Gunther
Private

The Blue (Gwgardner) and the Gray (Gunther): days of defeat

Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:41 pm

[CENTER][color="#FF0000"]DAYS OF DEFEAT[/color]

[ATTACH]36948[/ATTACH]
[/CENTER]
Hi everybody, I really appreciate to read other AAR so I decided to create one for my first PBEM. I'm really not an expert in strategy (you will not learn from me, except mistakes :D ) and I don't know all the small rules and tips that make this game great but I will try to oppose Gary as best as I can. As you can read, English is not my mother tongue so I ask you to forgive the mistakes I made, make, will make. I hope you will enjoy it.

Beginning of April 1861: South Carolina left the Union a few months ago followed by 6 other states. One of the first decision, was to get some money by raising taxes, create war bonds and create paper money. But the government was aware of danger on this last solution: inflation would soon be a big problem if it's used too much. With the money that should arrived soon the new army of the Confederacy will soon be raised.

[CENTER][ATTACH]36949[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

On the war field, PGT Beauregard was ordered to take Fort Sumter. Every ships were sent to the sea, to bring back from Europe everything that could be used for the war in exchange of king cotton despite the fact that Union claimed blockade of Confederacy.

On the second half of April 1861, PGT Beauregard took fort Sumter, the first victory for the young Confederacy. We hope that many will follow. Few other States joined the Confederacy
[CENTER]
[ATTACH]36950[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

Meanwhile in the Union, agent reports that many demonstrations for the South cause took part in the North in different cities.

Early May 1861, the Confederacy is recruiting men for its armies everywhere in seceded states, assembling two main forces under Beauregard in Manassas and Johnston in Strasburg.

[CENTER][ATTACH]36951[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

Instead of being trapped in Richmond, the Virginia squadron will try to reach the ocean where it could be more useful.

Late May 1861, North Carolina seceded, now railroads from deep south are opened to send the troops that were prepared in South Carolina to reinforce armies at border with Union.
[CENTER]
[ATTACH]36952[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

The flight of the Virginia Squadron was a success! It's now in Charleston and await new orders.

Small militia took and lost Fredericktown on the same week. Big armies stand on their positions for the moment.
Attachments
caroline secession.png
jonstonpgt armies.png
pgt victory.png
CSA money.png
day of defeat.jpg

Gunther
Private

Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:55 am

[ATTACH]37012[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

Early June 1861, Confederate army are growing almost as big as Union’s one. We lost Harpers Ferry, and Johnston is still organizing his army in Strasburg. The good news is that our blockade runners are doing well in the Atlantic. Raiders should soon join the party.

Late June 1861, Clarksburg has been isolated, time to withdraw for Confederate detachment. CSA armies are ready to strike on Eastern Front, but Johnston and Beauregard have different point of view, where must they hit? Alexandria became a fortress but Shenandoah valley is hard to supply… June was lost about the dilemma. One month of good weather has been wasted

[CENTER][ATTACH]37013[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

Early July 1861, first premium for volunteer, the people are not ready for this. Confederacy needs a great victory to improve national moral and bring more men to fill the rank.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37014[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

Headquarter attempts to trap enemy in Manassas. The army of Beauregard has been split in two. The general must stay with the 1st part in front of the city, making Union believe that the forces stay there too hold the city. HQ believe that Union will think that what is left moved away to West Virginia to Johnston’s army, but in fact, hiding in the city. HQ hopes that Union will attack and get decimate on this strong position. On the same time, if the plan doesn’t work, Jackson and the troops recruited in Richmond are traveling to Manassas witch should give CSA a large army, able to force Alexandria defenses.

Battle on the sea is going well, a lot of supply arrived from Europe and some merchant ships were sunk, bringing money.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37015[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

Late July 1861, the plan failed, only a recon group of cavalry came to Manassas. The good news is that it has been destroyed, most of men captured. Near Richmond, despite the defeat of Fredericksburg, and a small group of enemy near the Capital, PGT Beauregard is marching towards Alexandria, fate of Confederacy will may be turn here.
[LEFT]
[CENTER][ATTACH]37016[/ATTACH] [/LEFT] [CENTER] [ATTACH]37017[/ATTACH][/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

The greatest news came from East, Kentucky seceded! We welcome our brother in Confederacy. The new front must be quick organized.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37018[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

On industrial side, Government decided to increase rail pool.

Early August 1861, PGT arrived in Alexandria...
Attachments
late july 61.3png.png
late july 61.2png.png
late july 61.png
early july 61.2.png
early july 61.png
late june 61.png
day of defeat.jpg

Gunther
Private

Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:21 pm

[ATTACH]37038[/ATTACH]
[/CENTER]

Early August 1861, on eastern theater, Union forces withdraw from Alexandria. We are close to Washington!
The small Union army, under S. P. Heintzelman’s command, near Richmond has been defeated. But we lost more men.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37039[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

Moral is high in Confederacy (106), time to ask for volunteers has came. A prime of 1.5 dollars has been offered. Government hopes a lot of men will come, the don’t want to enact conscription. It also raised the taxes, issued war bonds and printed money, which means inflation will be 4% but money is needed!

As soon as Kentucky seceded, CSA sent armies to take all the undefended cities that they can before winter. The detachment of Zollicoffer reached Louisville won the battle against garrison but the city didn’t fall, siege begins.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37040[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

Late August 61, Alexandria has been conquered, the name of PGT Beauregard became famous in all South States. Manassas has been captured by another small Union force. Troops are converging there to take the city back.
[CENTER]
[ATTACH]37041[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

In Texas, Butler Forces landed and easily beat the Matagorda militia and took the city. King cotton is now going to stay in the CSA.
[CENTER]
[ATTACH]37042[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

Situation on Eastern Theater: before winter, HG planned to hold the following border cities: Manassas, Leesburg Falmouth and Alexandria. Troops will be safe during winter behind rivers, allowing CSA to reinforce armies here with troops coming from border South States of Virginia and training new recruits. Armies must be ready for spring 1862. The small Union army, under S. P. Heintzelman’s command is hunted by NG Evans detachment, who won another battle.
[CENTER]
[ATTACH]37043[/ATTACH]
[/CENTER]

Situation on Western Theater: Louisville has been conquered. Bridgehead from Union in Harrodsburg must be destroyed before the cold season.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37044[/ATTACH]
[/CENTER]

Early September 1861, only few movements in the East, CSA wants to make sure ammo and food will reach armies by eliminating all small groups of Union travelling in Virginia and destroying railroads.

In Texas, Buttler is now besieging Galveston.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37046[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

In the Ocean, fleets are doing really good, may be building new blockade runners should not be a waste of materials and money.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37047[/ATTACH]
[/CENTER]

Armies going bigger, we need more rail and river pool! Let’s increase that! We need an army able to travel fast from one point to another.

In Kentucky, Harrodsburg is now in the Confederacy! Troops stopped and started dig in.
Attachments
earlysep61fleet.png
earlysep61butlergalveston.png
lateaugusteasternfront61.png
lateaugust61westernfront.png
lateaugust61matagordafall.png
lateaugust61alexandriafall.png
earlyaugust61kentuckybattle.png
earlyaugust61richmondbattle.png
day of defeat.jpg

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:38 pm

Good luck! I'm looking forward to reading more.
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

Gunther
Private

Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:41 pm

Thx Gray Fox, I'm writting it, I hope to post this evening or tomorrow.

Gunther
Private

Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:07 pm

[ATTACH]37095[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

Late September 1861, on Western front, Manassas is back in our hands.

[CENTER]
[ATTACH]37094[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

On Easter, we have lost Galveston, Houston is probably the next objectives

General situation of war:

[CENTER][ATTACH]37096[/ATTACH]
[/CENTER]

Confederate army is on standby, autumn and the mud stop almost all operations. Some plans have been built but HQ keeps classified it as top secret. Only few generals know what is going on.

Early October 1861, HQ build a new organization for infantry, division. Each unit has been reorganized on charismatic leaders.
Holmes is protecting the capital, trying to destroy Heintzelman forces near Richmond.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37097[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

In the West we have lost a cavalry engagement in Chester.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37098[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

We also lost Rola.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37099[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

It’s time for winter to come and to freeze Union armies in West. Troops are still in training; we can only see enemy advancing. All forces are still near Louisville.

Late October 1861, we pushed through Galveston and won. Now we must take the city and finish with Bulter’s army.
[CENTER]
[ATTACH]37100[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

In Kentucky, Grant is advancing with 9000 men, taking Madisonville, all available units are regrouping around the new army of Tennessee. We must stop him! Even men from Georgia who should have join Virginia are immediately send there.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37101[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

In order to put pressure on East and save Kentucky, HQ decided to attack Fredericktown with Stonewall. On the same time cavalry will cut rail road in Summers in order to cut supply in Harper’s Ferry. Then Johnston will attack!

[CENTER][ATTACH]37102[/ATTACH]
[/CENTER]

In Atlantic, our ships are still bringing us money and materials and our raiders sunk a lot of merchant ships from Union.
[CENTER]
[ATTACH]37103[/ATTACH][/CENTER]
Attachments
lateocto61fleet.png
lateocto61soulagerouest.png
lateocto61grant.png
lateocto61galveston.png
earlyoct61rolla lost.png
earlyoct61cavdefeatwest.png
earlyoct61heintzelmandefeatbyholmes.png
lateset61recap.png
day of defeat.jpg
latesept61Manassasfall.png

Gunther
Private

Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:11 pm

[ATTACH]37180[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

Early November 1861, Grant took Bowling Green, cutting the army in Louisville from line of supply.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37181[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

AS Johnston was ordered to counter attack immediately no matter of losses, this city must fall as soon as possible. The army in Louisville left a division to garrison the city, the other one was also ordered to attack, but it must first move.

[CENTER]
[ATTACH]37182[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

On Eastern theater, Jackson took Fredericksburg, but the lack of men will not allow him to keep it. HQ ask him to burn everything, and take all they can before retreating behind Shenandoah River. The cavalry detachment was asked to destroy rail road and if possible take Morgantown (the picture don’t show it because I take it before I changed my mind).

[CENTER][ATTACH]37183[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

Late November 1861, in Texas, Union army try to escape, losing battle but able to flee.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37184[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

In Bowling Green, Johnston lost the battle. But HQ has got an idea that could annihilate Grant and his forces (I will talk about it later, because I invited my opponent to read the AAR).

[CENTER][ATTACH]37185[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

A small division is coming near Charleston, Shelby launched a surprised attacked and defeat him!

[CENTER][ATTACH]37186[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

Small victory in Indian territory, but Union has sent reinforcement. Troops must withdraw burning everything behind them. Only Indian cav will try to reach and destroyed Rolla.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37187[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

In Virginia, Jackson fall back, and the cav detachment continue to attack.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37188[/ATTACH][/CENTER]
Attachments
latenov61cavvic.png
latenov61vicinindianterr.png
latenov61shelbyatt.png
latenov61GrantvsJohn.png
latenov61mouseandcat.png
earlynov61viriginaoff.png
earlynov61contrekentucky.png
earlynov81Grant.png
day of defeat.jpg

Gunther
Private

Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:46 am

[ATTACH]37201[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

Early December 1861, a small Union detachment tried to make a recon, it’s has been smashed by PGT Beauregard. Now that enemy knows exactly how many troops are in Alexandria, reinforcements are converging there.

[CENTER]
[ATTACH]37197[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]37198[/ATTACH]
[/CENTER]

The bad news came from Winchester, with good positions, entrenched (lvl4) and excellent soldiers, this damn fool of Johnston decided to retreat instead of fighting, the garrison has been destroyed and men captured! Richmond ordered him to reach the Capital immediately to explain why he did that (if somebody can explain it, thx to post).

[CENTER]
[ATTACH]37199[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

On western theater, ours troops continue to follow Grant.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37200[/ATTACH][/CENTER]
Attachments
day of defeat.jpg
earlydec61westernfront.png
earlydec61Johnstonidiot.png
earlydec61attackonalex.png
earlydeceasterfront.png

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:04 am

You named it Days of Defeat, but you seem to be doing rather well. Having all of Kentucky before '62 is quite nice. Though I must say, that attack on Grant was pretty risky. If your opponent had not been in assault posture instead of digging in, things would have gone much worse for you. But judging from the last picture, it seems to have been a good risk.

What posture was Johnston's force using when he retreated? If you want him to stay and fight against a force that doubles his in power, you would need to use 'hold at all costs'. Even then he still may have retreated if the odds were too heavily against him. Having triple the artillery as you is no joke.

Gunther
Private

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:52 am

I named it like that because it's my first PBEM, I don't expect to win at the end :D and I started the game 2 weeks ago without knowing how it will go on. I m posting as soon as I have time, in game we are now only on March 1862, so it's pretty close from AAR's time. I was lucky cause Kentucky join me, and railroad wasn't destroyed that allows me to move fast on Louisville with the troops I was preparing for Kentucky defense after it should have join Union.

I decided to attack Grant to make him use supply, and above all to be desorganize, forbidding him to get further in South. In the same time, some troops were coming from Louisville to reinforce my army and being more powerfull to succeed in my counter offensive aginst an unsupply and low cohesion army. But I also really needed to take Bowling Green to be able to Keep Louisville, my Opponent has strong army there and I need the supply.

Johnston wasn't on defend at all costs but as McDowell has only 10k more men I thought Johnston would have fight.

Gunther
Private

Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:08 pm

[ATTACH]37206[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

Late December 1861, winter is really hard this year, all our offensive operations cost us a lot of men. We can’t afford that. Grant still giving us great difficulties. And bowling Green didn’t fall.
[CENTER]
[ATTACH]37207[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]37208[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

In Texas, Butler manage to escape one more time. Sibley seems to follow easier bottles of alcohol than enemy troops.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37209[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]37210[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

In Rolla, General Watie also lost battle and is now retreating through cold and snow.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37211[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

In Virginia, the scouting cavalry is dying. They were ordered to fall back as soon as possible. All the bad news are strictly controlled by Jefferson. Newspapers didn’t publish it or national moral would collapse.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37212[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

Johnston didn’t follow orders to go to Richmond and immediately attack Winchester and took it back. He wanted to push to Harper’s Ferry but the weather didn’t allow him to do so.
[CENTER]
[ATTACH]37213[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

The good news (at least one) the Trent Affair is getting bigger busting our NM. FI is now 46 (3 others decisions are still available.)

[CENTER][ATTACH]37214[/ATTACH][/CENTER]
Attachments
latedec61trenton.png
latedec61johstonvicto.png
latedec61cavderoute.png
latedec61Watielose.png
latedec61butlerflightman.png
latedec61butlerescape.png
latedec61grantcsadefeat.png
latedec61grantpita.png
day of defeat.jpg

Gunther
Private

Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:59 pm

[ATTACH]37259[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

Early January 1862, Van Dorn took finally Bowling Green. Immediately, a lot of supply was sent to Louisville with railroad for the troops there.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37260[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

We have enough money for now, but we could need more in the future. Confederacy raised taxes and issued war bonds. Inflations is still under 10% which is good.
[CENTER]
[ATTACH]37261[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

A new call for volunteers! Each man that engaged will have 1.5$ as bonus.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37262[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

Late January 1862, in Texas we took Galveston. Butler’s army is still around but we didn’t catch it.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37263[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

In Virginia, Johnston continues to push forward, Harper’s Ferry town is now ours.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37264[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

Nothing else, winter almost stops the war. CSA use this break to train new regiments and form new divisions with the conscript that arrived with call for volunteers. Partial mobilization is now available but people won’t accept it.

Early February 1862, the drunken General finally caught Butler, but he succeeded in escaping again.
[CENTER]
[ATTACH]37265[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

In Kentucky, Union try to push in direction of Louisville. We won the battle but our forces are awakened. Troops will fall back as soon as possible. We have good position in Louisville.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37266[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

In Virginia, Johnston took Harper’s Ferry but Bank hold the ground. Our superiority allowed us to correct that. No more blue coats in HF.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37267[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

Late February 1862, the first Congress took part in Richmond. People are enthusiastic, raising NM and our production. War is going well.
According to our spies, our army is almost the same size as Union. Spring will soon be there, armies are ready, men are motivated to finish war before autumn and harvests, all conditions to launch a quick and decisive campaign on all front are gathered. CSA army didn't make a single move to avoid attrition.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37269[/ATTACH][/CENTER]
Attachments
Latefeb62tableau.png
earlyfeb62harpersbattle.png
earlyfeb62unionattackkentharod.png
earlyfeb62butlerbeaten.png
latejan62harpersferry.png
latejan62glaveston.png
earlyjan62draft.png
earlyjan62moremoney.png
earlyjan62bowlinggreenfall.png
day of defeat.jpg

Gunther
Private

Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:42 am

[ATTACH]37296[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

Early March 1862, South coast is under attack. Burnside Took Milton. Our closest troops need 20 days railroad trip to come there. Some troops waiting to join the Tennessee army are sending there to create a new division to stop Burnside.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37297[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

In Texas the end of Buttler’s army is closed.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37298[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

Late March 62, Burnside is advancing through Alabama. A detachment is scouting and taking Sparta on the way. It seemed that he divided his forces, the counter-offensive will be far easier.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37299[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

In the far West, small skirmish between militia and cavalry.
[CENTER]
[ATTACH]37300[/ATTACH]
[/CENTER]

Army in Louisville under Forrest’s command send a division to take New Albany. This division is needed to make army of Grant fall back by threatening his supply line.
[CENTER]
[ATTACH]37301[/ATTACH][/CENTER]
Attachments
latemarch62incursionalbany.png
latemarch62farouest.png
latemarch62burnsidevic.png
earlymarch62Buttlerstillhim.png
earlymarch62burnsidedébarque.png
day of defeat.jpg

Gunther
Private

Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:13 pm

[ATTACH]37426[/ATTACH]
[/CENTER]

Early April 62, one month after Union assault on Alabama, it’s time to take back what is ours. Pemberton lead the attack, he won but we have more losses.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37427[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]37428[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

While we won in North of Alabama, in the South of it things do not go that well…

[CENTER][ATTACH]37429[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

Johnston decided to move his army in Bowling Green in order to launch the Kentucky offensive against Grant. It was a good idea, enemy tried to take the city with small forces.
[CENTER]
[ATTACH]37430[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

We never had lack of men since the start of war, but the 1862 campaign should be deadly, in order to have enough reserve, CSA declared the partial mobilization. All men between the age of 18 and 35 years old must join army.
[CENTER]
[ATTACH]37431[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

Late April 1862, in the far West, Union is pushing in direction on El Paso, some troops are there but HQ thinks it will fall soon.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37432[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

The counter attack in Mississippi is successful. Reinforcements are still going there. Intelligence reports show that a new division should land soon.
[CENTER]
[ATTACH]37433[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

In Kentucky Van Dorn is now going to take Evansville to cut supply from grant who is South of Madisonville. Meanwhile Johnston will attack Grant to make him use supply.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37434[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

In Virginia we hold position, waiting enemy to strike before doing something.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37435[/ATTACH][/CENTER]
Attachments
lateapril62virginia.png
lateapril62vandorncut grant.png
lateapril62mississipicontre.png
lateapril62farwest.png
earlyapril62conscription.png
earlyapril62battlebowlinggreen.png
earlyjuly62pensacolabattle.png
earlyapril62battlemontgomery.png
earlyapril62alabama.png
day of defeat.jpg

Gunther
Private

Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:06 am

[ATTACH]37481[/ATTACH]
[/CENTER]

Early May 1862, Johnston’s mission didn't succed as wished, but army enemy take some casualties without being able to get reinforcement. A new division will soon join Army of Tenesse.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37482[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

Van Dorn won the battle in Evansville but wasn't able to grab the city in the same time

[CENTER][ATTACH]37483[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

In Viriginia, enemy tried to push towards Richmond but Holmes division strongly entrenched stopped it. Johnston was send to secure Loudon. Only one division is staying in Harpers Ferry.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37484[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

Late May 62 General McClellan move from Harodsburg toward Munfordville. HQ has no idea where he’s going, and decided to send one division to take Harodsburg. This will cut union army supply. And secondly send Forrester and all the troops to Munfordville to counter attack with reinforcement if McClellan attack Louisville.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37485[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

In Arkansas Sterling and Watie hold Fayetteville. They have supply, they will hold.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37486[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

The counter attack on South coast is going well. We hope to liberate all territory soon.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37488[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

In the far West, Baylor is doing well with his little army.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37487[/ATTACH]
[/CENTER]

The attack on Loudon was a failure. We will be back stronger and this time, victory will be ours.
[CENTER]
[ATTACH]37489[/ATTACH]
[/CENTER]
Attachments
latemay62johnstondefeat.png
latemay62battlepensacola.png
latemay62fawest.png
latemay62arkansas.png
latemay62kentucky.png
earlymay62williamsburgvic.png
earlymay62evansville.png
earlymay62kyattack.png
day of defeat.jpg

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:04 pm

Great read! You might try employing more artillery in your stacks. Even an average 3-star can command more than a dozen batteries in say a woods region. Keep up the good work.

Gunther
Private

Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:45 pm

Hi Gray Fox and thanks. There is only few arty in this army cause at that time I was creating the arty division that must integrate this stack. For example in Kentucky, there is now no general with the arty advantage so I tried to put 2-3 batteries in each division. But I must admit that this move with Johnston was a mistake, at this point of war. I was waiting for Lee to create a powerful army of Northern Virginia with 2 corps under Jackson and Longstreet. But as you will see, June will be the turning point of this war and the things won't go as planned.

Gunther
Private

Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:21 pm

[ATTACH]37504[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

Early June 1862, Johnston continued to harass Grant with a little victory.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37505[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

Strategy in Munfordville was the good one. McClellan attacked the city and we win thanks to reinforcement and General Forrester. We also captured supply wagons. (lost 2 pictures, there were 3 battles here…). We also took Harodsburg. Now it’s time to destroyed this army.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37507[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

Conquest of South coast is hard. Detachments were sent in our back and took cities. One month lost to clean union groups.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37506[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

In Virginia, Beauregard launched Jackson’s corps and was ready to help him. Victory!

[CENTER][ATTACH]37508[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

Late June 1862, 1st part, Whipple is trying to escape Munfordville, but General Forrest won’t let him do so. A new a battle occurred, but the Union army is still resisting.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37509[/ATTACH][/CENTER]
[CENTER]
[ATTACH]37510[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

Johnston is still trying to push back Union army in Muhlenburg to secure Louisville supply lines. Defeat again. But Robert E. Lee was appointed General and left Richmond to take command in Tennessee.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37511[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

In Missouri Shelby hold Charleston and inflicted heavy casualties to enemy.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37513[/ATTACH][/CENTER]
Attachments
latejune62charlestonshelbywon.png
latejune62battleofmhulenburg.png
latejune62munfordvillebattle.png
latejune62kentuckytheater.png
earlyjune62battleloudon.png
earlyjune62kentuckymunfordville.png
earlyjune62pensacola.png
earlyjune62johnstongrant.png
day of defeat.jpg

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:22 pm

FYI, I noticed in many of your battles that you don't seem to have the intrinsic supply icon on the battle report. It's the round icon with three boxes and a green background under the troops icons. In fact, in the battle of Pensacola, Pemberton seems to have the "out of ammo" icon.

"Supply Wagon Special Features
A Supply Wagon provides a +10% Fire bonus during combat (provided it has Ammunition points available). This feature is not cumulative if multiple Supply Wagons are present.
Supply Wagons shield friendly units from the effects of adverse weather by trading General Supply points over Attrition hits. One (1) Attrition hit is negated for every five (5) General Supply Points expended in this manner.
Supply Wagons reduce the effect of Attrition on Forces they accompany by 10%.
A besieged force will rarely surrender as long as a Supply Wagon (with General Supply points remaining) is located inside the besieged city. Once its General Supply points have been consumed, however, this special feature is lost."

and

"Lack of Ammunition and Combat
Units that are unable to satisfy their Ammunition requirements during a turn suffer a loss of combat effectiveness when participating in combat. This loss of effectiveness is separate from (and in addition to) combat penalties assessed due to a lack of general supply. Note: The penalty for participating in combat without adequate ammunition is quite severe (as you might imagine)."

http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/Supply#Supply_Wagon_Special_Features

Supply wagons are expensive, but their effect does add up over a lot of fighting.

Gunther
Private

Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:31 pm

I didn't know that you have a bonus for having supply wagon in your army. Thx a lot, for Pemberton I haven't much supply wagon cause I built a lot of depot in Kentucky and as Montgomery was not far for Sparta, I thought that supply will be ok but it wasn't. On the next turn I built some wagons for him. I have to study better how the supply lines work, it's not the first time I m in trouble.

Gunther
Private

Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:54 pm

[ATTACH]37576[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

Late June 1862, 2nd part.

While Shelby was winning his battle, Hardee is attacking Metropolis, besieging the city and destroying an Union cavalry detachment.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37577[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

In Alabama we are holding Sparta, no one more step back. Each man must stand and fall where he is!

[CENTER][ATTACH]37578[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]37579[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

In Virginia, huge disaster for Union army, ¾ of men killed or captured and 8100 rifles took on enemy. It could be the turning point of this war. Generals and men want now to push forward, initiative is on our side.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37580[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]37582[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]37581[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

War is going in our favor, but we know that North industry is strong and they have many more man than we do. HQ decided to extend partial mobilization to men from 35 to 40 years old.

[CENTER][ATTACH]37583[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]37584[/ATTACH][/CENTER]
Attachments
latejune62mobilization.png
latejune62résumé.png
latejune62uniondisasterresult.png
latejune62easterntheater.png
latejune62uniondisasterinvirginia.png
latejune62battleofsparta.png
latejune62alabamatheater.png
latejune62cairovict.png
day of defeat.jpg

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:21 pm

Super job! Beau went John Wick on the Union army.

FYI, Huger has the artillerist special ability, but he really sucks as a Division commander, due to his low stats. Fortunately, the artillerist ability works for the entire stack even if Huger is a lone General. The artillery fire every round because they are support units, so I try to put one of my best Generals in command of the artillery Division. In the stack you have with Beauregard, that would be Magruder. Just my two cents worth of advice. You are really doing well and don't need any help. Perhaps I should give some advice to GWGardner.

Gunther
Private

Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:58 pm

I didn't know that Huger have arty ability, did'nt notice it. I don't think Gwgardner need advices, he's giving me a hard time, I never know what he's going to do and surprised me a lot, the double landings on South coast (Texas and near Mobile) were bad surprises. I was lucky to read other AAR's where I see what human players do, and thanks to that, prepared force to counter those. Gwgardner make only two mistakes, didn't buy a lot of troops since the beginning and the attack on Alexandria. The last one destroyed a corp that allowed me to take a huge Advantage, now I will try to push trough Maryland. Without it, I will still be on defensive position in Virginia (that's why I sent Lee in KY, I planned to Launch offensive only there but after Alexandria's battle, I changed my mind). I also won some battles that I could have lost. This war isn't not over and as Yamamoto said: "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve". 1863 will be decisive!

Return to “CW2 AARs”