charlesonmission

YouTube AAR - charlesonmission (Union) versus Kentuckian (CSA)

Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:43 pm

Time to start another YouTube AAR. This time I'll be the Union. The playlist is hereor follow the channel.

Settings

Delayed Commitment: Medium Delay
Foreign Entry: Normal
Historical Attrition" On
Activation Rule: Veteran Option
Naval Box Handling: Standard
Extended Pool: Historical Allowance
Easy Supply: Off
Traffic Penalty: Low
Auto Replacements: Off

House Rules
1. No attacking via river transport (must load on actual built transport ships to attack a region), regular movement to one owned region from another via river transport points is totally fine.
2. Deep raids must have a leader attached (i usually count a raid as 3-4+ regions away from a main army stack or owned region, into occupied territory.

I won't post every time there is a new video. However, happy to answer questions here and I'll post if something especially interesting happens.

Thanks to Kentuckian for offering to play

Charles
Looking for CW2, ACW or AJE tutorials, check out my YouTube channel

FightingBuckeye
Lieutenant Colonel

Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:45 pm

I look forward to following this campaign. Best of luck and thanks for the AAR.

BattleVonWar
Major

Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:24 pm

Mutually, I will definitely follow. Also immediately a perfect method of entrenching with your freebies : ) Make those locked militia do something
For every Southern boy fourteen years old, not once but whenever he wants it, there is the instant when it's still not yet two o'clock on that July afternoon in 1863 ~~~

DaddyRess
Private

Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:38 pm

Hey Charles, I've watched your Civil war 1 and 2 videos in the past, if you ever want or need an opponent I'd love to play a game with you.

havi
Colonel

Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:53 pm

hello i have been playing against kentuckian now what 6 times and every time he wipe the floor at me and now i see he is doing same to you, makes me feel better :wacko: . u have to look all the small things against him he does everything so good and what i see he is giving u hard time everywhere and if i know anything he will give u more hardships so good luck charles you are going to need it.

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:31 am

Moving Halleck around with the veteran activation option is a bad combination. He lies to you, don't believe him when he tells you that he active this turn.

BattleVonWar
Major

Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:54 am

Halleck, is great for training though :P He just doesn't need to move at all

Cardinal Ape wrote:Moving Halleck around with the veteran activation option is a bad combination. He lies to you, don't believe him when he tells you that he active this turn.
For every Southern boy fourteen years old, not once but whenever he wants it, there is the instant when it's still not yet two o'clock on that July afternoon in 1863 ~~~

charlesonmission

Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:34 pm

Yes, it's looking bad for the Union. I'll need 62 to regroup... just lost Harpers Ferry and Grant was pushed out of Dyer TN.

pob303
Private

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:57 am

Charles, thank you for another entertaining and informative AAR. It might be just for me, but the last vid posted (Late Feb 1862) is a bit blurry? I could not clearly see the HP battle results.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:06 pm

I think that your Mississippi campaign is a little too ambitious. You need those men in MD now. I would have pulled Hamilton all the way back from HF to D.C. Why are you only using two army commands? An army in the capital would really be a good idea to strengthen the defenses...
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

FightingBuckeye
Lieutenant Colonel

Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:05 am

FYI Charles, you can clear off all the units off the screen except any selected one by hitting F4. It's great for sending units into a crowded region without ordering them to join a stack and for seeing any terrain features, loyalty, etc. Good luck in your quest to stabilizing your position.

charlesonmission

Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:27 am

In YouTube, you can switch to HD by clicking on setting in circle tool in the bottom right of the screen and then in settings change it to HD. YouTube defaults to what it think your bandwidth can handle, but you can manually change it per video.

pob303 wrote:Charles, thank you for another entertaining and informative AAR. It might be just for me, but the last vid posted (Late Feb 1862) is a bit blurry? I could not clearly see the HP battle results.

charlesonmission

Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:29 am

Can't agree more. Now that the corps command is set, it will be better now. I really should have moved McClellan to Harpers Ferry earlier... if I had done that, I wouldn't have lost it.

Gray Fox wrote:I think that your Mississippi campaign is a little too ambitious. You need those men in MD now. I would have pulled Hamilton all the way back from HF to D.C. Why are you only using two army commands? An army in the capital would really be a good idea to strengthen the defenses...

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:55 am

I usually entrench one army under Baker inside D.C., so that he can recruit and another in Frederick MD. After you blow the depot in HF it's just not worth the casualties. The armory doesn't produce WS. Good luck!

FightingBuckeye
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:14 pm

Gray Fox wrote:I usually entrench one army under Baker inside D.C., so that he can recruit and another in Frederick MD. After you blow the depot in HF it's just not worth the casualties. The armory doesn't produce WS. Good luck!

Baker? Banks or Butler? Sooooo many combat worthless Union generals!

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:52 am

Butcher = Butler
Baker = Banks
Candlestick maker = J. C.

Rub a dub dub,
Three fools in a tub,
And who do you think they be?
The butcher, the baker,
The candlestick maker.
Turn them out, knaves all three.

FightingBuckeye
Lieutenant Colonel

Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:49 am

Charles, things are going decidedly south for you there. What do you have in Illinois, Indy, etc to counter the StLo grab?

BattleVonWar
Major

Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:55 am

Obviously agreed, here you have a MASSIVE amount of Recruits/War Supply there not put into the field. Your opponent is one amazing Confederate player too. He is dashing about like a mad cavalry commander, smack one objective, then another when you least expect it a true Forrest fan..smacking one objective in your blind spot. The Union starts off very good at posting Massive Fat Stacks with awful Generals and fairs well on the defense. She doesn't do as well early on the offense...

FightingBuckeye wrote:Charles, things are going decidedly south for you there. What do you have in Illinois, Indy, etc to counter the StLo grab?

B0rn_C0nfused
Sergeant

Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:23 am

I've been watching he AAR. I thought if you kept St. Louis, held onto Mobile and the confederates were not able to break out from HF, to say Pittsburgh, or some other city you'd be in decent shape. Now you just seem pretty flucked.

FightingBuckeye
Lieutenant Colonel

Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:52 pm

Did you build any industry in StLo that is now in CSA hands or was it just the regular structures?

Orphan_kentuckian
Sergeant

Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:39 pm

I was hesitant to come to the thread hoping to avoid any strategic talk by Charles, but it seems he has saved that for the videos.

Mobile is a bigger thorn in my side than ppl are giving him credit for. Basically he can go in two separate directions with decent size forces which can threaten Atlanta and New Orleans, so I have to devote troops there which will take them away from other theaters.

Besides its only 1862 so he will be able to heavily reinforce his threatened areas. The diplomat event which gives the north +10 NM is now a huge deal, else he would have been below 75 NM and I might have had a real chance at ending this early. As it stands now I see this one going to 64' easily, perhaps beyond.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:39 pm

You both seem to have a very original game that explores interesting strategies. Kentuckian seems to be exploiting the weaknesses in your plan. However, he does not seem to have a KO punch. Taking St. Louis may look good on a resume, but this is not a war winner. Time is not on his side...

havi
Colonel

Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:27 pm

so mr.gray u r saying that kentuckian should go to white house and bring the other kentuckian out there?

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:32 pm

Charles still has too much NM for a D.C. grab to end the game. Perhaps Kentuckian is trying to accrue enough NM from smaller targets to make a one-hit wonder possible. Time will tell.

havi
Colonel

Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:39 pm

well i can bet kentuckian has aces on the sleeve,and i can see his next target and probably u have noticed it to. Btw have u noticed that the FE is at 55 we may see britain and france in there if it goes long enough.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:19 pm

Good point. They certainly have an interesting game that could go either way. Good job gents!

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:24 pm

Very nice game to follow. One aspect of the game I donet really like is general is that it is too easy to know quite well how many troops the ennemy has whether in friendly or ennemy territory. Recon when on the offense should be a lot more difficult and require more military units (adjacent cavalry to raise DLC). Anway small detail. Great game, keep it up !

FightingBuckeye
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:26 am

The last video posted was on the 21st and Charles hasn't been on this site in six days. I hope you're doing alright healthwise Charles and hope it's just the usual vagaries of life that are keeping you away.

FightingBuckeye
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:33 pm

The newest video is up now for those interested.

charlesonmission

Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:10 am

Hi, yes, everything was fine (in real life, in the game... the Union is in trouble). Hit a busy time at work and then was away for the weekend. Thanks for asking.

FightingBuckeye wrote:The last video posted was on the 21st and Charles hasn't been on this site in six days. I hope you're doing alright healthwise Charles and hope it's just the usual vagaries of life that are keeping you away.

Return to “CW2 AARs”