johandenver2
Lieutenant

Future brigades?

Tue May 17, 2016 5:27 pm

Which file contains the information about how many elements brigades created within the game can contain?

For example, if I create 3 militia units and want to combine them into a brigade, where would I change the value of allowed elements from 2 to 3?

Also, is there any way of getting brigades, created by combining elements, to use custom names instead of taking the name of one of the units?

JacquesDeLalaing
Colonel

Tue May 17, 2016 5:32 pm

For RoP, there is an entry in the GameLogics file:

ldrMaxNbCombiUnits = 0 // Nb Max of Units in a CombinedUnit

Apparently, it depends on the number of units, not of elements/subunits.
[CENTER][color="#A52A2A"] S I L E S I A I N R U P T A[/color]
- a work-in-progress mod for Rise of Prussia - [/CENTER]

johandenver2
Lieutenant

Tue May 17, 2016 7:11 pm

Unfortunately CWII does not seem to have this entry i the GameLogics file :-(

grimjaw
General

Wed May 18, 2016 2:17 am

johandenver2, for CW2 it's in the same gamelogic.opt file, but I think it's this setting:

subMaxNbPerUnit = 18

I haven't tried fiddling with it. That number corresponds to the maximum number of elements in a division (combined unit), and I suspect brigades (created by a unit file) will fall under the same limitation. I'm not sure how the game engine deals with the difference between a unit (as defined by a unit file, fixed and can't be separated into different parts manually) and a division (defined on the fly by the user in-game and capable of being broken down).

Your second question regarding combining militia has a trickier solution. The reason you can combine two militia into a a two-element brigade in the game is because of the way the unit is defined in its file. Take unit file UID 187 as an example. It has to do with the following two lines.

ModelType0 = $mdl_CSA_Reb9|1
FamilyType0 = $famMilitia|2

You see that when that unit is created the model type has a value of 1, so only one element is created. But the family provides for *two* elements. So if you wanted to set up the specific example you're talking about, I suspect you'd change the second line to have a value of 3. As you can see, this would have to be done for *all* the units, and it could get really hairy really quick.

I haven't looked into the answer to your third question regarding custom names.

Teatime
Lieutenant

Thu May 19, 2016 3:53 am

Grimjaw is spot on as to why you can combine multiple Militia into a 2 unit brigade. You would need to change all the militia unit files as there is a unit file for each state. Note that in the vanilla game uses the State volunteer units as militia and not the militia unit files. So, for the rebs, units 172 to 185 rather than 186 to 199.

Regards your point 3 .. this is tied in to how element names are assigned.

For single element Units (even if they can be brigaded into multiple element units) then the game uses the custom name in the Unit File for both the unit name and the element name. If you have a multiple element Unit then the custom names from the model file are used for the element names. So for single element units you are pretty much locked in to the Unit Name being also the element name if you want some sort of historical accuracy.

This thread Link talks about it a bit

Return to “CW2 Mods”