charlesonmission

Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:32 pm

And - the game just had its final turn. Minor victory for the Union by VPs. The CSA still had 3 larges armies and 3 objective cities, so I think they did very well considering this went all the way.
Looking for CW2, ACW or AJE tutorials, check out my YouTube channel

Orphan_kentuckian
Sergeant

Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:50 am

Many thanks to Charles for accepting my offer to play. I am a big fan of his other Youtube video AAR's and was honored to be able to play him. He is an excellent player who taught me quite a bit, not only about the game but about my own play style as well.

As far as the war went, I think I held my own for the most part. My major folly was crossing the Potomac three times hoping for a quick victory. On hindsight I would have just sit in my trenches and defended while railing forces down to LA when he landed at New Orleans and hopefully stabilized a front there. The first two times I moved on Washington cost me 3 1/2 divisions when it was all said and done, which i had to take from the west to supplement the ANV. Losses the CSA can ill afford. By my nature I am an aggressive player and always want to be on the move, yet Charles taught me (quite well I may add), that sometimes you have to bite your lip and stay in those trenches!

All in all I had a great time. I have yet to go an entire game and have to say after the DC debacles I didn't think I would get there. :)

So congratulations to Charles on a well earned victory, and I hope everyone who watched enjoyed it as much as I did!

B0rn_C0nfused
Sergeant

Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:57 am

Orphan_kentuckian wrote:Many thanks to Charles for accepting my offer to play. I am a big fan of his other Youtube video AAR's and was honored to be able to play him. He is an excellent player who taught me quite a bit, not only about the game but about my own play style as well.

As far as the war went, I think I held my own for the most part. My major folly was crossing the Potomac three times hoping for a quick victory. On hindsight I would have just sit in my trenches and defended while railing forces down to LA when he landed at New Orleans and hopefully stabilized a front there. The first two times I moved on Washington cost me 3 1/2 divisions when it was all said and done, which i had to take from the west to supplement the ANV. Losses the CSA can ill afford. By my nature I am an aggressive player and always want to be on the move, yet Charles taught me (quite well I may add), that sometimes you have to bite your lip and stay in those trenches!

All in all I had a great time. I have yet to go an entire game and have to say after the DC debacles I didn't think I would get there. :)

So congratulations to Charles on a well earned victory, and I hope everyone who watched enjoyed it as much as I did!

I didn't want to post too much, but I think there was a time an offensive operation would of worked. If you go back and watch his videos I think you might have been able to find it. You started to dig in and hold the line in TN/NVA. Which was fine. However shortly after that I think there was a chance to push. That time passed, then you pushed. The timing of it all was very strange to me.

Also, my memory may have been off. However, when you pushed for D.C later why didn't you set LEE to assault posture instead of attempting a siege?

Orphan_kentuckian
Sergeant

Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:32 pm

B0rn_C0nfused wrote:I didn't want to post too much, but I think there was a time an offensive operation would of worked. If you go back and watch his videos I think you might have been able to find it. You started to dig in and hold the line in TN/NVA. Which was fine. However shortly after that I think there was a chance to push. That time passed, then you pushed. The timing of it all was very strange to me.

Also, my memory may have been off. However, when you pushed for D.C later why didn't you set LEE to
assault posture instead of attempting a siege?

I did have Lee on assault posture when I entered DC, however he decided not to assault after the actual battle probably because his cohesion was to low. I knew after that the game was over because he could just move the capitol.

As far as offensives go I couldn't go anywhere in KY with Longstreets large force because with his huge river navy he could just cut me off from Tenn. He did just that when he moved Grant there and I couldn't risk being trapped there. As I said I should have just stayed the defensive in VA because the NM difference was so high at that time I might have been able to win a couple more big battles. But that's a big maybe. Not getting the DC grab basically ended the game, it just took a while.

charlesonmission

Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:35 pm

In all fairness, the CSA did last to the end, so I think you get a lot of credit. It was a minor victory by VPs only for the Union.

B0rn_C0nfused
Sergeant

Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:10 pm

Orphan_kentuckian wrote:I did have Lee on assault posture when I entered DC, however he decided not to assault after the actual battle probably because his cohesion was to low. I knew after that the game was over because he could just move the capitol.

As far as offensives go I couldn't go anywhere in KY with Longstreets large force because with his huge river navy he could just cut me off from Tenn. He did just that when he moved Grant there and I couldn't risk being trapped there. As I said I should have just stayed the defensive in VA because the NM difference was so high at that time I might have been able to win a couple more big battles. But that's a big maybe. Not getting the DC grab basically ended the game, it just took a while.

I think there was a chance to push in the east, but it should have been a done a little earlier.

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:22 am

To be honest, if the CSA lasts till the end, it is a minor victory for the CSA by any means. Interesting game though I had great fun watching the videos.

maars85
Conscript

Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:20 pm

Thx Charles I had great time watching your AAR - please give us more :)

TyrannicalTyler
Corporal

Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:19 pm

Charles, your AAR youtube videos where really entertaining! Please do more if you have the time!

charlesonmission

Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:08 pm

Glad you enjoyed them!

TyrannicalTyler wrote:Charles, your AAR youtube videos where really entertaining! Please do more if you have the time!

Return to “CW2 AARs”