lightbrave
Captain

Medical Co.

Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:33 pm

Hey guys. Been away for a little while because my opponent had to do some other stuff for a while but now we are back at it. Iv been meaning to reply to a lot of posts that iv started. Quick question though.

The Medical Co.

I know it recovers cohesion.

Does it actually help you in a battle?

If it does, then how so?

Also, if it doesn't help in a single day battle, does it help in a battle that lasts multiple days?

I'm having to relearn a lot

Captain_Orso

Re: Medical Co.

Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:08 pm

I'm not sure what you are trying to get at. It sounds like you're trying to find a reason to put an Hospital Co. into a stack only after battle.

The Hospital Co. ability raises cohesion recover every day of a turn. Cohesion change is checked every day of a turn. If a stack is marching, it is losing some points of cohesion, but it is also recovering some points of cohesion, generally just not as many as it is losing. With a Hospital Co. recovery is increase, so your net loss, if you are marching into a region to do battle, will be less and your stack will be in better condition when the battle starts.

Also, someone noted recently that an Hospital Co. increases all element's Max-Cohesion by 5 points, which is also an advantage.

lightbrave
Captain

Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:03 am

The reason I ask is because as CSA I'm very limited on cash and I still have quite a few corps that do not have a headquarter stack or medical&signal stack in them. I can afford either a medical co. or a signal co. every so often. (I'm our of headquarter stacks atm) I'm in May of 1863 and I'm being pressed all over Tennessee and Virginia.

I guess to be more specific. I know it is ideal to have either a headquarter stack or the medical and signal stack together in a corps. So If I have a stack that I think is about to get attacked (full cohesion at the moment) and it ends up being a 1 day battle, will my army perform better with a signal corps in it or a medical co? Because I can only afford 1 at the moment.

Or do yall think i should focus on building more troops before either of those?

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:50 pm

IIRC, a Corps gets 18 Command Points. If the Corps has 5 Divisions for a total of 20 CPs needed, then a Signal Company's 2 CPs would help. Otherwise, I believe you get a 10% loss to combat power for not enough CPs. You might reshuffle your Corps so that each only has 4 Divisions or put the Signal Company in the 5 Division Corps. Some Generals give more CPs and may solve this problem outright. If you can tweak your Corps, then a Signal Company may not be necessary. This applies to Army stacks too. Then you could concentrate on Hospital units. The HQ unit performs as a Signal Company and a Hospital. It also trains the units in its stack if it is not moving. As the CSA, you may choose to use the HQ training ability for stacks of volunteers that remain stationary. So, as many Hospitals as you can get, Signal Companies where the CPs are needed and HQs for training. Good luck!
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

lightbrave
Captain

Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:37 am

So did a little testing of my own.

I have a corps sitting at Fredericksburg - Commanded by Longstreet with 3 division, 1 signal co. and 1 medical co.
I also have a supply wagon.
The power number of this corps is 2414
If i drag out only the medical co. the power number is 2410 minus 4
If i drag out only the signal co. the power number is 2410 minus 4
If i drag out both the power number is 2405 minus 9

So it obviously gives some benefit that is equal between the 2. 4.5 more power each i suppose.

Also its interesting to point out that if i take one division out of the corps and then repeat what i just did then this is what i find.

The power number of this corps is 1619
If i drag out only the medical co. the power number is 1614 minus 5
If i drag out only the signal co. the power number is 1614 minus 5
If i drag out both the power number is 1610 minus 9

OK ............... although this seems like a small number, every little bit helps.
What i want to know is..................... is there any benefit for them in an actual battle?
For example.................... having a Supply Wagon gives you "prowess" If i remember its like 10 percent or something.

Does having a medical co or signal co give any benefits (during the actual battle). Does it give anything at all? Please assume i have the required command points without the presence of the signal co.

Thanks guys!!!

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:42 pm

I believe both are support units, so they might take part in combat in an extraordinarily dire circumstance. Obviously, they have power numbers, but are really expensive units to hope to use as combat elements. Using a Signal Company where you don't need its CPs seems like a wasteful luxury.

Whenever an element in a stack moves on the map, fires in combat or receives fire, it loses cohesion. At some point, if the cohesion is too low in battle, the element withdraws or routs. The Hospital gives elements in its stack a cohesion boost and aids them in recovering cohesion after moving or battle. Everyone is a soldier, but medics and signal types can perform a much more useful task if you let them. I don't advise pounding nails with a screw driver.

So when properly used, the Signal Company grants a stack enough CPs to avoid a loss in power when too many Divisions and loose units are otherwise present. The Hospital boosts cohesion before battle and after. The Supply Wagon unit grants a 10% bonus to combat power if supplied.
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

Straight Arrow
General

Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:58 am

After losing my pants to disease events followed by a major Federal attack from forces that had been lurking in the neighborhood, I try hard to have a hospital unit in independent stacks defending major targets in the Deep South.

This helps limit massive cohesion loss and creates a quicker recovery; I can testify that a hospital unit has saved my bacon in New Orleans several times over the last 2 years.

Return to “Civil War II”