1stvermont
Major

HQ Support

Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:00 pm

are HQ support units needed in every stack such as corps or army only?

Captain_Orso

Re: HQ Support

Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:31 pm

What do you mean by "needed"?

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:56 pm

The HQ acts as a Signal, Medical Service and Training Master combined. So, if the stack is going to be moving a lot, then most of the training won't get done. If the extra Command Points won't add another Division, then they go to waste. Thus, you basically end up with a Medical Service element that can do more for you than you are using. I always have at least one HQ static somewhere to train up a big stack of units, because the eventual experience stars are worth the effort. That's my humble opinion.
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

Straight Arrow
General

Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:37 pm

Gray Fox wrote:The HQ acts as a Signal, Medical Service and Training Master combined. So, if the stack is going to be moving a lot, then most of the training won't get done. If the extra Command Points won't add another Division, then they go to waste. Thus, you basically end up with a Medical Service element that can do more for you than you are using. I always have at least one HQ static somewhere to train up a big stack of units, because the eventual experience stars are worth the effort. That's my humble opinion.

Wow, somehow it never sank into my brain that HQs could train militia. When playing as the South and waiting for Taylor, I always felt somewhat screwed watching McClellan and Co. turn hordes of militia in regulars.

This knowledge is going to help shrink the large pool of near combat useless militia the Rebels start with. It will also change how I raise troops; the militia to regular path cuts $/WS expenditures and helps reduce the problems of working with all those organic 6 pd guns the South is burdened with.

Thanks Grey Fox.

This game is a real onion; without the forum, I'd still be stumbling around in the dark.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:26 am

The militia aren't trained up to line units, just militia with a star (or two if you keep them static). So the McClellan crew still do a better job.
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

Captain_Orso

Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:21 am

The 'Training Master' ability gives 2 XP to every element in the stack per turn the stack is stationary.

The 'Training Officer' ability allows the Leader with the ability --only if the leader is in command of the stack-- to upgrade up to 2 elements per turn from Militia or Conscript to Line Infantry, but also Early War Cavalry to Late War Cavalry.

With both abilities, the unit with in the ability affects only elements in the stack it is in. The tool-tips of the abilities explain this.

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:33 am

Once an element has its first star it rolls to upgrade each turn (assuming it has an available upgrade path). The percentage is low, but eventually they do upgrade. The sooner you can get them a star the sooner they start rolling.

Training Master is extremely useful for the CSA in moving conscripts to regulars. Until they upgrade, the stars will give them useful stat buffs. TM is also useful for quickly training up cavalry. Cav get major soft-stat bonuses (hide, evade, etc.) from their stars.

Straight Arrow
General

Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:58 am

Captain_Orso wrote:The 'Training Master' ability gives 2 XP to every element in the stack per turn the stack is stationary.

The 'Training Officer' ability allows the Leader with the ability --only if the leader is in command of the stack-- to upgrade up to 2 elements per turn from Militia or Conscript to Line Infantry, but also Early War Cavalry to Late War Cavalry.

With both abilities, the unit with in the ability affects only elements in the stack it is in. The tool-tips of the abilities explain this.

Ah, how easy it is to forget.

GENTMJ
Civilian

Re: HQ Support - To End all wars

Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:33 pm

Dear HQ Support

Apologies if this is the wrong post site for my query but I cannot locate any other option

My query relates to "To end all wars"

I am enjoying this recently purchased game and on turn 31 I received a critical error

I am now stuck unable to play further and need help

Regards

Michael J Gent

Durk

Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:14 pm

Hi GENTMJ - And welcome to a quiet forum. By not being able to play further I assume when you load the game you get an error.
Two common things cause this problem, not running the game with administrative rights. and/or playing multiple turns without exiting briefly.
It is usually a memory issue. In options you can allocate more memory to the game.
One thing to try to get back into your game is to go back a turn. Do this in the load game menu.

Hopefully one of these ideas will get you back and rolling.

Xeja1
Corporal

Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:18 am

They are not required, but provide helpful bonuses as stated in the tooltips on the unit's card. Generally, these bonuses are most important in your largest and more important stacks.

Return to “Civil War II”