BentonGrey
Private

CSA 3 Star Potential

Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:36 am

Howdy folks, I've been playing this game off and on for years, and it is a favorite of mine. I recently picked it back up and have been getting back into it and relearning everything (always a big job on a game this complex!), and I find myself with a question.

Who are the best contenders for promotion to 3 stars among the confederates? I know that not everyone can be promoted, and I've read several messages about who shouldn't, but I can't seem to find much about who would be the good options, beyond the guys you get automatically. Can anyone offer a bit of advice?

Durk

Re: CSA 3 Star Potential

Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:05 am

Somewhere, but I cannot find it now, is a graphic of all leaders and their values when promoted. Maybe somebody else has a handle on this. It might even be an appendix to one version of the rules.
History is really as good a guide as any. Are the generals' names one you know? Were they corps or army leaders? There really are only a very few stinkers who lose ability with promotion.

BentonGrey
Private

Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:39 am

Thanks Durk! I'm beginning to get a hang of things, but I can't help but feeling I'm overlooking some options. In the mid-game, you can field 6 armies, but I'm hard pressed to find 4 workable generals, aside from Jackson and Longstreet. I would definitely be interested in that chart if anyone knows where it is.

Durk

Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:25 pm

The two Johnstons and Beauregard really are decent.
While some 4-1-1, this is not really bad if leading good corps commanders.

Also, consider this, six armies may not be optimal. It may be that four is the optimal number.

BentonGrey
Private

Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:23 pm

Thanks Durk. Those are who I have employed at the moment, plus Lee. I'd like at least one more army to help hold the line in between the others out west, but yeah, I realize that just because you CAN have 6 armies doesn't mean you should.

Durk

Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:28 pm

Kind of a question, not a comment, could you not hold the line better with a great corps commander in command range of one of your army generals better than with an independent army?

BentonGrey
Private

Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:12 am

Well, my campaign is going super well, and I've just taken Indianapolis, so my front is actually rather huge, ha. That's the issue. The line I'm holding is really spread out, so my corps have a tendency to get out of range of my armies if I'm just using corps.

Durk

Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:22 am

Ah, well now I understand. You are just going to have to bite the bullet and use a less than stellar army commander. What a huge success you have had.

blitz41
Conscript

Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:33 pm

The CSA can a bunch of 4-x-x generals that will do pretty well in a pinch (or at least better than the Union). They are two of the easiest to promote, but i hate doing that for Jackson and particularly Longstreet (his stats take a real hit) because they make such amazing corp commanders.

If you use him constantly on successful raids to generate that seniority, I believe you can get Forrest to 3 star which gives the CSA 2 godly generals.

Return to “Civil War II”