Kriegsspieler

Does Habeas Corpus EVER Work?

Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:31 pm

I tried posting this first over in the Matrix forum, but putting it up here is likely to get a better response, I think.

Anyway, I've been playing CWII pretty intensively the past month, and I find much to like in it. One small annoyance though, is the seemingly utter futility of playing Habeas Corpus and Martial Law cards to reduce rebel support. I cannot recall seeing a single case where HC was reported as having any outcome other than "unsuccessful," despite the supposedly 50% chance of success, whereas ML sometimes seems to help, but I am not sure.

DrPostman

Re: Does Habeas Corpus EVER Work?

Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:03 pm

It's worked for me. Not all the time, but I've seen it work.

Kriegsspieler

Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:19 pm

DrPostman wrote:It's worked for me. Not all the time, but I've seen it work.

What was the sign of it working? Increased Union Loyalty? Or a message in the log saying that it worked? I ask because it occurs to me that perhaps a sign of it working is the absence of a message that it was unsuccessful in a particular region.
Does that make sense? This could be one of those "no news is good news" situations.

Durk

Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:55 pm

Both Habeas Corpus and Martial Law do work, while Martial Law specifically informs the player a military unit must be present, I always add one for Habeas Corpus as it seems to help. Do remember a 50% probability is just that. It does not increase the more you use Habeas Corpus, 50-50 each time. I do not know about other players, but some days, my 'lucky days' 50% feels like 100%. My unlucky days, 50% feels like only a fool would bet on those odds.

The game does use a very sophisticated probability generator which means (in my observation only) the first probability roll of the turn is not truly a random probability, but all other rolls are truly random once the rolls have been seeded. You can't do much about that, but you could add a second Martial Law event as a tad bit of insurance.

If I remember correctly, the ledger does report both events.

Kriegsspieler

Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:05 am

Well, all I can say is that I have never seen it succeed, even in provinces where troops are stationed. And I'm not talking from only a few examples, believe me. I examine every message every turn, and nothing. But clearly I'm overlooking something.

grimjaw
General

Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:17 am

I have seen it succeed and fail, so I know it works. For a card like that it might have been better for it to almost always succeed but with a variable effectiveness rate.

pgr
General of the Army

Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:12 pm

Yep it works. ( And the log will tell you if it works or fails.) Bear in mind that if it works, it takes 3 turns for full effect.

Return to “Civil War II”