tripax
AGEod Veteran

Moding Brigade (Unit) and Regiment (Model) Names

Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:01 pm

Below is "version 1.0" of a mod which tries to make the changes described in this thread and in the links at the bottom of this post. It is "version 1.0" because it is the first version of the mod for the patch 1.04. PM me if you want a version that works with patch 1.03 and I can send the old one to you. I don’t plan many more major changes to this mod. Let me know if there are big (or small) changes I should add.

Changes:
Fixed bugs mentioned by Keeler. Update to work with patch 1.04.

To install this mod, go to your "GameData" folder. On my computer, it is here: C:\Games\Civil War II\CW2\GameData.

In that folder, you need to backup your "Models" and "Units" folders. This mod is meant to replace those two folders, so what I did was rename the original versions "Models - Original" and "Units - Original".

Then you can unzip the following file into the "GameData" folder. This will create a new "Models" and "Units" folders.

[ATTACH]32687[/ATTACH]

The first time you run the game, it will add a new file to each folder, "Models.Cached" and "Units.Cached" (these probably already exist in your old "Models" and "Units" folders).

It will also create alias files for models and for units. Copy these files to the alias folder (honestly, if you do not use my other mod, you probably don't need to worry about these, as they define units and models that aren't used in the vanilla game).

If you enjoy the mod, tell me if you find any bugs, especially if multiple recruited units have the same name, or if any special hard-coded units have the same name as recruited units. Also let me know if any non-integrated artillery units have default names.

Special thanks to Keeler, 13thnct, Le Ricain, Eugene Carr, Ol' Choctaw, RebelYell, Mickey3D, anjou, minipol, and everyone else for the advice and help.

I've broken the discussion down into pieces based on the type of unit. Discussions of each are linked below:

Zouaves - http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?35029-Zouave-Unit-names
Sharpshooter - http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?35004-Sharpshooter-unit-names
Cavalry and Artillery - http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?35026-Cavalry-and-Artillery-unit-names
Militia - http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?35047-Militia-unit-names
Infantry - http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?35050-Infantry-unit-names
Service - http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?35051-Service-unit-names
Navy - http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?35056-Navy-unit-names
Style Guide - http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?35071-Unit-name-style-guide
Attachments
TripaxsUnitModelNamesMod.Ver1.0.zip
(1.78 MiB) Downloaded 292 times

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:14 pm

I've noticed building too many brigades from certain states exhausts the file with custom unit names (and flavor commanders). Custom unit names include NY's "65th New York" (commanded by Gilbert H. McKibbin) or NC's "Ransom's Bde" (commanded by Robert Ransom Jr.). Some types of units and states seem to have enough custom unit names, but I'm not sure, and certainly not all do. An example is sharpshooters, where there are very few custom unit names.

These names are fun for me, and I'd like to not "run out" so to speak. I was thinking about changing my own game files, but I thought it would be worthwhile if I responded here to see if anyone else had interest and/or advice. Plus, I don't want to redo work of others, and I don't want the work to be undone by a future patch.

Is this done/being done by anyone else?

Is there other interest in doing this/helping?

After AI improvements, this is pretty high on my wish list for future patches, how can I help ensure these types of additions are in future patches?

Here is what I've learned so far. Unit names need to be changed at least in the files called Units.Cached (and Models.Cached) for component regiments within units in the folders GameData\Units and GameData\Models. These "cached" files are appended versions of the other files in these folders, but I've only found that changing *.Cached changes names in game, but changing other files in the folder does not.

I'm going to be using Unit for brigade and model for regiment since that is how the code looks and is easier for me to remember. Most units can be recruited directly, and models are components of units. So each unit has a force pool size, which controls how many units of a type can be recruited. Different types of infantry units from a state (units with different component models) are named from the same pool. So the first PA unit recruited is called Birney's Bde. regardless of if it is the brigade/unit with 2 infantry and 1 sharp or the brigade/unit with 2 infantry (conscript), etc.

In PA, for instance, there are 4 infantry brigade types that can be recruited and the force pools are size 12, 16, 16, and 20, so there are 64 possible units that can be produced. There are 66 named units, 40-66 being named "38th Pennsylvania" through "64th Pennsylvania". Flavor commanders exist for the first 39 units. These 64 units each have two infantry models (conscript or regular), so there are 128 infantry models that can be built from PA. There are 116 custom named models in PA, so 12 more could be added.

However, the size of the force pool is also (actually) controlled by events (in the events folder). Looking at, for instance, 1861 April Campaign in that folder, the units of pool size 16, 16, and 20 are made recruit-able and expanded to those sizes. But the unit of pool size 12 is not recruit-able, and only 2 units are created automatically (the 1st West Virginia and the 1st Pennsylvania with model custom names provided). Thus in actuality only 104 named models are required and there are 12 extra named models.

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:36 pm

One more note: When a unit is destroyed, it returns to the force pool. I'm not sure if the next unit you recruit of that type gets the old name (such as Birney's brigade or whatever), or gets the next name in the unit list, but I'm pretty sure it does - I've seen it for militia units and sharpshooters. When a militia unit is trained to regular, it keeps the militia unit and militia model name, a militia unit is added to the force pool as a replacement, and that militia unit's name and militia model's name are not reused. I don't think this is the case when units with only conscript are trained to regular. I also don't know if early cavalry forces are returned to the pool when upgraded.

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:54 pm

Before listing my todos, here are some issues that seem outside of modder control:

Numbering for recruited conscript and recruited regular models do not overlap - conscript and regular model names come from the same pool of model names and if a conscript takes a certain model name, the next model (even if regular) takes the next model name. This is not the case for recruited conscript/regular models and recruited militia models. I could simply not allow model names for militia units and regular units to overlap, but this isn't satisfying as units would then be created out of numeric order. So we simply have to live with the possibility of a 1st state militia infantry and 1st state infantry coexisting. I'm fine with this.

Flavor unit commanders don't seem to be used in the game. They seem only to exist in certain spots in the files. Model text is blank for most models. It would be fun if information about flavor unit commanders were added to that text, but that mixes models and units. Flavor unit commanders were used in AACW, but I don't see it in the new one.

A number of unit numbers just don't exist in game. For instance, the 20th Pennsylvania, which only existed for 3 months and was a part of Patterson's Army of the Shenandoah (and whose troops may well have fought later for other regiments). It isn't clear how to handle this, perfect realism seems like a bad idea, it would be hard to deal with disappearing troops. It seems like it should be allowed to create units whose number is beyond what was actually created in a state, since one could imagine an alternate reality where more infantry regiments were created in a state than actually were. So I don't know if it should be allowed to create units whose number was skipped or whose number only existed for a short time.

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:48 pm

Another issue has to do with sharpshooters. It isn't really clear what they are. There is a book called “Sharpshooters of the American Civil War 1861-1865” by Philip Katcher and Steve Walsh. That book counts 20 Union sharpshooter units and 16 Confederate sharpshooter units, some of each were companies or battalions rather than full regiments. I think there are probably companies not mentioned known for their sharpshooters. Also, they represent states where units or models where recruitment of sharpshooters isn’t possible in game. This issue will have to be dealt with.

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:14 pm

So here is how I would approach making changes. To get started we need to sort out how many units and models of each type can be recruited from each state and how many of each unit and model or each type are custom named in each state. Where the number of recruitable units and models is greater than the number of custom named, new custom names can be added.

Once we’ve listed the number of custom names of each type from each state, we get to decide how to handle adding names. First we could just add numeric names (such as the “141st Pennsylvania” ;) . Then we can propose more flavored names (such as “Thayer’s Brigade” ;) . Flavored names could be based on generals, majors, colonels, or even possibly captains that had an impact from a given state and who aren’t used elsewhere or on actual regimental nicknames of major regiments. Plus, more named militia units are necessary. One reason I’m interested in this project is I think it would be fun to add units like 1st Regiment Nebraska Volunteer Infantry militia unit from Nebraska which could be recruitable from Kansas or give names to Mounted Volunteers units.

An issue is that the game still intends on adding named custom units/models (such as “Stone’s brigade” from the last patch), so we’ll see.

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:59 pm

One other note, USA Events.sct and CSA Events.sct in the events folder also controls a number of important force pool additions. Also, there are a number of units used in western campaigns that aren't in the full campaign. My plan is to focus on the full April 1 campaign units/models (the problem arises more as the number of turns gets high) because that is the campaign I usually play. So far I have is a spreadsheet with some basic facts about units and unit composition (not too detailed, but detailed enough for this project). There are only a few units I didn't include, so if anyone wants something added there, it would be easy to do it. I don't intend to change autoscripted units at all, be they brigades like the Bull Run Brigade or Garrisons of forts (unless there is a typo or something someone notices).

Keeler
Captain

Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:45 am

tripax wrote: I don't intend to change autoscripted units at all, be they brigades like the Bull Run Brigade or Garrisons of forts (unless there is a typo or something someone notices).

On the Union side, I believe there two are instances where there's a duplicate element name. The 24th Michigan appears in the "Western Brigade" (it has 2 elements, an Ohio regiment and the 24th) and also in the Iron Brigade. Historically, the 24th Michigan joined the Iron Brigade in late 1862.

The 2nd Wisconsin also duplicates, appearing in a brigade when the Army of the Potomac forms, and again when the Iron Brigade appears. Historically, the 2nd Wisconsin was in both these commands. Since the reassigning of individual elements goes beyond the scope of the engine, it is probably too much of a headache to make this work out correctly.

I know that in Stone's Brigade (the one that is INF-INF-CAV), the cavalry element is incorrectly named something like "Stone's Art."
"Thank God. I thought it was a New York Regiment."- Unknown Confederate major, upon learning he had surrendered to the 6th Wisconsin.

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:18 pm

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:42 pm

I'll be posting version 0 in a few moments. But I wanted to mention again that this mod doesn't try to affect game balance at all. While working, I've decided that I'm interested in modding the names and make-ups of units that arrive hard-coded in 1861 and after, including garrisons, militia's, special units (such as the Western Brigade being a duplicate of the Iron or Grierson's seemingly having the wrong units), and the initial armies, as well as changing force pools to reduce the number of units that are created in the wrong theater or with the wrong names. I think of this as a separate mod, one that I can't start on for a while, and one to be discussed somewhere else.

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:44 pm

Below is "version 0" of a mod which tries to make the changes described in this thread and in the links in this post. This is "version 0" because while I've run the game and recruited most of the units I changed, I haven't played a game through, and don't know if anything goes nuts. It should have zero effect on the strength of units or force pools. Old save games should work fine, although for many units it will "reset" unit names for newly recruited units, so to speak. So currently existing units will keep the same name and newly recruited units will have names from the new pool and possibly repeats of currently existing units. Also, I didn't add many infantry nicknames or new infantry brigade nicknames (It is good to save something for version 2). If you have this installed and play a PBEM with someone who does not, everything should work fine (your units names will come from your files and your opponents from theirs) but I can't promise it, captured units keep the name that they were given when recruited.

To install this mode, go to your "GameData" folder. On my computer, it is here: C:\Games\Civil War II\CW2\GameData.

In that folder, you need to backup your "Models" and "Units" folders. This mod is meant to replace those two folders, so what I did was rename the original versions "Models - Original" and "Units - Original".

Then you can unzip the following file into the "GameData" folder. This will create a new "Models" and "Units" folders.

####See first post in this thread for current version####

The first time you run the game, it will add a new file to each folder, "Models.Cached" and "Units.Cached" (these probably already exist in your old "Models" and "Units" folders).

If you enjoy the mod, tell me if you find any bugs, especially if multiple recruited units have the same name, or if any special hard-coded units have the same name as recruited units. Also let me know if any non-integrated artillery units have default names.

Special thanks to Keeler, 13thnct, Le Ricain, Eugene Carr, Ol' Choctaw, RebelYell, Mickey3D, anjou, minipol, and everyone else for the advice and help.

RebelYell
General of the Army

Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:36 pm

tripax wrote:Below is "version 0" of a mod which tries to make the changes described in this thread and in the links in this post. This is "version 0" because while I've run the game and recruited most of the units I changed, I haven't played a game through, and don't know if anything goes nuts. It should have zero effect on the strength of units or force pools. Old save games should work fine, although for many units it will "reset" unit names for newly recruited units, so to speak. So currently existing units will keep the same name and newly recruited units will have names from the new pool and possibly repeats of currently existing units. Also, I didn't add many infantry nicknames or new infantry brigade nicknames (It is good to save something for version 2). If you have this installed and play a PBEM with someone who does not, everything should work fine (your units names will come from your files and your opponents from theirs) but I can't promise it, captured units keep the name that they were given when recruited.

To install this mode, go to your "GameData" folder. On my computer, it is here: C:\Games\Civil War II\CW2\GameData.

[ATTACH]27469[/ATTACH]

Thank you very much, I am sure to try this in my next game. This should bring a lot of flavor to the game. :)

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:05 pm

You are welcome. I'm playing a CSA game with it now, and I've only noticed one issue so far (the first Missouri militia unit is called "MO" a typo on my part). Since I don't play CSA too much, I haven't noticed the differences as much as I will once I play a Union game with the mod. The next version will have more nicknames for infantry as well.

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:43 am

There were some bugs that were too big to ignore, so I updated the first post with a download for a "version 0.5". I'll continue testing and my next project with the mod is to add named brigades."Version 0.5" rather than, say, "version 1", because it still isn't fully tested.

Changes:
Fixed CSA partisans errors causing units with state ID numbers rather than names
Fixed CSA Missouri 1st militia unit (was "MO")
Added USA integrated Cavalry names accidentally left out
All regiment nicknames from http://www.bitsofblueandgray.com/nicknames.regts.htm added.

RebelYell
General of the Army

Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:54 pm

tripax wrote:There were some bugs that were too big to ignore, so I updated the first post with a download for a "version 0.5". I'll continue testing and my next project with the mod is to add named brigades."Version 0.5" rather than, say, "version 1", because it still isn't fully tested.

Changes:
Fixed CSA partisans errors causing units with state ID numbers rather than names
Fixed CSA Missouri 1st militia unit (was "MO")
Added USA integrated Cavalry names accidentally left out
All regiment nicknames from http://www.bitsofblueandgray.com/nicknames.regts.htm added.

Thank you.
What is the difference of integrated cavalry and artillery in modding the names?

RebelYell
General of the Army

Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:32 pm

I tried it out, great work. :)

When you get this polished and even more stuff in, this should be included in the game IMO.

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:37 pm

RebelYell wrote:Thank you.
What is the difference of integrated cavalry and artillery in modding the names?

Thank you for liking it!

Integrated artillery weirdly uses a non-country model in the DB. Both USA and CSA integrated artillery use a strange nations (CMN) guns (in the screen shot you see the letters "CMN" above the image of the gun, where "CSA" or "USA" usually are written). If you explore the DB unit files you can find this, too. For this reason, I could probably give integrated artillery names except it might be difficult to differentiate CSA and USA Missouri and Kentucky builds.

[ATTACH]27519[/ATTACH]

Integrated cavalry uses names from the model file. The format in terms of keeping track of the states is pretty simple.

Stand-alone artillery uses names only from the unit file and is easy to change.

Stand-alone cavalry uses names only from the unit file and is easy to change.

Let me know if you have any questions or want more clarification.
Attachments
Untitled.png

RebelYell
General of the Army

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:14 pm

tripax wrote:Thank you for liking it!

Integrated artillery weirdly uses a non-country model in the DB. Both USA and CSA integrated artillery use a strange nations (CMN) guns (in the screen shot you see the letters "CMN" above the image of the gun, where "CSA" or "USA" usually are written). If you explore the DB unit files you can find this, too. For this reason, I could probably give integrated artillery names except it might be difficult to differentiate CSA and USA Missouri and Kentucky builds.

[ATTACH]27519[/ATTACH]

Integrated cavalry uses names from the model file. The format in terms of keeping track of the states is pretty simple.

That is from time of the game release, maybe Pocus can comment if we can get rid of this and also get the 6lb upgrades back?

You could until then use just made up numbering for the borders states?

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:31 pm

RebelYell wrote:That is from time of the game release, maybe Pocus can comment if we can get rid of this and also get the 6lb upgrades back?

We'll see. I don't think the "CMN" thing is a big deal at all.

RebelYell wrote:You could until then use just made up numbering for the borders states?

Unit names are state specific, so the problem with border states is assigning CSA units CSA names. Using numbers could mean that a number taken by the USA couldn't be used by the CSA, which would be weird. Also, I've decided against using numbers and names that didn't exist. I'm ok with upgrading an independent company or batallion to a militia regiment, but if it is possible to recruit a unit after the possible names have been exhausted, then the problem is that too many units can be recruited from that state (that is, the problem is with the force pool) rather than not enough names existing.

Jim-NC

Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:23 pm

tripax wrote:Thank you for liking it!

[ATTACH]27519[/ATTACH]

In regards to the question on "CMN" artillery. The decision from the betas was we wanted the chance to capture artillery, and be able to use it, and allow it to get replacements. In the old system, if you captured artillery, as it wasn't yours, you couldn't repair the unit, and thus it only had whatever strength you captured it with. With the CMN tag for artillery, you can capture artillery, and it will get replacements.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:55 pm

Jim-NC wrote:In regards to the question on "CMN" artillery. The decision from the betas was we wanted the chance to capture artillery, and be able to use it, and allow it to get replacements. In the old system, if you captured artillery, as it wasn't yours, you couldn't repair the unit, and thus it only had whatever strength you captured it with. With the CMN tag for artillery, you can capture artillery, and it will get replacements.

Ahh, I see. Since you can't really capture integrated artillery, it might be ok to change integrated artillery to be the right country (and thus take on a name).

Jim-NC

Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:03 am

You could change the integrated artillery, but that would cause some un-intended consequences. For example, you now have to buy twice as many replacements for light artillery (and potentially medium artillery), as there is common artillery and non common artillery. There may be other issues (like if they share a model or something else.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:03 am

Jim-NC wrote:You could change the integrated artillery, but that would cause some un-intended consequences. For example, you now have to buy twice as many replacements for light artillery (and potentially medium artillery), as there is common artillery and non common artillery. There may be other issues (like if they share a model or something else.

Yeah, that is the fear. To avoid mission creep, my goal has been not to touch anything that looks like code, only change/add names. Thus I don't think I'll try something like that in any case.

In the meantime, I'm looking at brigade names. These are named after brigade commanders and it is going to take a lot of research (and time) to improve them. Right now, it seems like there are some duplicates in commanders/brigade names across states, some states have different lists of names for different types of brigades, and some lists of names are duplicated between different states (Union KS and NM, for example). One thing I've been curious about all along is what went into the initial naming decisions. I feel like my changes have focused so far on adding names on the end of existing lists and giving flavor nicknames to units. But with brigade names, I'm tempted to overhaul the entire thing, as I'm not sure how the current names were created, assigned states, and ordered.

RebelYell
General of the Army

Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:55 am

Can anyone tell what is the design decision behind the games brigade compositions and how will it effect AI if you change them?

Jim-NC

Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:06 pm

Most of this (brigade set up) was created during AACW. They had researchers that determined things like brigade composition, names, etc. The same thing happened in CW II. We had researchers who looked at/for certain brigades to modify/add them. The CW II team did a lot less research than the old AACW team (we imported a lot of already created data).

Hope this helps.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:40 pm

Jim-NC wrote:Most of this (brigade set up) was created during AACW. They had researchers that determined things like brigade composition, names, etc. The same thing happened in CW II. We had researchers who looked at/for certain brigades to modify/add them. The CW II team did a lot less research than the old AACW team (we imported a lot of already created data).

Hope this helps.

You guys did great work. I'm really impressed with everything I see. Is much of the research is published anywhere?

RebelYell
General of the Army

Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:57 pm

Jim-NC wrote:Most of this (brigade set up) was created during AACW. They had researchers that determined things like brigade composition, names, etc. The same thing happened in CW II. We had researchers who looked at/for certain brigades to modify/add them. The CW II team did a lot less research than the old AACW team (we imported a lot of already created data).

Hope this helps.

My favourite brigades are the elite brigades that come with event, they look the most historical, I know they had legions at first but most of the game many brigades just look out of place.

Having two types of brigades would be enough for infantry, 4 regiment and 2 regiment, ( excluding the event given 5 regiment beauties) that is the best compromise considering the game engine limitations.
The rest could be specialist units, mostly single element units like sharpshooters.

This present system is even more annoying as the 6lbs dont upgrade.
I really dont have any need for integrated cavalry, I dont mind shuffling them in and out of division depending the need.

Cavalry brigades would be good to have, no sense in that loosing a event given brigade you have no possibility to raise a new brigade.
And they should come without artillery, cavalry should be as flexible as possible.

Jim-NC

Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:02 am

tripax wrote:You guys did great work. I'm really impressed with everything I see. Is much of the research is published anywhere?

I don't know about AACW (I bought the game about patch 1.10, and missed the design information). As for CWII, there is some information in the beta forums, and some was via private email. I did not do research on brigades. I did research counties and rail lines in several states, as well as some other things. Modesty prevents me from saying more.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Jim-NC

Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:06 am

RebelYell wrote:My favourite brigades are the elite brigades that come with event, they look the most historical, I know they had legions at first but most of the game many brigades just look out of place.

Having two types of brigades would be enough for infantry, 4 regiment and 2 regiment, ( excluding the event given 5 regiment beauties) that is the best compromise considering the game engine limitations.
The rest could be specialist units, mostly single element units like sharpshooters.

This present system is even more annoying as the 6lbs dont upgrade.
I really dont have any need for integrated cavalry, I dont mind shuffling them in and out of division depending the need.

Cavalry brigades would be good to have, no sense in that loosing a event given brigade you have no possibility to raise a new brigade.
And they should come without artillery, cavalry should be as flexible as possible.

It could be done as a mod, as whoever did this would have to change the models, and units, and some other stuff (I am definitely not a modder, so don't know how many or what files would need to be changed). I can't speak for the Phils, but I know that this would be quite a bit of work to remove the integrated brigades, and create new brigades, and add back in all the specialist units that got removed from the integrated brigades.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “CW2 Mods”