alphington
Conscript

Battles history saved anywhere?

Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:51 am

A noob question for sure but short of keeping my own paper and pen (or screenshot) record of battles in a game as they occur, is there any archived list hidden somewhere in the savegame that can be accessed? I would like to have a record of battles it would be good to look back on during the game as a reminder of what has gone before. Thanks.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re: Battles history saved anywhere?

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:07 am

Each turn with combat, a !BattleLog file is stored temporarily. Mine end up at This PC/Documents/My Games/Civil War II/CW2/Logs, so you may have to do a search to find yours. However, if more than one battle takes place in a turn, then the file is overwritten and you only get one !BattleLog. You can copy and paste the log to a "War history" directory. Just rename each file as Gettysburg, etc. Good luck!
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

alphington
Conscript

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:10 am

Many thanks Gray Fox, that's good news and there's no way I would have figured all that out on my own!

BigDuke66
General

Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:07 pm

What about bombardments?
I had a rather strange occurrence where Washington bombarded a Rebel army, my guess because it used river movement.
But when I look into the battle log there is no trace of this.
"Spread word to every slave, that even the mighty republic bleeds when struck!"
Join the Napoleonic Wargame Club
Join the American Civil War Game Club
Join the The Blitz Wargaming Club

Captain_Orso

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:08 pm

Bombardment does not use the battle engine, which writes the battle reports. Bombardments are 1-round actions with not much action. The reports in the mail-box are all that you will get.

Unfortunately, a bug has found its way into bombardment. Lost ships/boats are not being reported; only the number of hits :fleb:

We used to get a report of every ship/boat sunk by bombardment. Well actually, if you go back far enough, you would only have named ships/boats reported. That is, if they took their names from the models files, and didn't get some genetically generated name, which happens when the list of element names runs out.

For this reason, way-back-when I spent many hours compiling a list of riverboat names from every possible source on the internet, which were incorporated into the game.

Unfortunately now, patch level 1.06, the report of which ships/boats are sunk by bombardment is not being generated :crying:

BigDuke66
General

Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:34 pm

Too bad.
So from experience, what can I make out of X hits on a land stack? I don't have a clue if that cause a lot or only a few casualties or maybe it just lowered the readiness.
"Spread word to every slave, that even the mighty republic bleeds when struck!"
Join the Napoleonic Wargame Club
Join the American Civil War Game Club
Join the The Blitz Wargaming Club

Captain_Orso

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:50 pm

Bombarding a land stack from ships will generally only hit artillery, and the first-best battery will be targeted first. Each hit will destroy 1 cannon. There is a small chance that some hits might bleed over to infantry or other elements, but only a very few. I've never heard how the mechanics work on that, but I've seen fort garrisons take a couple of hits while testing.

Return to “Civil War II”