Stauffenberg
General

Madrid - Talavera RR Map Error

Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:55 pm

The reason the Nationalists were able to drive on Toledo so quickly in 1936 was their use of the Madrid-Badajoz railway which passed through the important large town/small city of Talavera del Tajo (Talavera). This important RR is missing from the SCW map thus making it difficult (but not impossible) to replicate the early Nationalist assault on Toledo from the west.

I am not able to post a 1936 map of this here (apparently) but it can be found here:

https://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/library/mrc/explorefurther/digital/scw/more/maps/

It is the 13th map down with the caption: Map of the area immediately surrounding Madrid, published in The Observer on 4 October 1936. It accompanies an article on 'Gen. Franco's plans for Spain', written at the time of a Nationalist offensive towards Madrid. From the archives of Henry Sara, document reference: 15/3/8/152.

One RR runs south from Madrid through Toledo and on to other points south of there; the other runs through Talavera and on to the Portuguese border. Given the exemplary detail in this project it may be this rail line was intentionally omitted when playtesting indicated an imbalance with Republicans hard-pressed to prevent a Nationalist capture of Madrid from this axis.

But then, that is what almost happened historically.

The supply depot town of Talavera de la Reina on this missing RR should perhaps be a level 4 city as well.
Last edited by Stauffenberg on Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leibst

Re: Madrid - Talavera RR Map Error

Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:36 pm

Good research. You are right indeed. There are some rail missing in the map, not only this one.
Interesting economics map in that web.
And also of interest to see the bad information in the international press looking that 1936 maps.

Stauffenberg
General

Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:17 pm

I'm not out to be captious with a project I very much admire; that said however, the great attention to historical detail you can see throughout Espańa 1936 is marred by some significant RR map errors. Many of these can be seen when compared with this German 1921 map of existing Spanish railways:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ilways.jpg

Items:

--As noted the Madrid-Caceres Line west, and the missing city of Talavera.
--Leon in the north should be directly rail linked to the La Caruna-Salamanca line
--Zaragoza-Alcaniz line continues on directly to Tarragona on the coast
--The critical cul-de-sac RR at Teruel in fact continues on directly SE to join the coastal RR north of Valencia

There are others. Most of the above are of critical importance in my view.

Is there any chance of doing a quick patch to rectify the RR grid (only)? I would be happy to be involved.

Leibst

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:09 pm

Its out of scope as an official update, due to several factors not in my hand.
What we have in mind inHeadquarter however is to develop a completely new game about the Spanish War, but that project is by now stopped due to other urgent needs of my Company if we want to survive.

Stauffenberg
General

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:36 pm

I understand, thanks for your consideration and best of luck with that!

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:04 pm

Leibst wrote:several factors not in my hand.
we have in mind to develop a completely new game about the Spanish War, but that project is by now stopped due to other urgent needs

Sure, that's needed: what if left bourgeoisy really wanted to win the war?, actually cooperating with anarchists instead of wanting to submit them as usual.
Without this what-if, all game should be uninteresting as nationalists should always win, by keeping Zaragoza (and Huesca and Teruel), and their marocan troops (against CNT will, Madrid, fearing France, let north Moroco to Franco).
[ Okay it's a big what-if, as bourgeois don't want a democracy, people power, which is common people power, for it would remove the privileges, remove the bourgeoisy/aristocracy. So bourgeoisy prefer fascism, the violent rule of republics (red or brown hate against bourgeoisy but saving the privileges), until now. Like wrote Platon since long, philosoph of bourgeoisy, democracy is the worst enemy, an actual tyrany is better than people power. ]
If you didn't had already read:
viewtopic.php?f=280&p=400314#p400262

Return to “España 1936”