goodpoints
Conscript

Replacements: the "10% percent rule"?

Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:18 pm

So I've been stumped on this in a few different games that use purchasable replacements, but let's use E1936 as an example. So the idea is to have a number of replacements available ("currently in reserve" when you mouse over the replacement chits in F2) that is 10% of the number of total matching elements on the map, right? So how can I find out the total amount of say, Line Infantry, elements on the map without going through each individual unit to check? (F1 only will show the total # of elements in each stack, regardless of type) With other games like RUS I could just to figure out a number that would work through estimation and trial/error using the number of hits missing in F2 as a guide. However, playing the Republicans in E1936, this has been far more difficult as resources are so scarce and militia being trained into line constantly. Does the "max number allowed" when mousing over the replacement chits have any relation to the total number of appropriate elements? Currently, I have 1300+ hits missing from Rep. Line Infantry so I figured it was finally time to figure this out. :bonk:

Leibst

Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:21 am

I really don't understand what you mean, maybe because my limited english. But i have never made any calculations regarding any 10%.
If i see i have 1300 hits in line infantry, i just try to buy some replacements, as i suposse you do. What else do you need?
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

kongxinga
Private

Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:13 am

I think the OP is referring to the way AGEOD engine models replacements. Each replacement replaces a variable amount of hits, the rule being that for every hit it replaces there is a 10% chance of the chit being consumed. Therefore if I need to replace 40 line infantry hits, I would buy 4 chits to be able to reasonably replace all the lost hits.

Philo32b
Captain

Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:21 pm

goodpoints, I don't think there is a fundamental difference between the replacement scheme in Espania and that in RUS. So I will share what I posted in the RUS board a couple years ago. There will be some minor differences, but on the whole it is better to understand what the replacement values are rather than using a 10% guideline, which will unnecessarily tie up your resources for some of your replacement types and not be enough for others. Again, please note that it was originally written for RUS, but most of it should apply (including the part about being a wonderful game!):

[INDENT]Welcome to a wonderful game! There is a short primer to replacements in Bornego's AAR, in his 12 June 2011 post here (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?571687-Who-put-the-stranded-Admiral-in-charge-Siberian-White-Short-Campaign-PBEM&p=13157914&viewfull=1#post13157914).

The number above the NATO symbols in the Replacement menu are the number of outstanding hits your units of this type and nationality are still suffering from. Each replacement chit you buy (by clicking on particular NATO unit symbol) is queued up (the "+" number under the NATO symbol) to add to your standing stock of replacement chits (the number to the left of the "+" number) for the next turn. In addition to sometimes getting chits for free from historical events, you also get chits when you suffer causalities in combat (the wounded healed or deserted coming back). IIRC it is the equivalent in chits of a third of the casualities in hits that comes back for free directly into your stock. Each replacement chit you have in stock for a NATO unit type of a particular nationality can replace a certain number of hits to actual units on the map. Here is the list (from Bornego):

infantry, militia and cavalry: 20 hits per replacement chit
light infantry: 15 hits per replacement chit
tanks, artillery, armoured cars : 8 hits per replacement chit
supply trains: 6 hits per replacement chit
engineers: 4 hits per replacement chit
aircraft: 12 hits per replacement chit

You don't directly control which units get replacements and it happens at the beginning of the turn, before you get to move. There are some things you need to do for a unit to get replacements. Standing still for a turn is a good idea, especially if in a region with a town (and especially with a depot). (You don't actually have to be in the town, though.) (If you set attrition to Historical you can only get replacements in a region with a depot.) Units set to "Passive" stance get preference on replacement chits.

More veteran players, please correct whatever mistakes I've made in this. Thanks![/INDENT]

Durk

Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:58 am

Philo32b - you have captured very well my understanding, via Bornego, of how this all works. As it has been some time since I have thought about this, I am copying your post for my game notes about both games.

Return to “España 1936”