fred zeppelin
Colonel

How to Change Names (Units, Regions, Etc.)?

Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:25 pm

Are the names of units, regions, etc. in the game moddable. For example, the region named "Bastrop" in Texas should be named Waco. I've found the region file in question (01299Region), but changing the name there doesn't change the name in game. Same with Benjamin McCulloch, who appears in the game as "Benjamin."

There are a few small errors in the game that should be easily fixable, but the files necessary to do so are apparently hidden somewhere. Seems we could fix some of the smaller glitches, and save the developer some headaches, if we could find these files.

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:36 pm

I've noticed building too many brigades from certain states exhausts the file with custom unit names (and flavor commanders). Custom unit names include NY's "65th New York" (commanded by Gilbert H. McKibbin) or NC's "Ransom's Bde" (commanded by Robert Ransom Jr.). Some types of units and states seem to have enough custom unit names, but I'm not sure, and certainly not all do. These names are fun for me, and I'd like to not "run out" so to speak. Also, there are problems such as what fred mentioned and other problems such as unit numbers repeating that might be fixed easilly. I was thinking about changing my own game files, but I thought it would be worthwhile if I responded here to see if anyone else had interest and/or advice. Plus, I don't want to do it twice, and I don't want the work to be undone by a future patch. So before I get my hands dirty I want to ask:

Is this done/being done by anyone else?

Is there other interest in doing this/helping?

After AI improvements, this is pretty high on my wish list for future patches, how can I help ensure these types of additions are in future patches?

Leibst

Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:35 am

It is possible to change the name for Regions changing it in the file LocalStrings_CW2 in the Settings folder.
But before doing this i recommend to make a copy of the file.
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:56 am

I'm going to continue discussion of changing unit names in another thread, but unit names need to be changed at least in the files called Units.Cached (and Models.Cached) for component regiments within units in the folders GameData\Units and GameData\Models.

Eugene Carr
Colonel

Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:07 pm

I think you only need to delete the cache files after making changes to model/unit files then when you run the game it will make new ones with your changes.
S!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “CW2 Mods”