Temgesic
Lieutenant

What strategy would you propose? Late ´62

Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:32 pm

I have just gotten Lee unlocked. Maximum armies 6.
Lots of leaders but few brigades to man them. I have manned the coast with some divisions, and entrenched New Orleans.

I have pounded the Union pretty hard, taking Louisville KY and St. Louis, destroying a few armies in the process.

Now i feel i am in a road crossing. Should i replace Johnston, P.T.G or any other one with Lee ASAP and assemble my forces and try to invade through Maryland, bypassing Gettysburg and threaten NY,Baltimore, Washington and so on.

It feels like it´s now the war really begins.
Sherman and Grant is on the move in the East also, though i whopped Sherman with a few leaderless brigades :D

Can submit screens if someones interested.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re: What strategy would you propose? Late ´62

Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:56 pm

If D.C. is still the Union capital, then assemble your best force under Lee and take it. This crushes Union morale and should lead to ultimate victory.

Screenshots are always interesting if you can get that to work.

download/file.php?id=26969
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

Temgesic
Lieutenant

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:02 pm

Gray Fox wrote:If D.C. is still the Union capital, then assemble your best force under Lee and take it. This crushes Union morale and should lead to ultimate victory.

Screenshots are always interesting if you can get that to work.

download/file.php?id=26969

That my friend was a quick end of the civil war haha :)

Im focusing Lee and his corps straight for DC while i have an Army in Alexandria just to keep them in check.

Lee propably has 50-70k under his command spread out with very good leaders.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:07 pm

Good luck my friend!

That pic was one of my first games from several years ago. Thanks to advice from the forum, I'm a lot better now.
:)

Temgesic
Lieutenant

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:24 pm

https://imgur.com/hLkMflH

Here is on image, maybe to small?

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:42 pm

You might assemble the forces available in Leesburg and cross the Potomac into Montgomery, MD. The Union stacks don't seem to have a good commander among them. If they MTSG piecemeal, you might beat the whole lot and then march on D.C. Very interesting.

Temgesic
Lieutenant

Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:57 pm

Gray Fox wrote:You might assemble the forces available in Leesburg and cross the Potomac into Montgomery, MD. The Union stacks don't seem to have a good commander among them. If they MTSG piecemeal, you might beat the whole lot and then march on D.C. Very interesting.

I have over 10K, 2K but only 19 artillery under Edward. Johnson one of Lee´s Corps.
Guess i could merge him with Lee then just smash through New Jersy,Washington state
P.T.G will hold creating a diversion. Lee´s Corps has over 14K and he is accompanied by Longstreet and Jackson :)

http://sv.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=1o3n1j&s=9

One thing i have always wonder about!

PROMOTE LONGTSTREET TO FULL GENERAL? OR NO
PROMOTE JACKSON TO FULL GENERAL? OR NO
FORGOT ABOUT JEB STUART? He can go 3-star can´t he?

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:47 pm

I actually don't get to the point where I can promote them
;)

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:20 pm

I would not promote them, they have better stats as 2 stars and should be Corp commanders under Lee anyway.

Just be patient, at some point you will be able to force your way into DC. Athena often makes critical mistakes and sends troops away from DC inthese situations if you have some threat to the East like Harper's Ferry or the objectives in nearby Pennsylvania.

The key is overwhelming force when you first enter the DC region. Win that battle, win the game. Once you kick them out of the region, hold the siege till you get a breach, assault, probably fail, recover, assault again. Repeat until victory. Use Red/Blue or Red/Orange orders so that you do not overcommit to an unsuccessful assault and lose NM. (You may lose a little at first.) If you can keep DC completely cut off from supplies (blockade the river harbor) they cannot use replacement chits to replace destroyed elements.

Sometimes you can force your way across directly from Alexandria, you would want pontoons, marines, etc. to assist.

Alternately you can cross the river on either side of DC and go in by land. I have more luck with the southern approach since it is harder for the Union to counterattack while you assemble.

Either way, before you make your initial move into DC build a stockade and possibly a depot in the region you are attacking from, and leave a unit to maintain entrenchments. This ensures that if you are defeated and retreat you will go to a region that offers you protection and safe supply lines while you reinforce for another attempt.

Temgesic
Lieutenant

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:52 pm

ArmChairGeneral wrote:I would not promote them, they have better stats as 2 stars and should be Corp commanders under Lee anyway.

Just be patient, at some point you will be able to force your way into DC. Athena often makes critical mistakes and sends troops away from DC inthese situations if you have some threat to the East like Harper's Ferry or the objectives in nearby Pennsylvania.

The key is overwhelming force when you first enter the DC region. Win that battle, win the game. Once you kick them out of the region, hold the siege till you get a breach, assault, probably fail, recover, assault again. Repeat until victory. Use Red/Blue or Red/Orange orders so that you do not overcommit to an unsuccessful assault and lose NM. (You may lose a little at first.) If you can keep DC completely cut off from supplies (blockade the river harbor) they cannot use replacement chits to replace destroyed elements.

Sometimes you can force your way across directly from Alexandria, you would want pontoons, marines, etc. to assist.

Alternately you can cross the river on either side of DC and go in by land. I have more luck with the southern approach since it is harder for the Union to counterattack while you assemble.

Either way, before you make your initial move into DC build a stockade and possibly a depot in the region you are attacking from, and leave a unit to maintain entrenchments. This ensures that if you are defeated and retreat you will go to a region that offers you protection and safe supply lines while you reinforce for another attempt.

Fun talking different strategies :) I have nearly forced my way in to DC now. I will keep a good Corps commander behind so im not being cutoff from supplies. It´s always thtat the Union is making a way for me to march straight to DC :)

Altough i have two doomstacks to destroy on the way, the first one commanded by Butler so that shouldnt be a problem.
North of me i just saw Halleck with a doomstack. Think i need to act fast :)

https://imgur.com/a/Z1vDal0

Temgesic
Lieutenant

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:53 pm

Gray Fox wrote:I actually don't get to the point where I can promote them
;)

They need to be in battle all the time, small to large. Then you will get to promote them :)

BattleVonWar
Major

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:37 pm

Taking D.C. in '62 for the Confederates is predictable. Works well on AI or weak players. You have to keep up your Recon as the North and anticipate the move. The South requires a lot of recruitment in KY/Missouri/Tennessee and runs out of cash almost more quickly than recruits.

If the Union recruits and digs in well where it should it's not likely going to work at all. The South is going to lose, slowly if she plays her cards right. It's about losing slowly and in an entertaining fashion. Had a game run into late '63(about the point where the game begins to loses it's interest as the North is just way too strong at this point..the Southern Brigade Composition is not good enough to build good infantry divisions and she lacks trainers so in '63 she does not have the Divisions the Union has..nor the Artillery)

was entertaining though ... It would be fun if the losses would equal a loss for the North Politically. I had a guy hit me 5-6 Battles losing Gettysburg Level Men every time as the North.(His NM was getting very low) Eventually it was like hacking away at a thin branch. I kept giving land and men and he kept getting stronger and stronger. Maybe could of held 'em till the beginning of 1864 ...

A HouseRule for the victory by a certain point maybe nice or a gentleman's agreement. Victory/Stalemate/Loss

Return to “Civil War II”