chocko101
Conscript

Movement out of region when enemy is present

Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:49 pm

I was playing a PBEM with a friend and he quit in frustration because his Army was unable to leave a region where my forces were present.

A CSA Army under BGT and other really good leaders with a force of 15000 and very little cavalry located in Fairfax tried to advance north into Maryland under union MC and again northwest to Leesburg nominally under CSA MC but was crushed each time by my force. My force was led by McDowell with below average leaders about 36000 troops and double the cavalry in a defenseive posture.

We re ran the turn a couple of times and he varied the postures offence and defense. Each time he was engaged by my force and defeated.

I think it is because I had a much larger force and more cavalry but I’m not sure. Can anybody explain the factors the effect a forces ability to leave a region in the presence of another enemy force?

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re: Movement out of region when enemy is present

Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:54 pm

What patch are you using? In the original game, forces had to fight their way out of a situation like you describe. This was patched to where the trapped force would escape. This patch caused some CSA armies to move toward Canada in an endless running battle in single player. If he still wants to play, I advise breaking his unit down into small stealthy groups of 1-4 elements and slipping across the Potomac in Green/Green mode.
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

Captain_Orso

Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:12 pm

Chocko's opponent is trying to move out of the enemy's ZOC (Zone of Control). This has nothing to do with retreat, and ZOC has not changed in many years.

The formula is: (Pv / Ev) - (2 * Ev) = MC-Min

Pv = Patrol Value of the defending forces in the region. In this case all of Chocko's forces in the region. These vary depending on cohesion level of each element.
Ev = Evasion Value of the stack attempting to exit the region.
MC-Min = the minimum MC (Military Control) the moving stack's faction must have in the target region in order to move into that region. MC-Min is capped at MC of 90%.

I believe the tool-tip of the region will display these values for you. At any rate, when Chocko's opponent selects the stack he want to move, surrounding regions blocked by ZOC will be overlaid in red.

Basically, you cannot sneak or slide by a strong defending force.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:36 am

I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:46 am

Gray Fox wrote:De ja vu...

viewtopic.php?f=331&t=39370

Ah, those heated five-pagers...

That brings back memories. :papy:

Return to “Civil War II”