Shockley
Civilian

Blockading New Orleans

Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:23 pm

Hello.

I'm trying to blockade New Orleans. I checked the port at Iberville, LA. It says I need 8 naval combat elements in the Lower Mississippi River and 8 in Lake Pontchartrain. But when I try to put naval elements in Lake Pontchartrain, it says my naval units can't get in there.

So how do you blockade New Orleans?

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re: Blockading New Orleans

Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:51 am

IIRC, you have to hold the forts at the mouth of the Mississippi.
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

Shockley
Civilian

Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:45 am

Gray Fox wrote:IIRC, you have to hold the forts at the mouth of the Mississippi.

Thanks.

I'll try that.

blitz41
Conscript

Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:14 pm

Just to tag onto this thread, what general/generals do you like to use for amphibious operations? I know that early on most of the Union generals are only 3 strategic value, and I find they constantly fail their activation rolls. Which either means the operation takes an excessive amount of turns, or worse that the enemy has plenty of time to move in reinforcements.

I believe there is some sort of trick where using the distant unload uses the admiral's values instead of the general's, but I'm not sure if this is true or how it works.

Shockley
Civilian

Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:42 am

Gray Fox wrote:IIRC, you have to hold the forts at the mouth of the Mississippi.

I think you just need to hold one of them. I have captured solely Fort St Philip and New Orleans shows being under blockade. The Union blockade percentage jumped way up too.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:47 pm

Thanks Shockley! We had a thread about this very topic many years ago, but I can't seem to find it. What you posted sounds correct.

Blitz41, I'm an "on to Richmond" guy, so I don't capture a lot of forts. I have Grant take the coastal fort just southeast of Richmond. This allows him to be promoted and seals off the coastal route from CSA ironclads trying to relieve Richmond.
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

Return to “Civil War II”