vicberg
AGEod Grognard

OMG CSA is a lot of work - vicberg (CSA) vs. TyrannicalTyler (USA)

Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:08 pm

Early November, 1861

Tyler surrendered in our last game, so I'm trying CSA for virtually the first time. I hardly played them against the AI.

My strategy is basically defend and counter-punch with the goal of keeping Union NM down as much as possible. NM is the true equalizing factor versus the Union manpower advantage. Right now, I'm just a little unsure on how to do this. My thoughts are to wait until he overextends and then pounce. I've built 1 Iron Works. Increased rail and river as much as possible while building troops and replacements.

Kentucky is still neutral. Johnston has 2 divisions under him in Nashville. Polk has 2 divisions in Memphis. A 5th division is forming in Fort Donaldson. 2 more divisions forming in this area. I've been building out MO units in Springfield and moving them down to Ozark for river transport. This is a very slow process, but my thoughts are to get those units while I can since I hold only a few MO cities at the moment. The Union has done nothing in MO. Shelby has been raiding north of St. Louis. Another cavalry force under Maury (temporarily) will meet up with Shelby to give Shelby a full division to play with. Springfield and even Jefferson are still in Rebel hands.

My rangers and Wattie have been destroying forts in Kansas and Colorado. I learned from the last game that that fort chain is very important to maintain supply in New Mexico. In New Mexico, Baylor has been adopting the same policy. Burn forts between Albuquerque and El Paso. Try to make it as difficult as possible for the Union to get/maintain supply. That's probably my best/only defense for New Mexico/Western Texas. So I'm going to look at raids into Albuquerque and Sante Fe and use of scorched earth cards as well. Demonstrations have been non-stop in cities such as St. Louis, Cairo, Cincinnati and Indianapolis.

Here's the situation in Virginia. Detente so far. Hamilton just cross the Potomac with 2 divisions. I'm not worried about this as supply there will be a challenge for him. Beauregard and Johnston JR. are maxed out with full strength divisions. A full strength cav division under Thompson has been raiding in Western PA. My goals for these raids is to force Tyler to divert resources to either garrison to deal with the raiding force.

[ATTACH]38509[/ATTACH]

I have a full strength division in Savannah and another one in New Orleans.

Tyler just landed, but I think he'll be in for a rude surprise. This is his first over-extension. Only 2 divisions under Milroy with a ton of support units. I made a mistake and put a confederate boob in charge, Evans. I didn't look close enough to realize that a drunkard and New Orleans is probably a bad combination. So Bee is charging down to the area to take over. At this point, it's tempting to charge Johnston Sr. down from Nashville, but I think I'm simply going to hold. I remember playing against the AI it doesn't take long to run out of supply and I don't believe he will be able to win down there.

[ATTACH]38510[/ATTACH]

ALL ADVICE WELCOMED. I really have no idea what I'm doing. Rebels are much harder than Union.
Attachments
2016-04-22 07_44_16-Greenshot.png
2016-04-22 07_41_37-Greenshot.png

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:33 am

Early December, 1861

Counterpunch

In a surprise move, Grant took Fort Donaldson with a neutral Kentucky and with no threats, Polk and Johnston Sr. converged on the fort. Grant retreated without a fight back into the fort. It's now iced over and if Kentucky stays neutral, things don't look good for the Union savior.

No action in New Orleans. A Union replenishment fleet passed the forts for a resupply. With the Arkansas ready next turn, that's not going to happen again.

[ATTACH]38554[/ATTACH]
Attachments
2016-04-22 21_20_54-Greenshot.png

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:52 am

Hamilton just cross the Potomac with 2 divisions. I'm not worried about this as supply there will be a challenge for him.

Why is Supply a challenge in Loudon county? You're right next to a Depot, which means, under the rules, you're in Supply.

I remember playing against the AI it doesn't take long to run out of supply and I don't believe he will be able to win down there.

Huh? Unless things have changed quite a bit since 1.03, NO has tons and tons of Stuff. Opening a line through Ft. Pike is advisable, but one can take one's time about it - lots of time. NO's Loyalty usually goes pretty strong for the Union, once taken and held for a bit, and it's a major production center (i. e., it generates Stuff). I've never, ever had a Supply problem in NO, not at all.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]
-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]
-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES
(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.
(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:25 pm

The Union should start showing supply issues down in New Orleans as long as the Rebels hold the city. At least that's what I remember. The union is currently sitting outside of the city, so their only supply is from wagons and resupply fleets.

As far as Hamilton goes, he's fine. Next to Alexandria and a rail line to boot. But right now, all paths go through Manassas. I'm not even truly worried about the Shenandoah. There only rail line goes through Manassas. Holding Manassas is the key to defending Virginia, at least at this stage of the game.

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:04 pm

Sorry, I thought you meant if the Union took NO.

BTW, before one gets fixated on Manassas as the only ingress - one can get from Alexandria to Fredericksburg in one move. I've done it in AACW, it's in an AAR of mine. I think it still holds true in CW2. I've felt that if you bypass Manassas and seize F-burg, you should satisfy the 'On to Richmond' requirements, but that isn't so - pity.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]

-Daniel Webster

RULES

(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:44 pm

You are correct about the push to Fredericksburg and that would definitely force a Rebel response. But there's now 3 regions, Alexandria -> Fredericksburg that have to be defended from a Rebel army out of Manassas. A division on Richmond would be enough to hold against a corp for at least a turn, maybe two, which would be enough for a CSA counterattack along the LOC. Bypassing Manassas doesn't seem possible, IMO, from the Potomac axis of attack.

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:55 pm

I believe it's possible and should not be overlooked entirely by the Union player, imho. Whether it's prudent or effective is something else.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

Jerzul
Captain

Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:10 pm

What happened in this game? Obviously you've moved onto a new one, but I'm very curious to know what happened in New Orleans and if the CSA came out on top.

I really enjoy all of your AAR's! Thanks for doing them!
I have heard, in such a way as to believe it, of your recently saying that both the army and the government needed a dictator. Of course it was not for this, but in spite of it, that I have given you the command. Only those generals who gain success can be dictators. What I now ask of you is military success, and I will risk the dictatorship.

-Abraham Lincoln, 1863, in a letter to Major General Joseph Hooker.

vicberg
AGEod Grognard

Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:34 am

I flailed and we stopped. I'm figuring out a CSA strategy. Our 3rd game will be coming to a close soon. I'm going to do CSA next game

Jerzul
Captain

Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:08 pm

vicberg wrote:I flailed and we stopped. I'm figuring out a CSA strategy. Our 3rd game will be coming to a close soon. I'm going to do CSA next game

Thanks for the update! I'm looking forward to all of your future AAR's!
I have heard, in such a way as to believe it, of your recently saying that both the army and the government needed a dictator. Of course it was not for this, but in spite of it, that I have given you the command. Only those generals who gain success can be dictators. What I now ask of you is military success, and I will risk the dictatorship.

-Abraham Lincoln, 1863, in a letter to Major General Joseph Hooker.

Return to “CW2 AARs”