Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re: The Short War: tripax (Union) vs Battle von War (Confederate)

Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:58 pm

Thanks! Bold moves by both of you.
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

BattleVonWar
Major

Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:18 pm

"No!"

There was nothing left in Alexandria after the battle but a garrison, for some reason it survived. Then due to the fort rule Lee and his entire Army/Corps could not move out of Alexandria into any adjacent Union Territory. They were stuck an entire turn while McDowell and all of his Corps had level 1 entrenchment I think(perhaps 2 by the time my Army could pursue) into Leesburg/Chambers/then D.C. as I Had planned. So one tiny little fortress rule sort of offset my plans.. Frustrating! Rules are rules though and knowing them better gives you that advantage.

Lee can win in '62, I've pulled this move nearly successfully in '63. Though that required the Union to be terrible at preparing an Eastern Defense. The Union must keep more sufficient forces in Maryland, even than Tripax had done. Had my troops not been caught, I had been refreshed on rules the lower cohesion and lower replacements in the Union manpower pool for the subsequent turn could have turn the tide to more like 30%-40% chance for CSA Victory. Though the technical error was too big.(Tripax did not entrench sufficiently behind in Maryland. Nor did he send Grant. Which I don't quite understand. Though ultimately he can move his Capitol! Which really makes D.C. less appealing than it should be. It's not going to end the game unless the Union player is Stubborn. So a House Rule to force D.C. to remain is the only way the CSA can actually win with this strategy.

In this Chess match I didn't deserve the victory, Tripax got his pawns out the door faster, mobilized faster and did everything better. I feel though it's the fact I'm rusty and he's not that he won. I haven't faced a Union opponent at his caliber as few ask me for a match.

Last game I had vs a fair Union player we took it till near '64 and I nearly took D.C. with this precise move... Though that fellow was no Tripax! Finest opponent I've played so far!

Gray Fox wrote:So as I understand it, Lee chased McDowell out of Alexandria. Franklin retreated into the fortification in Alexandria. Lee then crossed the Potomac and attacked directly into D.C. Is that correct?

Crossing a major river before battle always invites a slaughter. I cross the Potomac upstream and then march into the Union Capital on the dry land side. Did BattleVonWar use synchronized move or did he send in Jackson and hope for MTSG?

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:13 pm

Thanks for the clarification.

I find that 12 Union ships in the Potomac River blockades any CSA move directly into D.C. from Alexandria. Then a stockade with a depot in Montgomery, MD garrisoned by a Division plus should slow any force trying to go around the outside. I'm experimenting with Grant as CiC of the D.C. army since his Corps Commanders (Kearny/Lyons/Hooker) would still enjoy his command bonus all the way to Richmond. I believe that most Union players just don't respect what the CSA can do to D.C. Lincoln kept a huge force there.
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

BattleVonWar
Major

Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:05 am

Gray Fox, you're right. I actually rarely see Union Player's Blockade The Potomac. I also thought that CSA Forces crossing from Alexandria to D.C. face issues with the river being under fire by heavy guns? Possibility of interception of some type, or total blockade. There are so many rules to CW2.

I got it wrong the province name wrong, Montgomery is my favorite move to hit D.C. in two turns(tried that here). That way you avoid the rivers altogether and nobody defends it or you use the Rail line and hit D.C. in 1 turn if you have sufficient MC%^. It's open terrain ... smaller river and smaller penalty if moving from Leesburg. If the Union isn't as wise about entrenchment behind the lines you also have an open road to hit Annapolis/Baltimore and make life unpleasant there. If you can open up Maryland in '61 enough!

That is a choice group of Subordinate Generals to place in an Army Command with Grant. That could end the game very quickly! There is not likely much CSA superiority vs that in Leadership. The Union Artillery is very good so even a well entrenched South will fight hard to resist that. The CSA Has to cover Norfolk/Suffolk and Richmond itself. She can abandon the Shenandoah but eventually that will make her lines even longer. Stretching her like a rubber band. I've done something similar, as I really don't like Grant running around out West fighting for Memphis or Nashville. To me to two medium value targets.

Return to “CW2 AARs”