tripax
AGEod Veteran

Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:59 pm

Are you more likely to have artillery captured in a loss/retreat if it is loose in the stack rather than combined in a division? I think so, and for that reason I always put my artillery in a division, either in empty slots in an infantry division or once I have enough artillery in a stack, in its own artillery division.

On the other hand, perhaps captured artillery lessens hits taken in a retreat somehow - does anybody know?
Across the South, we have a deep appreciation of history -- we haven’t always had a deep appreciation of each other’s history. - Reverend Clementa Pinckney

FightingBuckeye
Lieutenant Colonel

Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:32 pm

You know, I was just thinking about this earlier when I penned my earlier response. I don't know how the engine handles battery captures when they're in a division vs loose and if there's any real difference. Purely anecdotal evidence from just my games, the only times I've seen artillery batteries captured have been either when their parent division was destroyed or when they were loose to begin with. I can't say that a battery within a division will never be captured, but that has been my personal experience in the 4 complete & 3 ongoing CW2 games. But 7 not quite full games is not a large sample size, so take it for what it is worth.

I would be interested to hear if others have ever had a battery captured that was in a division formation where the division (mostly) lived on after the battle.

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:46 pm

In order for artillery to be captured it must be the only unit left in its stack, not counting other artillery, supply wagons, or other support units. Artillery inside a division is immune to capture. Even if you catch a small artillery division out on its lonesome and you kill the division commander the artillery will get destroyed, not captured.

FightingBuckeye
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:51 am

Well, I'm the bearer of some rather sad news. The game against Straight Arrow has come to a sudden and inconclusive end. I think Arrow was dispirited by the accidental attack into Humphries as much as or more than the results of the battle and the subsequent change in the strategic situation in Tennessee. Apparently, he has a plethora of files to upload from and sent valid orders, but not his correct ones in as he'd changed his mind about Humphries upon realizing Grant could rail there in 2 days. I asked Arrow his opinion about a possible fix when I learned about his leanings to discontinue the game. I hadn't raised yet raised the possibility of redoing the turn with canceled attacks on both Humphries and Falmouth (to keep losses and NM swing even) and decided not to with how conclusively he shot down the possibility of doing a 'fix.' That was a couple days ago and I've been awaiting a response (hence earlier post about a delay). He emailed me not too long ago; I can't continue a game without an opponent and have accepted his offer of a draw.

I'm a little upset at how fast this unraveled and how there's not a conclusive end to the game and the AAR. We've done a full 24 turns, one year exactly. The first year saw some action, but the first year is usually more about setting the stage unless the South can take DC. It's like watching a new movie and then having to stop halfway through just as you're getting into it. Things were definitely heating up and getting interesting in Colorado, Tennessee, Mizzou, Virginia, and Savannah. I might consider doing another AAR in another couple of weeks but for now I'm going to concentrate on my two other games as well as dipping my toe into EAW. If anyone's interested in being my opponent (either side) for another AAR in a couple weeks just go ahead and PM me. Anyway, it was fun while it lasted and I'm glad you've gotten some enjoyment on my journey.

BattleVonWar
Major

Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:26 am

To sum it up:

The game went well for the South in the West. It did not go well for the South in the Heart(Tennessee) and the East. Unfortunately the game does not represent The South and North's Western Front. I think I like Shelby Foote's reference to it being more similar to that. There is not enough dollar/VP/NM value in the Western Territories.

The South should be able to make it to late 1862 as this gives the North a chance to bring up the Armies and then have the famous battles. Straight Arrow did not win enough major victories to last into this time frame. Virginia is so vital to the war effort. You must win here as the South..stripping out the Western regions and even giving territory. If you are not pushing the North out of Harpers Ferry/Loudon and threatening Alexandria you're not going to have a very fun time in late 1862. Unless you are playing a war of maneuver.

People think this is an easy task along with holding on to Nashville/Missouri and Memphis..It's very difficult.. South is a tough job against a great opponent!

I felt in our last game we'd go 40 turns but you were far more flexible a player than me... You have to very flexible in this game, history will not do. Learning that fast!

All thing's said SA did very very well with the experience he has!
For every Southern boy fourteen years old, not once but whenever he wants it, there is the instant when it's still not yet two o'clock on that July afternoon in 1863 ~~~

FightingBuckeye
Lieutenant Colonel

Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:54 am

The game was by no means lost to the South quite yet. Ok, so they just lost Savannah and were about to lose Nashville. But Arrow pretty much had me stopped from further shenanigans in the East when the game ended. He'd inflicted a large loss in Falmouth and was threatening DC from that position with Jackson. With him there, I'd be forced to leave at least a small corps in DC or attack him, either of which would serve his purposes. Like you said, the West and Far West aren't crucial to the South's chances of victory. Yeah, those theaters help. But what would the North have won even if I'd been able to parlay the Humphreys battle into taking Memphis, Corinth, and Nashville. No industry was laid down in Tennessee, so the net effect would have been marginal economically speaking. Yes losing a complete division is hard for the rebels to make good on, but it's hardly a death blow. As long as an opponent is trading space for time in Tennessee, it'll be a long time before the Union can take anything truly meaning out in that neck of the woods.

Savannah's economic impact is the biggest here as that city is one of the top 5 CSA cities in economic output. But the rebels have too many coastal cities to defend them all properly from a Union opponent committed to landing 2+ divisions down. So that loss is hardly surprising and probably not too unexpected.

Our game did last 39 rounds, so close enough! Unless you meant another 40 rounds, in which case I agree. I really thought it would go into '64 and that thought played a major role in my audacious little campaign. I figured either it'd work and go a long way towards victory or it wouldn't and I'd have a year to replace that lost corps.

Return to “CW2 AARs”