matogl0396
Civilian

AACW vs CW2, gameplay and scenarios differences?

Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:57 am

Hi all,

Huge Civil War buff and a pretty new CW2 player here, finally starting to find my footing after ~ 120 hrs in-game so far. LOVING this game and so appreciative of Ageod creating this love letter to what I consider the most momentous and fascinating period in all US history.

My specific question to the forum experts is this: What are the major differences between the 1st and 2nd iterations of Ageod's Civil War games? Is there any reason to play the original if I already own CW2? I see it's only $20, not bad at all so I'm thinking about picking it up. Graphically it looks charming, similar to BOA2 which I also own and enjoy, but how is the gameplay, and does the original have any unique/additional scenarios to play through??

--------------------

More details below. Specifically, the things I don't care much for in CW2 are very few, but include:

* Very poor turn processing performance (much worse than BOA2)
* Naval/shipping sub-game (prefer the semi-automated options as I really don't care about this aspect of gameplay)
* MOST ESPECIALLY the lack of scenarios. BOA2 has a tooonn of scenarios to choose from, and frankly I enjoy playing small/mid-sized scenarios as much or more than the grand campaigns. I find them a little less intimidating and therefore somewhat easier to get into.

In CW2, however, there are just a few introductory battle scenarios, then campaigns are all basically broken up by 1 or 2 theaters, and annual start times. What about the Tullahoma Campaign (Chickamauga), Maryland Campaign, or most especially Jackson's Valley Campaign? I would love to play scenarios like this which, again, play out on a slightly smaller scale. I guess some of this is tough due to the 2-week turns (e.g. Maryland Campaign would be all of 2 turns). With that in mind, bonus question: Are all Ageod games 2 week turns??

So... does AACW have any of that? Does it have more scenario options than CW2? What are the other major differences between the 2 titles?

Thanks very much in advance for your help!

Nikel

Re: AACW vs CW2, gameplay and scenarios differences?

Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:53 pm

In its time AACW had a demo, it is still available here if you want to try

https://www.moddb.com/games/american-ci ... oads/demo2

AACW is of course faster than CW2, the latter is a bigger game.

Just comparing the number of regions, 1500 in AACW for 3400 in CW2.

The scenario list in the full patched game

matogl0396
Civilian

Re: AACW vs CW2, gameplay and scenarios differences?

Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:47 am

Nikel wrote:In its time AACW had a demo, it is still available here if you want to try

https://www.moddb.com/games/american-ci ... oads/demo2

AACW is of course faster than CW2, the latter is a bigger game.

Just comparing the number of regions, 1500 in AACW for 3400 in CW2.

The scenario list in the full patched game

Perfect, thanks very much for your help.

Scenario list appears almost identical. :)

Thanks again.

Return to “Civil War II”