Straight Arrow
General

Southern Supplement to Buckeye Vs Arrow AAR

Tue May 26, 2015 1:12 am

Sorry folks, but this action report picks up in midstream.

Fightingbuckeye asked for the Southern view point, and as I can not give it to him without letting the cat out of the bag, I decided to go with his suggestion and post a supplement. Keep in mind this is just an add-on to buckeye’s work, so please don’t expect much.

We have both agreed to not look at each other’s AAR, so there's no coordination. Reading this will probably be like listening to two radio stations at the same time. Sorry, no maps, pictures or cool images - just words. If I learn the skills, find the time, or get my hands on the software that draws all those neat map arrows and circles, I might try adding them in future.

From April 61 to present.

To bring you up to date – war plans for the:

East
I’ll go for Harper’s Ferry, and sit on Manassas until he loses the 10 NM points. After that, I’ll look for an opportunity to push out of the valley into the back of DC. I plan on holding the line and try taking advantage of any mistakes that open chinks in his armor. But, I’m not that great at offense and Cardinal Ape did a great job of humbling me in our last game. It is very possible I might hesitate at the crucial moment and miss my chance.

West
In the west, I will build and gather enough cannon and supply units to run up and construct a fort at Paducah. I also need a force strong enough to grab and hold Bowling Green while still sitting on Nashville. I’m going to try and drain the KY force pool and then fight every step of the way back to Chattanooga.

Transmississippi
Creating trouble in MO is the plan. But I’m not going to commit a whole lot of forces. I’m hoping big cavalry brigades from VA mixed in with the Indians will make strong cavalry divisions that will be hard to pin down and require a fair chunk of his western manpower to garrison against.

In the Far West, the same thing. A good cavalry leader, a few regular builds, lots of dancing around, some barn burning and a few pokes to the eye. Lots of fun and good for ego building! I might even be able to pick up some NM by killing small units. I don’t know if I have the skill to pull this off, but I’m going to try.

Costal
Waiting for Northern player to drop the hammer on the coast is never fun. Trying to protect the coast is like a naked, one armed lady trying to cover herself.

The sea coast down to Wilmington will be protected by spinning off a reaction force from the Army of N VA. And, as the Southern rail system tends to break in your hand when you need it most. I plan on developing strong, holding forces at New Orleans, Mobile and Charlestown.

Naval
I have a navy?
Blockade runners to one box to waste ½ of his effort.
Pull together the free ironclads into one hard hitting force on the Mississippi.
Work as a delaying force.
Hang out behind key forts and try to keep the rivers free for supply transfer.
Build runners as possible.

Production
Build iron works in costal cities.
Build ammo sources later in the game.
Try to keep the rail and water transportation systems working.
Create a supply network with cheap flat boats.
Crank out troops.

October 61
East
Buckeye seems to like playing with cavalry raids. The last one really cost me when, an excellent Virginia brigade, that was moving to Manassas, decided to follow a scouting regiment to Alexandria and their death. This gave Buckeye a gift of 3 NM.

There is a hole at Clarke, VA; I am going to plug it before he tries slipping anymore units behind my lines. If the boys in blue hold Clarke, they will cut off easy access to the Shenandoah Valley. I’m going to try shifting a couple of divisions under Old Pete to hold the area and catch any of those people moving to or fro. Thanks to rails, the gray backs should get their first and have the advantage of terrain and excellent leadership.

Surprise, surprise, Buckeye is sure playing aggressive for a Federal commander with undependable leadership. He slid past Harpers Ferry and took Winchester. This may open an opportunity to strike with the Army of Potomac. I’m leaving Manassas to a make-shift collection of units and moving by rail to strike at the Federals in Winchester. Longstreet and his force will join us for the attack. I’m thinking Buckeye is going to pound on J Johnson in HP. My main army move is laid out to end in HP, but there is no way, I’ll make it in time to help. J Johnson will just have to hold Harpers Ferry by himself

As Buckeye lost the 10 NM for not moving, Manassas is not quite as important. I doubt he will bother trying to attack in November with Butler. The Federals might hit me with Hooker. We will see. If he does, I think there’s enough strength in Manassas to hold him off.

West
In the West, I have a 2 division army ready to run up to Bowling Green. One of the divisions is a weak cavalry formation. I’ll try to gather all the low hanging fruit, dig in and drain the KY force pool as much as possible.

Buckeye has built a strong river line force. So, I’m guessing he’ll hit Nashville or Memphis hard sometime in the spring. I’ll have to hold both places in strength. Grant has already hit #10 and there is not much I can do about it. Polk is next door and has 2 divisions, so he’s just a little below Grant’s pwr. Polk will keep an eye on the boys in blue and try to limit their local, land movements.

Transmississippi
The spoiling raids I was setting up for have to be delayed.

In MO, I’m concentrating and hope for the best. Combat losses at Fayetteville will really hurt as the army there is cavalry heavy. Stand Waite cavalry division just hit full strength and was ready to start making Kansas bleed again. I really hated tossing those expensive troops into a meat grinder.

Far West
From this point on, the Far West will not receive any more resources. For now, Shelby’s division is strong enough to smack the Federals hard. So that is just what I’m going to do. The force at Ft Craig has an empty supply bar; they are ripe for pounding. No time to waste messing around with a siege, we are going in on a hot assault.

Costal
The Southern rail system tends to break in your hand when you need it most. Rather than a reaction force, I'm starring to build holding forces at New Orleans, Mobile and Charlestown.

Naval
Not a clue what he is trying to do. Ships are outside all my harbors. I guess they are trying to scare me by strutting, sticking out their chests and boasting, “We could land here.” Or, maybe the detachments are there to mask a future attack, or just keep an eye on what is where, or to temp my limited forces into chasing their tail. Don’t know, but it seems like a waste to me.

On the other hand, Buckeye's fleet of timeberclads got my attention fast.

Production
Almost all WS went into bronze 12 ponders. I’m tired of not having enough artillery, so for now I'll build the cheaper stuff for defensive units and fort stacks.

November 61
East
Buckeye's raiding force ran smack into Longstreet and died. A fitting end to the pied pippers that lead so many good southern boys to their doom.

Last turn’s attack on McDowell was delayed by another union cavalry unit that had the misfortune to blunder into my attacking force. The horsemen were wiped out, but their deaths bought enough time to delay the attack on Winchester. The Army of the Potomac in Strasburg has been ordered to relaunch the attack on McDowell. If Federal troops do not reinforce, the CSA will have a slender 350 pwr advantage. But as Jackson and Longstreet are leading divisions in the attack, and the north has mud to contend with, I think we’ll push McDowell back and out the area.

I was very lucky J Johnson was not attacked at Harper’s Ferry. Last turn his army was hit with an epidemic and severely weakened.

I have been ignoring the siege of Lewisburg, in western VA, by a Federal cavalry unit. The city contains almost as many troops as the attackers and a supply unit, so their chance of surrendering is reduced to 5%. I thought supply problems would drive away the Yankees. That does not seem to be working, so I’ll swing a brigade out of Richmond by rail to shoo them away.

West
Kentucky is still inactive. Memphis is being reinforced with two brigades raised in MO. Polk is glaring at Grant in #10 and hoping he won’t attack. There are 4 6lbs and a supply wagon waiting to rush up to Paducah and build a fort. A Johnson and the Army of Tennessee, a whole whopping 1 ½ divisions has gone intro winter quarters and is training. Everyone is waiting until the ball drops.

Transmississippi
The raids still on hold.

Van Dorn held against Lyon last turn, but the Federals did not retreat. I’ll try launching a counter attack with my slender 100 pwr advantage. Van Dorn is fair at dancing around, but he’s lousy in combat. Once again I’m risking valuable cavalry in a meat grinder. Is that stupid or what? Still the chance of holding on the western MO is worth a toss of the dice.

Far West
Shelby took Ft Craig; the boys in blue retreated into the desert; they are outnumbered and out of hard tack. I’m going to run them down and get me some of them there spoils of war. Shelby could use a few more wagons and artillery.

I have several units trying to tear up the stockade chain that links Denver to Kansas. This might be a waste of effort, but hopefully the raiding will impact the Yankee's diet. One of my valuable mounted infantry units is out on the plains, staggering from place to place and looking for anything that is edible; they are in a race against death. I would have never sent them out if I had remembered cavalry divisions should contain a mounted infantry unit so they can take cities.

Costal
Whoa, there’s an invasion fleet outside of New Orleans! How did I miss that? It’s not really strong, it is probably there to do some fort busting. As aggressive as Buckeye seems to be, he might be looking to take a stab at NO. I’m kicking myself for sending all my gun boats up river. A naval attack, would delay Buckeye’s landing for 5 more days, giving me a total of 10 days to shuffle troops. I’m pushing a few units over to Fort Pike, but they have to cross the bay. I fear they will be too little and too late. One of Polk’s divisions is being railed back to the NO, but it’s a 16 day ride, also a day late and a dollar short. If the city falls, they’ll be in position for a counterattack.

Production
A mixed bag of infantry, support units and artillery spread out across the board.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth.

Straight Arrow
General

Wed May 27, 2015 4:58 pm

There was a mix up in orders last turn. Buckeye and I are doing the two radio stations at the same time thing.

Hopefully, the game will be straightened out soon and we'll all get moving. Speed wise we're on a mud march.

Straight Arrow
General

Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:53 pm

Late Nov 1863

Who knew what you could do with paint brush?

Our orders have been untangled and we are moving again - here are the results from Southern eyes.

East
Blood, blood, blood everywhere. After 3 days of combat and 8, 500 CSA casualties, that’s 22% of the attacking army and 2 NM lost for McDowell’s 7,000 casualties, Beauregard failed to push the Federals out of Winchester.

Where is Lee?

Time to hold and lick my wounds. Longstreet is going to Manassas to take charge and defend the ground. Jackson will switch divisions and his battered troops will go off the firing line to rebuild. Beauregard will sit tight, rebuild and train. J Johnson will hold Harpers Ferry by his lonesome self.

[ATTACH]33655[/ATTACH]

West
The West is where my hair is going to fall out. Kentucky is still neutral and Grant is squatting outside the forts guarding Nashville with almost 1200 pwr. I have only ½ of that in the Army of the Tennessee. Bragg has been training the boys hard, but now everyone, but the new builds, need to go back into the ranks to face the threat.

Polk will shift his division over to Ft Henry. This will leave the Mississippi River without a covering force other than an almost empty division and the static units at Memphis. A brigade is being sent to Ft Donelson from the Army of Tennessee and one weak division of militia is being transferred up from NO by rail to help hold Memphis.

[ATTACH]33656[/ATTACH]

Trans Mississippi
For now, Van Dorn has pushed Lyon out of Fayetteville. A lot of gray coated horsemen gave their all to make this happen; the victory was dearly bought. I can’t afford this again. Hopefully bad weather and the need to refit will send Lyon to Springfield, giving me some much needed breathing space and time in MO. If not and Van Dorn is pressured, he will fall back to the Arkansas River.

[ATTACH]33657[/ATTACH]

Far West
In the Far West, Shelby did well, picking up two artillery units and a wagon as spoils of war. But then again, who wouldn’t have done well against a starving opponent with 8 to 1 odds in your favor?

Shelby is out of food and all the powder is spent, so he’s pulling back to restock the wagons. Next stop, Santé Fe.

Out in the plains, the boys in gray are gobbling up chunks of the Kansas to Colorado stockade chain. I’m thinking that Yankee hardtack and coffee stocks should be running pretty low.

[ATTACH]33658[/ATTACH]

Costal
Buckeye’s fleet has vanished and I have 2 divisions sitting in New Orleans; Fort Pike has been reinforced. No idea where he’s going to hit: Florida, Texas, Mobile? There’s a heap of places his boys could stroll ashore without getting wet or hearing a shot. I’ll take a good look at all his picket ships to see if they’re hiding in plain sight.

A brigade is being sent to Mobile by rail to start a division and a leader is on his way to Pensacola, and one weak division of militia is being transferred by rail from NO to Memphis.

[ATTACH]33659[/ATTACH]

Naval
The Mississippi fleet will sit tight at New Orleans and link up with a free iron clad coming off the stocks.

Production
1st priority is replacements to cover last turns loses. What’s left goes into Western theater infantry.
Attachments
Marked NO.png
Far West marked.png
Transmissippi Marked.png
Marked West.png
Marked east.png

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:16 am

Its good to see you guys get your game back on track. Even better that you learned how to take screenshots.

Evil in the form of a cigar chopping killer... good one.

Your foreign intervention is at 44 in '61!? Might it actually happen in your game?

You made a comment in your first post about how you might hesitate at the wrong moment. It reminded me of Sherman talking about Grant:

"I am a damned sight smarter man than Grant. I know more about military history, strategy, and grand tactics than he does. I know more about supply, administration, and everything else than he does. I'll tell you where he beats me though and where he beats the world. He doesn't give a damn about what the enemy does out of his sight, but it scares me like hell. … I am more nervous than he is. I am more likely to change my orders or to countermarch my command than he is. He uses such information as he has according to his best judgment; he issues his orders and does his level best to carry them out without much reference to what is going on about him and, so far, experience seems to have fully justified him."

As Frank Herbert said, 'Fear is the mind killer.'

I'm not saying any of that applies to you. I just find it very interesting that a lot of good military leaders in the ACW seem to share this mentality. I speculate that after Sherman came to this realization about Grant is when he made the transition from a good general to a great one. Or maybe it was the cigars.

Straight Arrow
General

Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:23 am

Early December 1681

Upper East
This is where things get crazy. We should be in winter quarters. My troop movements are too complex to work without a hitch and they require draining the rail pool dry. A strong danger exists that an attack by the North could catch me switching horses in the middle of the stream.

Jackson’s division will attack the Federal force that boldly entered Strasburg. If successful and time allows, he will move up to Morgan WV to hold open an escape route for Johnson at Harper’s Ferry.

Johnson and his army have plenty of supplies, so he’s in no hurry to leave HP. However Johnson might be hit hard and needs to keep a retreat route open.

Beauregard will not join in the attack. He will hold Strasburg in case McDowell launches an assault. Longstreet and 2 divisions are railing to Strasburg to join him.

A small brigade is moving by rail to New Market to prop the door open for Beauregard if has to retreat in that direction.

Magruder is railing up to Manassas to join the division there and hold the ground. This weak force might tempt buckeye to attack next turn. I intend to reinforce Manassas in Late December with Bragg and 2 divisions from Richmond. Even though the troops are available, the move must be delayed, as I’m out of rail points.

[ATTACH]33676[/ATTACH]

Lower East
A fort is being built at Norfolk, four 6 pds and a wagon are on site and ready to go.

Buckeye only has a couple of hundred pwr in Ft Monroe. If he moves, Jackson’s old division is being rebuilt in Richmond and is available to react.

Magruder’s division is being railed to Manassas.

[ATTACH]33678[/ATTACH]

Appalachia
A brigade is moving to chase away Federal cavalry besieging Lewisburg. I have no idea how strong the boys in blue are, but they must have a supply wagon. The CSA infantry will enter the area without attacking, blue/green. As I have more than 6% Military Control, the siege should be broken without risking an assault.

[ATTACH]33680[/ATTACH]

West
The army of Tennessee will enter Humhrey without attacking on green/green orders. I have 100% Military Control, so the siege can be broken without assaulting Grant. If the Federals attack me, I’ll back pedal. But either way, Fort Donelson should be relieved.

it looks like the reasoning behind my actions was flawed and will not work.

[color="#FFFF00"]Captain Bear commented, “I do not believe they will lift a siege, but I've never actually tried it.
At patch level 1.06RC3+, if they move in DP into the region, they will be automatically changed to OP and receive 5% MC and attempt to attack the enemy in the region. If you move them in PP into the region, they will gain no MC, but after that, because they have <5% MC, once changed to DP they will automatically be changed to OP and attack at that point.
A stack in PP fights with a penalty if a battle develops, but they will have a greater chance at retreating from the battle, after the first two battle rounds I believe." [/color]

Polk will hold Fort Henry. I am shifting the 4 artillery units and supply wagon construction crew to Memphis and will construct a fort there. At this point, I do not have enough manpower to garrison a fort at Paducah or a field army to cover the area. A division is moving up from NO to Nashville by rail to help even the odds.

In this theater I am facing Grant and out powered 3 to 2. But the real problem is his powerful fleet and ability to make lightning fast moves by water. I hope the rivers freeze.

[ATTACH]33677[/ATTACH]

Trans Mississippi
An excellent move by buckeye. I didn’t expect him to build a stockade in the middle of nowhere. I figured the Federals would fall back on their supply source for the winter months. With Lyon sitting on my door step, I can’t pull my cavalry division out of line to launch raids, I need another division to hold up the shield while the mounted boys tear up the rear areas; but there isn’t one available.

High Plains
The High plains drifters are sitting tight. The wandering mounted infantry finally stumbled into an empty Fort Ellsworth and found supplies. With luck, they won’t be attacked and will have enough breathing time to rebuild. I’m not going to burn the posts yet; that would leave my boys with nothing in the middle of nowhere. We’ll risk buckeye taking back the stockades.

It looks like my plundering raids have forced the commitment of more cavalry to the Far West. If they keep heading west towards NM and CO, they might end up making a mighty tasty snack for Shelby.

Far West
Shelby is marching to attack Albuquerque. Next turn he’ll probably strike at Santé Fe.
The second wagon is staying behind to drain supplies from local stockades. Once full, the wagon will push north to link up with Shelby.

A force of cavalry and rangers is striking at Taos. They will grab any low hanging fruit and mess some more with Buckeye’s supply network.

I have demonstrators at both gold/silver fields. Come January, this might allow the creation of copperhead units at the mines. The CSA sure could use that gold. An added benefit will be picking up the deserter Mark Twain; a warrant has been issued for his arrest.

Buckeye’s California column is shuffling their way to Tucson. They are now in Western Arizona. I expect, once the weather turns, they’ll push my small holding force back to Pino Altos. I can’t reinforce Tucson; it does not create enough local supply to support any more troops.

[ATTACH]33679[/ATTACH]

Costal
For some reason the militia division from NO didn’t move last turn. I must have scrambled the unit orders. Captain Bear’s advice to use Control - F4 to clear all units, except the one you have selected, really does work. This allows you to target an area without tagging anything else by mistake. I messed up somehow, but the laggards are baack on the rails to Nashville.

Production
Increased the Rail Pool
A couple of infantry and cavalry replacements
A strong TN brigade and some artillery in Memphis
Now that’s a far cry from the 2 divisions plus buckeye can churn out every turn.
Attachments
Appalachia Marked.png
Far West Marked.png
Lower East Marked.png
West Marked.png
Upper East Marked.png

Straight Arrow
General

Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:14 am

East
Here’s the plan, buckeye has a large part of his power in the valley. I’m going to hit Leesburg with 7 divisions. If I take the city, the approaches to Washington DC will be threatened by a large force. This should force buckeye to withdraw troops from the Shenandoah Valley to defend his capital. If he doesn’t, who knows?

Beauregard will rail to Manassas with 3 divisions and join up with Magruder’s 2 divisions. Together they will march north to strike Leesburg. Johnson in Harper’s Ferry will leave a token unit and strike east across the river at Leesburg. This should give me 3500 pwr to the federals 1100. Hopefully the coordination holds up and the attackers hit together, rather than dribbling in a disjointed manner.

A division will rail up to Manassas to hold the ground and Bragg’s division will march to Fredericksburg.
Longstreet will attempt hold Strasburg with his division.

A division waiting for a commander at Richmond will provide a reserve force.

The brigade at HP is going to wreck the rails. If the city falls, I don’t want the Federals to be using the tracks to transfer Hooker or McDowell. The supply depot stays. If Johnson falls back, he will need it.

Somehow, one of my 6 lbs at Norfolk disappeared, so the fort order didn’t happen. It’s weird. I can’t find the unit anywhere on the map. Fort construction is delayed until I scrounge up a cannon to replace it.

[ATTACH]33689[/ATTACH]

West
Messy, very messy. Last turn the tool tip showed I had 100% MC in Humhrey TN, so I moved the army of Tennessee into the area on green/green orders. This was supposed to break the siege without attacking Grant. I knew Grant might have assault orders, but I figured if the Federals did attack, it would be a defensive battle and the boys in gray would back pedal after a few rounds. Either way it went, I thought Fort Donelson would be relieved or the siege broken.

Well now, that's not how it went down. Buckeye went ahead and launched an assault and Johnson's army switched over to orange when they entered Humhrey and attacked; it was messy, very messy.

The reason for the screw up was me. I was reading the wrong location area for Donelson and it’s not Humhrey. It turns out the Federals had almost total Military Control of the area – not me.
In addition it looks like the reasoning behind my actions was flawed and will not work.

[color="#FFFF00"]Captain Bear commented, “I do not believe they will lift a siege, but I've never actually tried it.
At patch level 1.06RC3+, if they move in DP into the region, they will be automatically changed to OP and receive 5% MC and attempt to attack the enemy in the region. If you move them in PP into the region, they will gain no MC, but after that, because they have <5% MC, once changed to DP they will automatically be changed to OP and attack at that point.
A stack in PP fights with a penalty if a battle develops, but they will have a greater chance at retreating from the battle, after the first two battle rounds I believe." [/color]

Donelson fell to Grant with the loss of 3,500 men for 2,000 Yankees. The relief army was bludgeoned, losing almost 4,000 to 2,000 blue coats; additionally 1 NM was lost. Not good, not good at all.

Johnson is falling back to Nashville. Relief is on the way in the form of a division and a couple of horse batteries. The troops are being shipped by rail, so they should arrive in a few days.

Polk will sit tight and try to hold on to Fort Henry.

A division and the local static troops are holding Memphis, and a fort is under construction. But rest of the west is buck naked.

[ATTACH]33690[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33691[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33692[/ATTACH]

Trans Mississippi
All quite in Trans Mississippi.

High Plains
The lost boys were pushed out of their new home at Fort Ellsworth. They are drifting west across the plains to Ft Aubrey. The fort southwest of them is being torched and the cavalry unit holding it is also traveling to Aubrey. They will form up and head west to burn down more stockades.

Far West
Bad weather is slowing Shelby down, but he has enough movement to take Santé Fe.
The wagon draining supplies from local stockades is full and headed north to link up with Shelby
The force of cavalry and rangers that hit Taos and Vegas were pushed back. The raiding parties are falling back to regroup into a fist at Albuquerque. Buckeye has scattered his men is small packets all over the map to protect towns and stockades from my rangers. In spite of the bad weather, it’s time to get rolling and see how many boys in blue we can bag.

[ATTACH]33693[/ATTACH]

Costal
All quiet on the seacoast.

Production
Once again: infantry and cavalry replacements, a strong TN brigade, and some artillery units in Memphis.

I really could use more CS.
Attachments
Far West Marked.png
Battle 2.png
Battle 1.png
West Marked.png
East Marked.png

BattleVonWar
Major

Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:41 pm

Well, Arrow, I can see you are a lot like me learning the intermediate aspects of battlefield command in game. You're doing pretty good vs your first game as the CSA vs the adept Buckeye. I read through your entire posting and I admire your guts and determination.

On your tactical:

I have made many mistakes in my game. Many...though Loudon with such a presence of force? I think against an extremely weakened force I have managed to push MC% down and finally take possession of it. Though taking a highly entrenched poor terrain situation is quite futile. I rather wish the game engine pushed toward gambling. Though 60k under Lee will never win or a superior General 70% of the time(I have beta tested the fact) against a force around the same size entrenched with a structure. Add in weather and anything else ugly even superior numbers...no Enchilada and ultimately of course I won't run on.

Strategic:

HF, is hard to hold as the CSA. You seem to have got locked up there. Winchester and Loudon will do just as well as a defensive front. Since it's extremely hard to capture and hold it early with a player as mobilized as Buckeye is. Your finest hour is certainly your use of Shelby. He is like a box of razor blades and I admire the way you have sliced through your opponent. Also the way you have kept him on his back heels. Regardless of the fact he has more experience and we both know the Union has superior troops from the onset of '62...(literally)

As for the Far West, I really cannot see the devotion of men and material early being afforded. The best hope of an overall strategic operation of the CSA is a holding pattern. Getting to maybe late '62 or early '63 and maybe by then being eaten by 3 to 1 odds... If she doesn't get fancy... Getting lucky and exercising some brilliant tactical win and winning the game would only be possible with tweaked settings.

I will be interested in seeing if you do get gold territory though! This would be a very sweet deal. I think that Un~manifest Destiny should be an event costing the Union about 25 NM
For every Southern boy fourteen years old, not once but whenever he wants it, there is the instant when it's still not yet two o'clock on that July afternoon in 1863 ~~~

Straight Arrow
General

Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:30 am

Early January 1862

This report has been delayed due to a number of computer problems and scrambled game settings. I think everything has been straightened out and we are back on track.

East
So much for trying to hit one location with 3 separate forces. Not a good idea. Fancy plans look good on paper, but they are almost always a major mistake. Buckeye was ready for me, reinforced, dug in and waiting. Only Beauregard and Johnson made the hit. Magruder and his two divisions dragged their feet and never joined the party. I can’t figure out why this happened. They were the closest in space and in travel time, but they failed to complete the ordered move. As a result, the attack dribble in and resulted in major bloodshed and the North keeping Leesburg. The cost? 15,000 Southern casualties to around 14,000 Northern.

The army of the Potomac and the Army of the Shenandoah did not retreat after the battle. As I don’t have the stomach for round two, the divisions were reorganized the weakest 2 marched south with the Shenandoah Army to Richmond to rebuild and keep an eye on Fort Monroe.

The Army of the Potomac is withdrawing and will link up with Magruder and his fresh, 3 divisions at Manassas.

The dump at HP is being burned and the brigade there is going to try escaping to Morgan WV, the mountains to the west, then on to link up with Longstreet. There’s no reason for McDowell’s large force to stay in Morgan. So, I’m praying the two force pass each other in the night.

There’s not much holding Clark, VA. This Gap connects the valley with the rest of VA, so it’s pretty important. If I can scrounge up a division next turn, I’ll send it there.

Longstreet is in the lower valley and on his own. The division earmarked to support him was pulled for the west and is on its way to Nashville. Old Pete will make good bait, and I’m thinking buckeye will most likely push hard in his direction. Maybe buckeye will try another one of those encircling movements he seems fond of. If he continues to commit major forces deeper into the valley, it just might provide open an opportunity for the South to use its now unified main force to do some hard hitting.

At last, the fort at Norfolk is being built. Huger has an extra stack of four 12 pds to hammer on anything steams past him.

The huge addition to the leader pool in Richmond is being dispersed across the Confederacy. This timely injection will help provide leadership in key areas and allow independent divisions to operate without penalty.

Appalachia
Snow, lots of snow blocking rail movement from the east to west.

I’ve sent a leader over to Lewisburg to create a ½ division out of the militia and weak brigade there. The siege was broken last turn, but the blue coated cavalry are still hanging around. How do they keep alive outside in such terrible weather?

As soon as the weather lets up, I intend to replace regular garrison brigades in the eastern Tennessee mountain areas with militia units. The regulars will be ship to force concentrations in the west.

West
Polk is leaving Fort Henry with his division and railing to Nashville to join up with Johnson’s 2 ½ divisions

This will leave the Tennessee River open to penetration by the Federals. If they strike deep, it could cut off Nashville and Kentucky. But, this might also create an opportunity for the South to trap a force far from its supply base. Once the Mississippi fleet pulls together and gets into position, it may be able to slam the rear door shut on anything venturing deep down the Tennessee River.

Currently, at 800 pwr, Johnson has only has a third of Grant’s strength. This will increase as the Army of the Tennessee’s depleted ranks fill out. An additional two and ½ divisions have been sent as reinforcements. Bragg’s division and Hoke’s 1/2 division are coming from the east by rail, and if not delayed by snow, will arrive in late January. Polk’s division is coming from the west. This will give the Army of the Tennessee 5 solid divisions, and probably somewhere around 4/5 of Grant’s current combat power.

It looks like Lyon and some of the Trans Mississippi manpower is headed west. More pressure applied in this theater is the last thing I need.

Trans Mississippi
The main Federal force is still in front of Fayetteville, but Lyon has pulled back! Buckeye must be transferring his best officer and a chuck of his power to the west. Even though it is in the dead of winter, I’m going to take a stab at raiding with Stand Waite’s Cavalry division. This will leave Fayetteville protected by only 1 division and whatever else I can scrounge up. If the Federals push forward they will have a 3-1 advantage.

The ½ division squatting on my last tent city (recruiting center) in MO, New Madrid, is falling back to Memphis. They will join the holding force outside the Memphis fort. I have given up on having finding the time, CS or money necessary to drain the MO force pool. This transfer will help create the nucleus of the future Army of the Mississippi.

For fun and profit, a partisan was created between the Springfield and Rollo depots. It’s time to burn a few mountains of sowbelly and crackers.

High Plains
The lost boys are heading east with their eye on a new home.

My three cavalry units wandering the high plains are coming together. When the weather clears, they will launch an assault in the Colorado City area. This threat will hopefully inspire buckeye to continue spreading out his meager forces in an attempt to protect everything. If the blue coated horsemen chasing them keep pushing westward Shelby might scooped them up.

Far West
I’ve rolled the dice and purchased a card depot in Tucson. The idea is to create a force that will hold off the CA column a few more turns and give Shelby time to stomp around in Colorado. The current defenders are almost out of ammo and I’m gambling reinforcements will reach the scratch force before the Federals brave the winter weather, struggle through Western Arizona and attack. I hope this works; the last thing I want is give the yanks a free depot. What Tucson really needs is a leader and some artillery. But from where?

Shelby and his division are chasing north after Carson. The idea is keep moving north to threaten and hopefully take the goldfields. Carson must be running scared. I would, if I was in his shoes. Buckeye has burnt all of his southernmost structures.

I broke up the force of rangers and cavalry that gathered to support Shelby by launching secondary attacks. Half will go to Tucson and half will hold Santa Fe.

In Nevada, there’s an entrenched unit of militia. The CSA loyalty is high enough to allow copperheads creation. I’m going to drop a card on the Comstock and see what happens. Look out Mark Twain!

Costal
All quiet on the sea coast. Leaders are being sent to all the major cities to take command of the defending scratch forces. A hospital is being created at New Orleans to protect against the ravages of disease at critical moments.

Naval
The current Mississippi fleet in New Orleans is linking up with a free iron clad coming off the stocks. The iron clad in Mobile is moving to NO to join this fleet, and there is another free iron clad waiting in Memphis. Pulled together, this will produce a hard hitting river fleet of 4 iron clads plus a ½ dozen river boats.

This strong of a fleet might be able to slam the rear door shut on Grant if he ventures deep down the Tennessee. At the very least, it will help prevent the Federals from running vessels past Memphis and tearing up my river communications.

Still cranking out blockade runners at Mobile.

Production
Heavy use of new cards this turn: 4 draft and 5 requisition cards in Texan and Georgian non- industrial areas. I am trying to limit impact on future production, and as Texas is hard to hold when hit with strong naval invasions, so it’s time to milk the Lone Star State.

Issued bonds and more paper money. Even though it reduces inflation, it was not feasible to levy taxes this turn as doing so will cost 2 NM. Taxes would drop my NM from 106 to 104. I don’t want that to happen. 105 NM adds 5% to almost everything, it’s not worth going below the threshold.

Purchases were:
Infantry, artillery and cavalry replacements
4 brigs in Mobile
1 headquarters in Memphis
1 hospital in New Orleans
Attachments
Far West Marked.png
West 2 Marked.png
Transmississippi Marked.png
West Marked.png
East Marked.png

Straight Arrow
General

Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:04 am

Early January 1862

This report has been delayed due to a number of computer problems and scrambled game settings. I think everything has been straightened out and we are back on track.

East
So much for trying to hit one location with 3 separate forces. Not a good idea. Fancy plans look good on paper, but they are almost always a major mistake. Buckeye was ready for me, reinforced, dug in and waiting. Only Beauregard and Johnson made the hit. Magruder and his two divisions dragged their feet and never joined the party. I can’t figure out why this happened. They were the closest in space and in travel time, but they failed to complete the ordered move. As a result, the attack dribble in and resulted in major bloodshed and the North keeping Leesburg. The cost? 15,000 Southern casualties to around 14,000 Northern.

The army of the Potomac and the Army of the Shenandoah did not retreat after the battle. As I don’t have the stomach for round two, the divisions were reorganized the weakest 2 marched south with the Shenandoah Army to Richmond to rebuild and keep an eye on Fort Monroe.

The Army of the Potomac is withdrawing and will link up with Magruder and his fresh, 3 divisions at Manassas.

The dump at HP is being burned and the brigade there is going to try escaping to Morgan WV, the mountains to the west, then on to link up with Longstreet. There’s no reason for McDowell’s large force to stay in Morgan. So, I’m praying the two force pass each other in the night.

There’s not much holding Clark, VA. This Gap connects the valley with the rest of VA, so it’s pretty important. If I can scrounge up a division next turn, I’ll send it there.

Longstreet is in the lower valley and on his own. The division earmarked to support him was pulled for the west and is on its way to Nashville. Old Pete will make good bait, and I’m thinking buckeye will most likely push hard in his direction. Maybe buckeye will try another one of those encircling movements he seems fond of. If he continues to commit major forces deeper into the valley, it just might provide open an opportunity for the South to use its now unified main force to do some hard hitting.

At last, the fort at Norfolk is being built. Huger has an extra stack of four 12 pds to hammer on anything steams past him.

The huge addition to the leader pool in Richmond is being dispersed across the Confederacy. This timely injection will help provide leadership in key areas and allow independent divisions to operate without penalty.

[ATTACH]33802[/ATTACH]

Appalachia

I’ve sent a leader over to Lewisburg to create a ½ division out of the militia and weak brigade there. The siege was broken last turn, but the blue coated cavalry are still hanging around. How do they keep alive outside in such terrible weather?

As soon as the weather lets up, I intend to replace regular garrison brigades in the eastern Tennessee mountain areas with militia units. The regulars will be ship to force concentrations in the west.

West
Polk is leaving Fort Henry with his division and railing to Nashville to join up with Johnson’s 2 ½ divisions

This will leave the Tennessee River open to penetration by the Federals. If they strike deep, it could cut off Nashville and Kentucky. But, this might also create an opportunity for the South to trap a force far from its supply base. Once the Mississippi fleet pulls together and gets into position, it may be able to slam the rear door shut on anything venturing deep down the Tennessee River.

Currently, at 800 pwr, Johnson has only has a third of Grant’s strength. This will increase as the Army of the Tennessee’s depleted ranks fill out. An additional two and ½ divisions have been sent as reinforcements. Bragg’s division and Hoke’s 1/2 division are coming from the east by rail, and if not delayed by snow, will arrive in late January. Polk’s division is coming from the west. This will give the Army of the Tennessee 5 solid divisions, and probably somewhere around 4/5 of Grant’s current combat power.

It looks like Lyon and some of the Trans Mississippi manpower is headed west. More pressure applied in this theater is the last thing I need.

[ATTACH]33803[/ATTACH]

Trans Mississippi
The main Federal force is still in front of Fayetteville, but Lyon has pulled back! Buckeye must be transferring his best officer and a chuck of his power to the west. Even though it is in the dead of winter, I’m going to take a stab at raiding with Stand Waite’s Cavalry division. This will leave Fayetteville protected by only 1 division and whatever else I can scrounge up. If the Federals push forward they will have a 3-1 advantage.

The ½ division squatting on my last tent city (recruiting center) in MO, New Madrid, is falling back to Memphis. They will join the holding force outside the Memphis fort. I have given up on having finding the time, CS or money necessary to drain the MO force pool. This transfer will help create the nucleus of the future Army of the Mississippi.

For fun and profit, a partisan was created between the Springfield and Rollo depots. It’s time to burn a few mountains of sowbelly and crackers.

[ATTACH]33804[/ATTACH][ATTACH]33805[/ATTACH]

High Plains

My three cavalry units wandering the high plains are coming together. When the weather clears, they will launch an assault in the Colorado City area. This threat will hopefully inspire buckeye to continue spreading out his meager forces in an attempt to protect everything. If the blue coated horsemen chasing them keep pushing westward Shelby might scooped them up.

Far West
I’ve rolled the dice and purchased a card depot in Tucson. The idea is to create a force that will hold off the CA column a few more turns and give Shelby time to stomp around in Colorado. The current defenders are almost out of ammo and I’m gambling reinforcements will reach the scratch force before the Federals brave the winter weather, struggle through Western Arizona and attack. I hope this works; the last thing I want is give the yanks a free depot. What Tucson really needs is a leader and some artillery. But from where?

Shelby and his division are chasing north after Carson. The idea is keep moving north to threaten and hopefully take the goldfields. Carson must be running scared. I would, if I was in his shoes. Buckeye has burnt all of his southernmost structures.

I broke up the force of rangers and cavalry that gathered to support Shelby by launching secondary attacks. Half will go to Tucson and half will hold Santa Fe.

In Nevada, there’s an entrenched unit of militia. The CSA loyalty is high enough to allow copperheads creation. I’m going to drop a card on the Comstock and see what happens. Look out Mark Twain!

[ATTACH]33806[/ATTACH]

Costal
All quiet on the sea coast. Leaders are being sent to all the major cities to take command of the defending scratch forces. A hospital is being created at New Orleans to protect against the ravages of disease at critical moments.

Naval
The current Mississippi fleet in New Orleans is linking up with a free iron clad coming off the stocks. The iron clad in Mobile is moving to NO to join this fleet, and there is another free iron clad waiting in Memphis. Pulled together, this will produce a hard hitting river fleet of 4 iron clads plus a ½ dozen river boats.

This strong of a fleet might be able to slam the rear door shut on Grant if he ventures deep down the Tennessee. At the very least, it will help prevent the Federals from running vessels past Memphis and tearing up my river communications.

Production
Heavy use of new cards this turn: 4 draft and 5 requisition cards in Texan and Georgian non- industrial areas. I am trying to limit impact on future production, and as Texas is hard to hold when hit with strong naval invasions, so it’s time to milk the Lone Star State.

Issued bonds and more paper money. Even though it reduces inflation, it was not feasible to levy taxes this turn as doing so will cost 2 NM. Taxes would drop my NM from 106 to 104. I don’t want that to happen. 105 NM adds 5% to almost everything, it’s not worth going below the threshold.

Purchases were:
4 brigs in Mobile
Attachments
Far West Marked.png
West 2 Marked.png
West Marked.png
East Marked.png

Straight Arrow
General

Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:59 am

Early January 1862

East
So much for trying to hit one location with 3 separate forces. Not a good idea. Fancy plans sound good on paper, but are almost always a major mistake. The enemy was reinforced, dug in and waiting. Only Beauregard and Johnson hit. Magruder and his two divisions dragged their feet and never joined the party. I can’t figure out why. They were the closest in space and in travel time, but they failed to complete the ordered move. As a result, the attack dribbled in and resulted in lots of bloodshed. The North kept Leesburg. The cost? 8,000 southern casualties, to around 6,000 Northern.

The dump at HP is being burned and the brigade there is going to try escaping to Morgan WV, in the mountains to the west, then on to link up with Longstreet. There’s no reason for McDowell’s large force to stay in Morgan. So, I’m praying the two force pass each other in the night.

[ATTACH]33807[/ATTACH]

Appalachia

West

[ATTACH]33808[/ATTACH]

Trans Mississippi

[ATTACH]33809[/ATTACH][ATTACH]33810[/ATTACH]

High Plains

Far West

[ATTACH]33811[/ATTACH]

Costal

Naval

Production

Purchases were:
4 brigs in Mobile
Attachments
Far West Marked.png
West 2 Marked.png
West Marked.png
East Marked.png

havi
Colonel

Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:13 am

you better send the forest to the west help waitie, together they are deadly!

BattleVonWar
Major

Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:22 am

Seems he's got the upper hand : ( But you have Nashville...and your Northern Front isn't bust in Virginia... Time to wait for Corps

havi wrote:you better send the forest to the west help waitie, together they are deadly!
For every Southern boy fourteen years old, not once but whenever he wants it, there is the instant when it's still not yet two o'clock on that July afternoon in 1863 ~~~

pob303
Private

Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:52 pm

A great AAR Straight Arrow. I never realised the importance of the 105 NM threshold - Thank you :thumbsup:

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:30 pm

Good job on sneaking out a few Missouri brigades from New Madrid. Hopefully you can find a way to recruit some of the Kentucky pool - if it ever enters the war that is.

Straight Arrow
General

Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:57 pm

Late Jan 1862

East
Buckeye has driven me from all but the southernmost part of the Shenandoah Valley. Very nicely done, but he has committed almost 5,000 pwr to taking and holding the Shenandoah. This is nearly twice the strength I have in the entire theater. The lopsided commitment may lead to an opportunity to strike at Washington.

It looks like buckeye is trying to encircle Longstreet. Old Pete will fall back to New Market.

The weak brigade in Morgan is going to continue its long march through the union hordes. Good luck boys.

Johnson did not rail to Richmond as commanded. Richmond was crowded with activity, and I must have tagged Hoke’s force when giving orders. I need to slow done and use control - F4 more. The snafu resulted in Johnson lighting out for Nashville. Strangely enough, this left his army just south of the Shenandoah Valley. I’m going to take advantage of the mistake and move Johnson with one of his decimated divisions up to New Market where he’ll join up with Longstreet. This will keep a presence in the valley and hopefully tie down large numbers of Federal troops.

The weakest division in what was the Army of the Shenandoah has resumed riding the rails to Richmond for R & R.

My army has hit the left, struck at the center and looked hard at the right. Alexandria under Butler might be open to assault. But, there are no divisions in reserve and I don’t want to spend any more lives without sure gain. I’m going fall back from Manassas and look for a better opening or wait for Lee’s arrival.

Unfortunately, while shuffling troops I managed to lose the developed entrenchment levels at Manassas, but as I’m pulling out, it won’t make much difference.

I’ve split the Army of the Potomac, burnt the dump at Manassas and fallen back to Culpeper with Beauregard. Jackson is side stepping to the area south of Alexandria. The brigade in Clark is withdrawing to Culpeper.

[ATTACH]33828[/ATTACH]

West
Nothing has gone right in the western theater; I’m pulling out my hair.

Kentucky is still neutral. What’s with that? When it does open up, I need to somehow tap into its force pool. In past games, Nashville via Bowling Green has always allowed me to drain units from the blue grass state. While the north built up its strength in the theater, Kentucky’s lengthy neutrality denied me access to a large part of the CSA’s force pool. The lack of units from Kentucky has left the Army of Tennessee dangerously weak.

More bad travel mojo: even though they started close together, Hoke took the northern route and was snowed in. Bragg took a southern roundabout route and ended up by Charlestown, a good 2 turns from Nashville by rail. The closest division, Polk failed to move as buckeye cleverly cut off the straightest route. When giving the orders, I didn’t consider interference and just clicked rail, then destination. This turn, I’ve reorder the moves area by area. But if buckeye is true to form and attacks Nashville, they won’t arrive in time. Without their help, Johnson is facing almost 3-1 odds.

I’m pulling a division out of Memphis and railing them to Nashville. This makes a total of 3 ½ division on the road, attempting to join the Army of the Tennessee. I am afraid when they finally arrive, the stars and stripes will be floating over the city.

[ATTACH]33829[/ATTACH]

Trans Mississippi
My partisan between Jefferson City and Rollo is going to attempt destroying both level 1 depots. This will cost 2 of our 3 raid cards. The supply dump at Jefferson will be easily replaced with a flat boat, but the Rollo dump will hurt. A shortage of crackers in Springfield would come in handy right now.

Standing Waite is Headed to Mound City, then on to the shining star city of Leavenworth. This avoids the mud and the powerful forces Buckeye has lurking in the vicinity. We’ll go and see what kind of trouble can be stir up and maybe get us some of them there Sabine women.

A free brigade has popped up at Madison. Reluctantly, I’m committing them to the Trans Mississippi; they will travel by water and rail and form the nucleus of a new division at Fayetteville, MO.

[ATTACH]33830[/ATTACH]

High Plains
The lost boys found another empty stockade and tacked a Home sweet, Home sign on the barrack’s walls. I’m sure the original owner will make haste to evict them.

The cavalry force is in striking distance of Colorado City and is waiting for good weather.

Far West
Well that didn’t work out like I planned. Buckeye seems to never let grass grow under his feet; he hustled the Tucson assault through bad weather and tough terrain. I should have remembered how aggressive he is and not purchased the depot. Without even breaking into a sweat, the Federals pushed my rag tag collection of rangers, cavalry and mounted infantry out of the city.

Shelby is crossing the river and is going to give Carson a beating at Taos. His dry supply wagon has started the move south to refill. A mostly full, 2 element, pack train, is currently in Santa Fe and will follow the attack force’s tracks towards Taos. With their help, Shelby should be able to restock for the next round.

In Nevada, two weak copperhead militia units are facing an entrenched naval artillery and a militia unit. MC is 100% Federal, so my boys will have to attack. This is more force than I expected and the prospect of winning are not very good. Ah well, it was a long shot. Buckeye has carefully covered his bases by raising loyalty in the CO goldfields and Denver. I going to plunk down another goldfield demonstrator; if it loyalty shifts up to 50%, more snakes will raise their ugly heads. This threat might make buckeye shift garrison troops back. If he does, it means a weaker force facing Shelby.

I’m not sure how long I can dance around in CO. Buckeye will most likely drive his men on a death march across New Mexico. Well he took the only area worth anything in AZ. Until he gets closer to Texas, I’m not going to worry.

[ATTACH]33831[/ATTACH]

Naval
The Mississippi River fleet is pulled together and just 3 days travel below Memphis. At full strength, they can hit with over 500 pwr. They’ll dock at Memphis and see what develops.

Buckeye has so many troops in the field, I’m starting to doubt there are troops standing by to invade over water. The only shipboard force so far was a weak division outside New Orleans. I do not want to risk important ports, but it looks like, for a while, the pressure is off. I wonder if buckeye’s initial flurry of ship movement was supposed to sucker me into committing more power to the coast while he sent everything inland. If that was the case, it didn’t work. I always commit strong forces to key coastal cities. In the Civil War, the Confederacy left New Orleans buck naked. A handful of ships ran the guarding forts and conquered the place with a small force of marines. Kind of like when the French cavalry rode over the ice and captured the frozen Dutch fleet. I’d like to avoid that in this game.

Production
Light artillery, medium artillery and infantry replacements
1 cotton clad in Memphis
1 brig in Mobile
5 militia units in Memphis

A $1.50 bounty was paid for volunteers. I should have gone for $2 but my fingers just wouldn’t uncurl from the cash.
Attachments
Far West Marked.png
TransMississippi Marked.png
West Marked.png
East Marked.png

Straight Arrow
General

Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:55 am

Early Feb 1862

East
I pulled out of Manassas last turn, but left the rail and supply depot intact. A nice juicy target defended by a lone militia unit, no? Let’s see how greedy buckeye is. Jackson is moving 2 strong divisions back to Manassas on Blue/Orange orders and 2 divisions are railing in to support him. If buckeye takes the bait, my boys will get there first with 2,100 pwr. He’ll be attacking a dug in, well lead, force supported by an artillery division. My, oh my. Wouldn’t it be lovely to see a field so cover with blue clad bodies, that a southern belle could tip toe across without stepping on the ground?

The Army of the Potomac is sitting tight with 900 pwr at Culpeper. The best units are with Jackson. Detachments are fanning out to secure adjacent areas and build fall back lines.

Longstreet fell back to New Market; he was not pursued. The army of the Shenandoah did not move up to join as ordered. An epidemic hit the single division in the army’s ranks and the total strength sank down to 10 pwr! Needless to say, those boys are now on the way to Richmond for R & R. I pulled Hoke’s ½ division out of the snow bound trains in eastern Tennessee and sent him to join up with Longstreet. A few other units have been scrapped up and will be headed in Old Pete’s direction. This should give him two infantry and a weak cavalry division to work with.

I decided to send J Johnson and his staff to take command of the Army of Tennessee and replace A Johnson. AJ is a terrible commander, his normal ratings of 4-2-1 are down to a 4-1-0. And he is facing a cigar, chomping killer of exceptional skill. Which reminds me, I’d like to do a shout out to Cardinal Ape. Check his avatar; he’s kinda like a hairy, modern day Grant. Back to the plan, once in the west, the Army of the Shenandoah will be tapped for service in the Memphis or mid-Tennessee area. The moment I have somebody else, I’ll send AJ to Timbuctoo.

[ATTACH]33843[/ATTACH]

West
Massive relief - Grant did not attack Nashville and two reinforcing divisions arrived. Albert Johnson has 2419 pwr to Grant’s 2585. With luck we may hold. Detachments are fanning out to secure adjacent areas and build fall back lines.

I sent extra supply wagons and the bridging unit to Corinth last turn. I figured Nashville was going to fall and there was no need to encumber the retreat. I’ll try to quickly scrounge up some troops to cover middle Tennessee and Memphis against strong raids. Bragg is in the area, still trying to make his way to eastern Tennessee. I think we’ll divert him in this direction.

Kentucky remains neutral.

[ATTACH]33844[/ATTACH]

Trans Mississippi
Dysentery and whooping cough are thinning the CSA ranks at Fayetteville. Nothing to do but hope enough men will rise up from their sick beds and repel a Yankee attack. There is a strong brigade arriving in Fayetteville to strengthen the defenders.

My partisan managed to burn the one level dumps at Rollo and Jefferson City. Stand Waite took Leavenworth last turn and is looking to raise some more hell. Lexington has a powerful big heap of bacon and hard tack. And it looks like it’s the last supply dump feeding Buckeye’s troops. Lexington is two areas away in the mud, but with force marching, we can make it. The depot is a very oblivious target. However, I don’t think buckeye will be able to march through a sea of mud quick enough to intercept. On the other hand, if there’s a force hanging out at a river port, we’ll run into trouble.

Union Jayhawks are 2 areas away from Ft Smith, the supply dump that feeds Fayetteville. I think they want to return my calling card. A partisan killer stack of 2 cavalry and 1 horse artillery, Indians that is, are going to try catching the chicken thieves before the house burns. If it all goes up in flames, I ordered a flat boat at Ft Smith.

High Plains
The lost boys are under siege. The mounted infantry will try slipping out on Red/Green/evade orders and move northwest to Ft Ellsworth. It will be good to move. The bunks at Ft Zarah are hard board boxes filled with dirty, flea infested straw. Time to find us another home.

Rangers at Ft Audney are headed northwest to take Ft Wallace and pick up supplies for Shelby. We’ll see how that goes.

Far West

We missed the boys in blue at Taos. Shelby is continuing north and is going to hit the main Federal force in Colorado hard. For a reason I don’t understand, buckeye is digging his boys in at Ft Garland, but sent their commander, Carson, running off Northward by his lonesome self. Why leave his main army leaderless? Don’t know, but I’m going to take advantage it and go for a knock down. Odds are almost 3-1 in my favor and we have enough ammo for two engagements in the knapsacks.

A secondary force of rangers and cavalry will deal with the weak Federal mounted infantry at Taos

Buckeye continues to fill the clear western air with smoke. Taos is gone. The blue bellies managed to avoid battle and slip away. Shelby restocked to 80% GS and ammo loads, drawing from the pack train following him, but the mule panniers are now empty. It will take several turns for the supply wagon down south to refill and return. Hopefully, Shelby’s target, the stockade, Ft Garland, holds some supply. If not, there’s a captured stockade east of Colorado City and some rangers on a mission to pick up a stockade, Ft Wallace, to the north. Between these two, there should be near a turn’s worth of supplies. If Garland’s cupboards are dry, the plan is to use the empty pack train to drain ever thing usable from two stockades and transfer the goods to Shelby.

Sibley has packed up the tent he designed and is headed for West Texas. I need another leader in El Pasco to pull together a scratch division. This force will work at slowing down the California boys’ advance. The iron is hot in CO and Shelby is in pursuit. He can’t be spared yet to defend west Texas.

[ATTACH]33845[/ATTACH]

Naval
The single ships outside all my major coastal cities are back, poking and prodding at my defensives.

I played a sub card on two units in the Hampton Road sea area. My fingers are crossed for the 3 NM jump.

Three river boat units have split off from the Old Man River fleet and are chasing a single Federal vessel that ran past Memphis. The blue bellies are just north of Baton Rouge. This detachment will attempt to catch the yanks, then move on to the Big Easy. Hollins, who is moving up from NO by land, will link up with the steamers.

Because I have not built an ocean going transport yet, supply in the blockade boxes is running short and I send several runners to port to restock. That’s a waste of WS and money.

[ATTACH]33846[/ATTACH]

Production
The results of the recruiting drive are being put to work. We built:
Infantry and cavalry replacements
8 militia in Alabama to beef up a weak division stationed at Mobile
3 strong infantry brigades at Memphis
3 cavalry units at Memphis

Sold one of the 2 remaining cotton bales I was hanging on to for $15.

Taxes were levied this turn as my NM currently stands at 107. Squeezing money out of the good citizens will drop me to 105, but late Feb 62 has 2 events that together add a small cushion of 2 NM.
Attachments
Navy Marked.png
Far West Marked.png
West Marked.png
East Marked.png

Straight Arrow
General

Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:51 am

Late Feb 1862

East
Buckeye did not take the bait at Manassas. In spite of a number of opportunities, the eastern forces will set this turn out. The weather is terrible and corps are coming.

Down on the peninsula, I’m building up the division keeping an eye on Fort Monroe. There is a second division is rebuilding in Richmond and a few big brigades almost ready to move. Jackson and another 2 star commander are in position, ready to create wings for the Army of the Potomac.

Still pulling together odds and ends in the lower valley under Longstreet.

[ATTACH]33878[/ATTACH]

West
Kentucky is still neutral.

AJ is sitting tight at Nashville until JJ arrives to take command. We are waiting to form corps next turn. Two star commanders are in place for this in both Memphis and Nashville.

A cavalry division is trying to chase down some partisans going after the Pulaski depot.

Lyon drove down and took the cross roads at Madison, TN. I am forming a defensive line just south of him along the Hatchie River. Militia is fanning out to start digging, and Forney’s1 and ½ divisions are moving from Memphis to block a main rail line just opposite of Lyon. It looks like buckeye is trying a deep, raiding drive to see what he can pick up. If he keeps coming straight on, we’ll bloody his nose and knock him back.

The Mississippi fleet in moving north of Memphis to provide a buffer if Grant abandons Eastern Tennessee and comes waltzing down Old Man River.

[ATTACH]33879[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33880[/ATTACH]

Trans Mississippi
Van Dorn let the Federals walk into Fayetteville without firing a shot. He disregarded his orange/red orders, hold at all costs, and retreated. As usual, he was chasing after some skirt. It’s only a question of who is going to shoot Van Dorn first, a government court martial or some ugly husband. I’m ordering Van Dorn to head towards Fort Smith with one of the two wagon trains. The rest of the boys at Fayetteville will launch a counter attack before the blue bellies dig in.

I did not catch the Jayhawks next to Ft Smith. But the supply dump that feeds Fayetteville is still standing and the partisan killer stack is still hunting. It’s a race to see what happens first, a sky lighting bonfire or Ozark chicken thieves brought to justice.

Stand Waite failed his force march to Lexington. However, buckeye did not reinforce the target and the depot is still standing. The CSA raiders will keep pushing forward through the sea of mud to tear up the Union supply network and grab some much needed grub and ammo.

[ATTACH]33881[/ATTACH]

High Plains
The lost boys failed to slip out and after a skirmish, retreated back to their dirty bunks. They are trying to slip out and west again on Green/Green/evade orders.

The rangers failed to take Ft Wallace and the supplies there. I’m sending the two units at Ft Audney to renew the attack.

Far West
Shelby is standing toe to toe with Carson. The supply bars on both forces are almost empty but with 2-1 in our favor, we’ll hammer some more, take the stockade, then rest. If buckeye burns our prize, like he has done to almost all the structure we have yanked out of his grasp, I’ll build a stockade. Shelby or the empty pack train under escort, will swing out to the west end of the high plains and try to grab up whatever is in the stockades.

Shelby’s is getting weaker by the day and the goldfields are getting father and father out of reach. I am going to use his division to threaten and pin the Federal forces. Copperheads from South Park will pop up next turn and make a run for Denver and riches of Golden City’s placer fields. With luck, possible garrisons for those cities will remained pinned to the south. Once Shelby gains some cohesion and supply, we move north.

Costal
Buckeye’s field armies in the east are shrinking, he’s reduced exposed positions to half of their previous strength, and he’s no longer pushing forward. Something is up.
True the weather is terrible, it’s possible we have both come to our senses and are gone into winter quarters, but mostly likely, he’s building a heavy, strike force just out of sight.

This far into the game, buckeye is probably not just going to do a little fort busting. More likely it’s a major naval invasion. But to where? Texas, New Orleans, Mobile, Savanna, Charlestown or Willingham are all good bets. My money is on the Deep South. Striking at New Orleans or Mobile would maximize pressure in the western theater and strain my resources to the breaking point.

Production
Replacements
Some artillery in Mobile
A division minus the artillery in North Carolina
Attachments
Trans Mississippi Marked.png
West Marked 2.png
West 1.png
East.png

Straight Arrow
General

Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:31 am

Late and Early March 62

Computer problems this week - Early March 62 was lost in the shuffle, so we’ll have to make with do with a condensed report.

Five small battles in late March, all CSA defeats, fairly even loses except for Fayetteville, nothing earth shaking or ground changing.

East
Jackson was set up for action with a corps containing the CSA’s best, but he had a brown envelope for Early March 62; As a result, we didn’t move.

For Late March, I shifted the Army of the Potomac to Manassas, moved a weak corps from there containing a beat up division to Culpeper. A strong, reserve division from Richmond is railing to Culpeper to help hold the ground.

Jackson with his fast mover trait is taking his corps, with the bulk of the east’s fighting power, and hitting the Federal formation that dared to launch an attack by its lonesome self just south of Alexandria.

Longstreet is taking everything but a place holder and hitting the weaker of the two Yankee formations to the north. After thrusting aside the division in front of him, he will try to move on to Winchester.

[ATTACH]33894[/ATTACH]

West
Kentucky is still neutral.

Forester made his appearance in Kentucky. However, he’s stuck. Even thought there’s no red or brown bar, I cannot move him. One of the CSA’s most important assets, sitting in plain sight, unusable and untouchable until Kentucky enters the war; this is not cool.

Lyon is in an area next to Nashville, looking forlorn, battered, and weakly entrenched. The bait is juicy, but Grant and his army could reinforce Lyon in just 2 days of rail travel. This is one dance, I’ll sit out.

The main army is just going to sit tight in Nashville.

The Army of the Tennessee in Mississippi is gathering at Madison, TN. Bragg is already on site with 345 pwr on Blue/Orange; AJ and the army is coming in on Blue/Orange with 427 pwr; Forney is railing in on Blue/Orange with 446 pwr. Together, they’ll try driving the Federal division out of Madison and pushing north to cut supply routes and roll back the blue bellies. The Mississippi River fleet is steaming to block the Cumberland River. If Kentucky doesn’t come in and open up a new open land supply route, Grant could find army without crackers and ammo.

A cavalry division is still chasing a partisan unit down by Pulaski.

[ATTACH]33893[/ATTACH]

Appalachia
Building a weak division at Knoxville to face cavalry raids and partisans.

Trans Mississippi
The attempt to retake Fayetteville failed again. The cost was 2,000 CSA to 600 USA causalities. The division there is going to hold tight on the defensive for another turn. This will pin his Federal opponents in place and give Stand Waite time to breath and move.

Stand Waite took Lexington. Buckeye sent the depot up in flames and we captured an empty town with little food and almost no ammo. The cavalry division headed to back down to just below Ft Scott. There they meet up with a supply wagon escorted from Fayetteville by Van Dorn and a rag tag collection of units.

We killed the Jay hawks by Ft Smith, but they managed to destroy the dump. I used the flat boat in reserve to create a new depot, but all those lovely casks of preserved meat and bags of corn meal have gone up in smoke.

High Plains
Sneaking out has not worked. I was going to attack, but a 2nd cavalry unit has joined the foes outside our walls. We’ll try sneaking again.

We took Ft Wallace; everyone is going to sit tight until we can link up with Shelby.

Far West
Shelby is running low on steam. Our last battle took the form of two battered boxers, exchanging blows, than staggering back to lean on the ropes. Hard riding Shelby has pushed men and beasts to the limit. The infantry are shambling sleepwalkers and the cavalry are sleeping on their horses. (Something I experienced many years ago on a day/night/day crossing of a very nasty desert, in high summer, on horseback.)

We won the battle and took the area. But once more buckeye burnt the roof over our heads. We must have shelter from harsh weather so a card was used to build a stockade. Unfortunately, the structure does not come pre-stocked and a number of units have run out of food. The plan was to have Shelby or the empty pack train under escort, swing out to the western most, High Plain stockades and pick up what they could. But, the weather and time won’t allow this. Everyone will yank their belt a notch tighter and the hungriest units will head south to meet the oncoming supply wagon.

The copperheads are now 23 days march from Denver and Golden City. No garrison is in sight yet, but the fog of war covers both areas. It’s a slim chance buckeye left these two valuable prizes with out a garrison, but it sure would be nice to stroll unopposed into both towns.

Sibley is at Pinos Altos in New Mexico. He’ll build a division as soon as possible.

Costal
Waiting for the blow - Hooker has disappeared and there are quite a few blue dots under Willington. More brown dots show troops gathering in New York and New England. A storm is coming.

I currently have a strong division inside of New Orleans and another militia division, training under Hardee. In addition there is a militia division in Mobile.

From the game’s start, I have always kept a strong division of regulars inside NO, but where I really screwed up is outside a number of the major ports. While combing areas for units, I lost a number of fortifications. I find it very confusing to have entrenchments both outside and inside the city and constantly mistake one for the other. To cover the hole I tore in my britches, I’ve ordered an entrenchment card at NO. Luckily, a couple of turns ago, I purchased a redoubt card for Mobile. My fingers are crossed hoping these fortifications are in time. But the real important point is only troops outside a structure will contest landings. Thus, I must fight on the beaches; I do not have enough manpower to launch counter attacks in the Deep South

Naval
Five new brigs left Mobile for the Gulf blockade box.

I taking two brigs that came to resupply at Mobile and see if I can't chase away the USN picket in my harbor.

Taliaferro and the Mississippi River fleet, 641 power, are steaming up the Miss, then down the Cumberland River. We’re attempting to slam the rear door shut on Grant. The main Federal River fleet is next to Nashville, so this should get interesting.

Production
Replacements
Militia division in the Big Easy.
Militia at Charlestown.
Militia at Savannah
Artillery in NO and Mobile
Attachments
March East Marked.png
March West Marked.png

BattleVonWar
Major

Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:46 am

Yes, fortifications are tough. The best thing you can do is set a Militia placeholder and right click to lock him to keep your level of fortification up and without stress to you. I do not like having a landing and then surrendering for a fortification if I can help it.

You're holding up under immense Union pressure! The last two games I have been outfoxed in morale by this opponent by late '62 if you can beat that you will have beat my strategies. You have to know when it's time to go, and when it's time to fight for something. Also what's valuable...

FightingBuckeye
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:11 am

Doh, I didn't realize Mizzou's line units could build in New Madrid. I'd been curious as to why you had a force there for a long time. I was under the impression that you needed control of at least one strategic city in order to build units from any state?

Straight Arrow
General

Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:48 pm

Sorry folks but due to communication breakdown and technical problems this action report is screeching to an abrupt halt.

From the beginning we have been struggling with a number computer issues. And, as a result, the games in my saved game file are in an incredible mess. The same numbering system was restarted several times. Many game files copies existed in duplicate. ie. multiple copies of (3), (4), ect… These files all look the same, except on close examination.

Added to this problem is the fact that my Early March 62 turn completely disappeared from my saved game folder and the moves I plotted and ordered in Late March 62 kept vanishing every time I reopened the game. This happened four or five times and resulted in Late March 62 being redone multiple times from scratch.

Now for what rocked me, when Buckeye placed Lyon, with a battered division, right next to my main western army in Humphrey, TN. In my first opening of the Late March turn, I played around with hitting Lyon. But, moments after contemplating this idea, I realized Grant had a direct rail line that was only 2 days travel from the location. Obviously it smelt like a trap. I very carefully avoided any offense maneuver towards Humphrey. The action report I had posted recorded this when I stated that, “I was not going to attack Lyon and would set this dance out”.

But that was not what happened in the game turn that was run. Instead the movement to Humphrey took place, and the battle that I been so careful to avoid, happened.
I think this is what went down. Somehow in the load, reloading and saving, when I was fumbling around trying to find the right orders, I found the earliest set of lost orders and forwarded them on to buckeye.

Game wise, the 5 NM lost from the battle in Humphrey was offset by Jackson smashing and destroying a division in the east, so the turn was a wash NM wise.

I was willing to carry on with the game, however breakdowns in communications discussing the Humphrey situation set me to thinking and I decided it would be best to lay down the game and call it a draw.

Buckeye probably figured this out, but Jackson’s corps is now in place to force march across the Potomac and hit DC hard. I don’t know if this would be enough to take the Federal capital; it was in my last game when Cardinal Ape taught me this particular trick the hard way.

Straight Arrow
General

Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:58 pm

Observations on the specie, Aesculus Glabra, commonly known as the Ohio buckeye.

For the use of fightingbuckeye’s future opponents.
Based on my observations as the CSA player in a CW 2 pbem game, version 1.06.

Straight Arrow,
6/29/15.

In my opinion:

1 Buckeye is very aggressive; but he carefully examines enemy troop dispositions and will not launch blind attacks.

2 Makes very heavy use of scouting in the form of: naval pickets, cavalry probes, map information, movement prediction, and analysis of individual stacks to determine at risk areas, location of individual generals, and status of force concentrations.

3 Loves to encircle enemy formations. If you fail to use flank guards in adjacent areas, his forces will flow around you in an attempt to isolate before launching an assault.

4 Very flexible; willing to abruptly change long term planning for battle field opportunities.

5 In the face of over powering force, can conduct an excellent, organized scorched earth retreat.

6 Skilled at taking key ground and forcing his opponent to do the attacking.

7 Willing to takes risks by attacking with lousy commanders that may turn inactive in exposed positions.

8 When attempting to hold excessive territory, tends to spread his strength and can be vulnerable to a strong, well lead, concentrated force.

9 Can be over confident; when opportunity appears to beckon, drove forces dangerously deep into enemy territory.

10 Kept his eye on the prize and is not easily distracted by secondary objectives or threats.

11 A skilled opponent that needs to be challenged by some of the forum’s excellent veterans.

Return to “CW2 AARs”