lightbrave
Captain

Confederate Inflation

Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:13 pm

Its early April 1864 and due to the "event" my inflation shot way up. Does the spike in inflation go away after a period of time or is it here for the duration of the war. Should I try to conserve spending until it ends?

Straight Arrow
General

Re: Confederate Inflation

Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:40 pm

I'd say keep spending. Even in the best of times, there's never enough cash to fund the South's war effort.

Playing the CSA is like trying to hold back a flooding river by piling sandbags around the house.

If you don't have bags for the next inch of flood water ....

lightbrave
Captain

Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:37 am

thanks for the advice Arrow. I probably cant afford to stop spending anyways. However, I didn't get an answer to my question about the duration of the event. I was at about 13% I think. Will it go back to 13% after the event is done?

Straight Arrow
General

Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:34 am

lightbrave wrote:However, I didn't get an answer to my question about the duration of the event. I was at about 13% I think. Will it go back to 13% after the event is done?

I don't believe the inflation will reverse through the event ending. Your graybacks will remain locked into the higher rate.

I think only bond purchases and the random sunrise event provide a way of tossing water on higher interest rates.

Each round the USA has a chance of x% to lose 1 inflation point; if you have 24% inflation you have a 24% chance to drop to 23%. The CSA chance to reduce inflation is half of this stated value.

DrPostman

Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:16 am

I've always felt like that event should not be triggered if the war is going well. Say moral
is at or near 100.

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:37 am

DrPostman wrote:I've always felt like that event should not be triggered if the war is going well. Say moral
is at or near 100.

If you are cunning or lucky enough to carry the CSA into 64 you shouldn't complain about the inconvenience :P

Captain_Orso

Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:34 am

Edit:

Do you still have the text of the event, which announced the jump in inflation?

Straight Arrow
General

Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:23 pm

Just as a side note,

Ageod's CW2 massively under represents the historical CSA's rate of inflation.

By the war's end, prices in the South had risen by over 9,000 percent.

lightbrave
Captain

Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:27 am

Here is the event. Hopefully you can see it.

https://imgur.com/7Fo3xhq

You should be able to click on the picture to enlarge it

DrPostman

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:35 pm

Citizen X wrote:
DrPostman wrote:I've always felt like that event should not be triggered if the war is going well. Say moral
is at or near 100.

If you are cunning or lucky enough to carry the CSA into 64 you shouldn't complain about the inconvenience :P

Fair point!

Captain_Orso

Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:55 am

*ugh* This event could have been so much better. It fires on the 1st of April (telling?) 1864, and raises inflation by 15% and gives the player $75k.

Pop-up text:

Code: Select all

The Confederate Currency Reform Act reduced the money supply in the Eastern Confederacy. The Confederate government passed this Reform Act of 1864 in an effort to stem the rampant inflation ravaging the South. The Act effectively removed one-third of all currency in the South from circulation by mandating that all large denomination bills be converted to 4 percent Treasury bonds before April 1, 1864 and by imposing a 3-to-2 redemption ratio for small bills after the deadline. As people tried to get rid of their large notes in the months prior to the deadline, inflation rose to 23 percent a month. In the summer of 1864, however, price levels in the Confederacy finally stabilized. In the face of continuing pressure to meet war obligations, Congress eventually authorized the printing of an additional 275 million, mostly reversing the effects of the reform.

So, two things:
1. in the game Inflation is a function of printing money. In the real world, it was more complicated. So that act actually worked, while allowed to.
2. The event jumbles everything into one, and isn't historical IMHO. The government did collect cash, but apparently burned it (they wanted it out of circulation). If they has simply stored it away, instead of printing new money again, they could have just spent it. So I assume the collected money was destroyed.

This could have been done as a kind of extra Selling Bonds option (but with no income), with a bonus, that as long as he doesn't print money, Inflation has a chance of dropping an extra percentage point each turn. If he prints money again, the affects are ended, and inflation carries on as before.

Return to “Civil War II”