elxaime
General

Unit Building

Thu May 15, 2014 7:10 am

For future patches, I am wondering if the game system can accommodate an arrangement like ACW where particular reinforcements appear in their historic regions. For example, the Nationalists have a number of infantry whose names are associated with a region, e.g. Andalusian Requetes, Castilian Falange, Morrocan Regulares, etc. Yet you can build any unit anywhere - they need not appear in their historic regions of origin. It would be nice if it was like ACW where regions/states served as places where their associated regional units would appear. Units without a regional association, e.g. regular Spanish Nationalist infantry, would appear at a random controlled city anywhere. Certain types of new builds (like artillery or armor, rare as they are) could appear in ports, factories or the capital.

Another thing is that, if this system is instituted, builds should appear randomly within eligible (e.g. controlled) cities of that region, again, a la ACW.

Taken together, these would address an issue I see with new unit builds, namely that a player can build all his units in one city. Currently, for example, if the Nationalists or Republicans want to overwhelm one sector, and they have enough to build twenty new infantry, they can place all twenty of them anywhere on the map in a single location. This doesn't seem logistically reasonable or historic.

Again, I think this has already been done in ACW so I think the engine is capable of it.

Durk

Fri May 16, 2014 2:25 am

I think I see what you mean/request, but I also think you are mixing two different concepts. In ACW, unit recruitment is state based, but the unit names are a bit open ended, that is flavor driven. In España, the units are not state driven but are openly recruited. The units names are totally flavor. That is, they posses historical names, but are not tied to a region.
The difference is primarily because in the ACW games, if you lose Kentucky for instance as the CSA, you lose that pool of replacement units. This is not the case with España. Recruitment of new units is based upon a nationwide pool of units. If you lose one "state' you still can recruit new units. This flexibility of recruitment areas is essential to the very open and fluid nature of the game.
So while I think your notion is sound, it is not actually applicable conceptually.

Leibst

Fri May 16, 2014 12:38 pm

You cannot build any unit anywhere elxaime.
Basques units only in Basque Country.
Regulares only in Andalucia.
Falange de Andalucia only in Andalucia etc...
Headquarter game designer of Battles For Spain, Ageod English Civil War, España:1936 and Thirty Years War
HQ website

elxaime
General

Fri May 16, 2014 8:11 pm

Leibstandarte wrote:You cannot build any unit anywhere elxaime.
Basques units only in Basque Country.
Regulares only in Andalucia.
Falange de Andalucia only in Andalucia etc...

Ah, I did not know that! Just for historical reasons, I was trying to keep units with regional names in their regions. So it all worked out.

Durk

Sat May 17, 2014 4:00 am

Leibstandarte, as always, you are correct. I was just thinking of the recruiting tables in ACWII.
Of course there are regional deployments in España.

Return to “España 1936”