Would you buy a Gold version of Civil War II?

Yes
79%
No
21%
No clue
No votes

Total votes: 19
BigDuke66
General

Interested in a Civil War II Gold version?

Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:44 am

Some other AGEOD games have seen a Gold version that usually polished an already good game, would anyone buy a Gold version of CW2?
Obviously such a version would have to do more than just polish CW2.
"Spread word to every slave, that even the mighty republic bleeds when struck!"
Join the Napoleonic Wargame Club
Join the American Civil War Game Club
Join the The Blitz Wargaming Club

Blood and Thunder Brigade
Brigadier General

Re: Interested in a Civil War II Gold version?

Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:41 am

Any idea what that "polish" might potentially involve?

pgr
General of the Army

Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:06 pm

Well polish is a bit relative. Everyone has their own private tweaks they would make to the engine. I would vote for a DLC of a few more campaigns...and perhaps something we aren't thinking of. It's a big beautiful map...how about a Red Cloud's war campaign way out west? Or a Mexican-American civil war prologue campaign?

DrPostman

Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:55 am

I'm poor as hell but I'd come up with the money for a gold edition. If a few tweaks
could be included that would fix a few problems. I hope it happens, especially if
a CW3 is a long way off.
:coeurs:

Captain_Orso

Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:58 pm

All Indians are Indians; they are one faction in the game. Unless each tribe gets it's own faction, it's not possible to do Indian Wars reasonably.

If some of the tweaks are put in which I've been clamoring, I'd love to have a Civil War II Gold :dada:

Brigadier General

Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:55 pm

Perhaps a tweak consensus is in order? ;)

Pocus

Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:36 am

The motivated people can band together and propose a 'community edition patch', because I believe you can do all what you mention by tweaking data.

As for fixing bugs in the code, unless a third party game is initiated with the old engine, I don't see that happen... I'm now fully committed since almost 2 years on the new engine (some news in September!)

DrPostman

Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:52 am

Pocus wrote: I'm now fully committed since almost 2 years on the new engine (some news in September!)

Looking forward to that! :pompom: :winner: :pompom:

Captain_Orso

Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:57 pm

Many of the things, for which players have been requesting cannot be fixed in the database alone:

- Broken Subvert Indians RGD. It is required to assess if enemy Indians are present in target region (prevent playing RGD in target region if enemy present). Indian Village presence requirement should be removed.

- Neutral Indian presence in a region should not prevent attacking and/or capturing an enemy city/structure (Stockade).

- If you want to be able to create an Indian Wars scenario, diplomacy (as in WON) is required, especially to allow alliances between Tribes. Settler Unis required.

- Theater Commanders and MTSG between Armies through Theater Commanders, as was historical.

- Passes/Gaps between regions separated by mountain ranges (Appalachians - Cumberland Gap, many passes/gaps in Virginia and western Pennsylvania). Possibly simply applying a major disadvantage to attacking across ranges, instead of needing to add pass/gap regions.

- 6lb guns and cavalry being principally embedded in brigades (could be partially fixed through database change, but only really fixed by being able to remove batteries and cavalry from brigades in the field, the same as divisions may be broken down).

- Unit list sorted by Leader's seniority.

- Seasonal blocking if point in rivers (rapids in the Red and Cumberland Rivers).

- Canals: Albemarle & Chesapeake Canal (between Albemarle Sound Norfolk) and Delaware & Chesapeake Canal (Could be done by adding links, and overlay graphics depicting the Canals, but that is not just a database change).

- Patriot Ability does not work (some reports that it works backwards).

- Traffic Rule based on Wagon/Artillery traffic to 9/10th, as was historical.

Some of the things which I know could be fixed in the database:

- Getting a number of Southern Ironclad is dependent on the South taking Norfolk. Only the CS Virginia should depend on that. The rest should always appear.

- Fort Clark (I believe it is this harbor) can only be entered from Albemarle Sound. Although this is technically correct, there is only a small channel leading through Hatteras Inlet to the harbor, so oceanic ships could reach the harbor, but because of the shallow nature of the sound, could not actually enter the sound. Therefore the harbor--for game purposes should be accessible from the ocean side as well. Currently no ocean ships my enter the harbor, and those that spawn there can never leave.

- More 'special' units availability. Should be practically no limit on Engineers, HQ Support, Signal Co., Hospital, Pontooner/Pioneers, and Sharpshooters. If you can afford to build them, you should be able to build them. Requires only adding names and build-pool numbers.

Brigadier General

Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:53 am

Captain_Orso wrote: More 'special' units availability. Should be practically no limit on Engineers, HQ Support, Signal Co., Hospital, Pontooner/Pioneers, and Sharpshooters. If you can afford to build them, you should be able to build them. Requires only adding names and build-pool numbers.

This would be an excellent addition. Aside from that, there seems to be quite a number of (Confederate) artillery batteries, cavalry regiments, etc, that aren't included. I'd like to see that changed.

- 5 day turns and not the 7 day turns idea I often see floated about. This would keep everything within a nice, tidy 30 day per month framework.

- The option to change my offensive or defensive stance immediately after a brawl, potentially allowing the player to properly exploit successful battles. I think this could be a true game changer.

- I've said it before & I'll say it again, I want to be able to promote any general I want. I think that with the less senior generals that if they gain, let's say 8+ seniority points then they should be promotable without upsetting the more senior officers too greatly.

- Any future version should feature the very fine portrait mod of @tribeticus. This mod is just too good not to be included.

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:12 am

One golden rule of thumb this game brillantly follows:

If a system needs to be balanced, there need to be restrictions.

I believe it should stay that way. Lifting restrictions is never an addition, but a substraction wich normally favours the stronger side unproportionally.

The seniority system e.g. is one of the best systems in AGEOD games. It might need a bit tinkering though. Why can't units be sorted by seniority, if it is such a key feature? Winning streaks should result in higher gains every subsequent turn a general gains seniority (crowds flock around winners). Once a year at least a decision should be possible to boost at least a brigadier that just has won. That way the player has more influence without discarding questions of balance alltogether.

What I would like to see first are the fixing of the aforementioned flaws like indian RDGs and others that Orso has summed up.

Maybe some events can be added that refer to the state of the Foreign Intervention status. Maybe some Confederate 6lb can be upgraded, when FI hits 25 or so.

Brigadier General

Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:53 pm

Is any of this ever likely to happen?

Return to “Civil War II”