Goodmongo
Corporal

Battle Planner Tutorial or Documentation

Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:20 pm

I have not used the battle planner. The games manual doesn't really get into much detail about it. Is there a post/thread file that explains all the various plans and what the various formations mean? I see what the AI is proposing but wonder why that is a good option against what the other side has.

Durk

Re: Battle Planner Tutorial or Documentation

Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:36 am

I think of this as a plan with potential for good or not. Kind of like First Manassas when both sides attacked the Right Flank. It is a rock, paper, scissors kind of deal, you need to be lucky as much as you need to be wise.

Captain_Orso

Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:27 pm

Yeah, mostly. The plans are also not massive influences. The devs didn't want to add something that would cause huge changes in battles, but they do help if they are successful.

Goodmongo
Corporal

Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:22 pm

It would still be nice to read what plans are supposed to be better against other plans. It's like playing rock, paper scissors without knowing which beats which. When should you do a withdrawal vs. a mass attack and should you go left heavy or equal etc.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:31 pm

When the Battle Planner screen pops up, you get a general list of what you suspect the AI may do. I just click through each of my options. A plan with no added color outline is neutral. A plan with a red outline may put your forces at the mercy of an enemy plan. A green outline gives you the advantage. After checking them all, I choose the one with the best advantage. However, the colored choices only grant an advantage to one possible plan of the three you suspect, so I don't pick a green plan if it might give me a disadvantage to the other two AI choices.
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

Goodmongo
Corporal

Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:53 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to pay attention to the colors and basically pick a deployment and battle plan that isn't red or maybe red for one of the three enemy options.

DrPostman

Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:41 pm

I have fun playing with the various options. We have very little effect on the outcome of
a battle other than how we compose our forces, so I find it entertaining. I'd love for a CW3
to have an option to micromanage a battle closer, but that would take a LOT of coding work.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:44 pm

You're welcome, as always Goodmongo!

You can DL the CW2 DB from here:

viewtopic.php?f=340&t=35005

The files may be of interest to you. One deals with the Battle Plans, but it is rather opaque. It seems to reveal that the chosen BP may succeed or be countered, as well as just completely failing.
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

Return to “Civil War II”