in the Models directory and nothing changes in the game. I knew I remembered that you had to do something else somewhere.

grimjaw
General

Wed Dec 02, 2020 5:33 am

As long as the only things you're changing are those strat-def-off numbers, the other change is simple. There is a file in the CW2/gamedata/models directory called models.cached. While the game is *NOT* running, delete that file. You can also delete CW2/gamedata/units/units.cached. The game will regenerate those files when it next starts and will incorporate your changes into the new files.

jscott991
Lieutenant

Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:02 am

Yep. I got it. Thanks!

Now I need to figure out why the McClellan Takes Command event never fires.

Return to “CW2 Mods”