Cromagnonman
Brigadier General

Map Editing

Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:38 pm

I notice that some adjacencies are problematic - the most obvious being that Fort Pickens cannot dominate the entrance from the Gulf into Pensacola Bay. Has anyone toyed with modding the regions? Eg, can I simply change the adjacencies in .rgn files, or do I need to change the shape of the region's .bmp file as well?
"firstest with the mostest"

"I fights mit Sigel"

lodilefty

Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:42 pm

The "functionality" is entirely within the region files, but confusion will arise if the graphics don't match the adjacencies.....

...of course, as a mod, that'ss all up to you!!!!
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Cromagnonman
Brigadier General

Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:20 pm

Thanks! Now, if I change the region shape, does that mean I need to change the number of adjacencies in the .rgn file (since presumably the number of interfaces between regions will have changed?)
"firstest with the mostest"

"I fights mit Sigel"

lodilefty

Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:34 pm

Tinkering with the rgn files can rapidly lead to CTD..... your changes must be reflected in any adjacent rgn files also!

Proper way is via ExMap, the proprietary map software of AGEOD.

You need to apply to PhilThib to gain it, but be aware it has no documentation, and knowledgable users are few, and currently busy with WON!
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

grimjaw
General

Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:01 am

Cromagnonman, I have done some minor editing on the region files. Without ExMap it will be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to change adjacencies.

Without ExMap, you can sometimes add jumplinks and translinks. You can change the positioning of icons within a region, either by editing the region file or using Regionsprite in the game (the latter is often easier). I've changed port entry points for a region, but that's about as fancy as I've gotten. You can change the terrain type. You could probably edit the existing bitmap content for a region without changing its dimensions or shape. As soon as you start trying to redraw the lines, you'll need ExMap and then you'll probably have to get in line. I can't even get it to run on my PC, although I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong.

There are at least a couple of dozen maps changes I'd like that would require redrawing things, but I'm having to live with it.

Return to “CW2 Mods”