fitzitz
Civilian

How do I edit generals' skills and traits?

Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:44 pm

Hi there, I looked but it seems a lot of the modding guides are no longer available. Could anyone tell me how I would go about changing the skills and traits for different commanders and potentially adding my own? Thank you!

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re: How do I edit generals' skills and traits?

Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:04 pm

I'm not a modder, but perhaps someone else can help you if this is incorrect. You may already know that you can DL the game Dbase here:

viewtopic.php?f=340&t=35005

The CW2_DB_Models_v9s.xls file contains the General's list starting on line 243. Starting with Column CA, special abilities are listed for each General. All of the abilities in the game are there, but you would have to hunt for each one from a General that has it. So if you want someone to have the Fast Mover trait like Jackson has, then I suppose you would add $abiFast_Move in one of these ability columns for your chosen General.

I'm not sure how to add your own Generals, as you would need a graphic icon for each one. You might have to do something with the Unit file for this. Hope this is of help.

P.S. You would of course have to make these changes to the actual game files for them to take effect. I believe that the Unit file also has the General's skill data (Strat/Off/Def) that you could alter.
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

fitzitz
Civilian

Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:46 am

Okay I've edited those files, but I can't figure out how to move them to the game itself, how would I do this?

Captain_Orso

Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:22 pm

Just how many leaders are you intending on modding?

fitzitz
Civilian

Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:13 pm

I gave the confederate leaders improved stats and some elites instead of regular infantry in some of their forces so they would be a bigger challenge. Also, how would I go about creating new units? Like the elite brigades that spawn in, how would I make more of them and allow them to spawn?

Captain_Orso

Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:06 am

I was just putting a short tutorial together and discovered a problem with the datebase files, which is too complex to describe here.

When I've found some clarity, I'll put a short tutorial together.

fitzitz
Civilian

Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:45 pm

Okay cool, I'd love to see your tutorial once it's done!

czert2
Brigadier General

Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:40 am

fitzitz wrote:Okay I've edited those files, but I can't figure out how to move them to the game itself, how would I do this?

well, is is very simple, just in models folder (where you edited generls stats) delete file named models (biggest file).
after you delete it, start game, it will take longer time due to generating new models file, and after this is done, just load game you want and enjoy your improved generals. (if they are not improved, something was wrong).

Return to “Civil War II”