aariediger
Sergeant

question on MTSGs during assaults

Tue May 16, 2017 12:11 am

Alright, quick question I couldn't find on the forums. So, say Grant is besieging a confederate corps under Pemberton in Vicksburg, while Joe Johnston and some other corps are in an adjacent region, say across big black river in between Vicksburg and Jackson. If Grant assaults Vicksburg, can Johnston's guys march to the sound of guns to help defend? My guess is no, as I think a city/fort is like a "sub-region" inside of the actual region, so if Pemberton was to sally forth, Johnston could help out, but if Grant attacks he cannot. I think. Been a long time so I'm going off of memory here, wanted to hear from some folks in the know

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Re: question on MTSGs during assaults

Tue May 16, 2017 2:28 am

Just now I put a Union Corps inside a stockade and assaulted it with a Confederate Army. The respective Union Army and two other of its Corps did MTSG to aid the Union Corps inside the Stockade.
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

DrPostman

Tue May 16, 2017 5:00 am

But he's talking about a major river here, the Mississippi.

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue May 16, 2017 6:54 am

aariediger wrote:Alright, quick question I couldn't find on the forums. So, say Grant is besieging a confederate corps under Pemberton in Vicksburg, while Joe Johnston and some other corps are in an adjacent region, say across big black river in between Vicksburg and Jackson. If Grant assaults Vicksburg, can Johnston's guys march to the sound of guns to help defend? My guess is no, as I think a city/fort is like a "sub-region" inside of the actual region, so if Pemberton was to sally forth, Johnston could help out, but if Grant attacks he cannot. I think. Been a long time so I'm going off of memory here, wanted to hear from some folks in the know

In theory yes. Attacking a fort is no different to a field battle for MTSG.

The constraint is that the major river takes time to cross - and the more marching time the lower the chance for MTSG to actually work.

Having said that. I'd be tempted to make sure I move naval assets into the most direct crossing before the attack - just to be sure

Captain_Orso

Tue May 16, 2017 11:30 am

Correct, the river alone does not prevent MTSG. It only makes it a tad more difficult.

Also, as has been stated, if the besieging side has 4+ gunboats in each river region directly between the besieged city, and any Corps with might wish to MTSG, the Corps will not be able to MTSG. A single friendly fighting ship/boat in the river region negates this, but the time to enter the battle region will still include the time to cross the river.

aariediger
Sergeant

Wed May 17, 2017 4:46 am

Actually in my example Big Black River is a minor non-navigable river I think, but that's besides the point. Main thing is if Grant assaults, johnston can mtsg and stop him dead in his tracks, in theory. So if you don't want face 'em both at the same time, either gotta chase off Johston first, or just wait out the siege until Pemberton surrenders. Duly noted, and thank you everyone for the help

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Wed May 17, 2017 8:15 am

Hey aariediger,

Off topic, but it sounds like you are playing the 1863 scenario unless you are in a PbEM that has been going for a very long time. I love that scenario since I never get to do the whole Vicksburg/Deep South thing in the Grand Campaigns since I have usually already won by then or else the theater just isn't relevant. 1863 is a boatload of fun, although as the CSA it is a little TOO winnable since the Union AI tends to break their Virginia forces against Lee and Jackson along the Rapidan/Rappahanock during the first few turns.

aariediger
Sergeant

PBEM

Thu May 18, 2017 5:23 am

Actually it is a pbem game. It's late October '62 and I managed to get Grant and a pair divisions into Vicksburg/Jackson pretty well unopposed while my opponent is holed up in Corinth/Nashville. I control the Mississippi from Cairo to Baton Rouge, but not New Orleans.

However, my example was just a spin off on the historical Vicksburg set up so that it was easier to explain. The actual problem is I have Lyon besieging a reb corps inside of Richmond while Lee and Longstreet are sitting nearby. I don't want any tips on how to proceed because I think asking on the forum for help would be cheating, which is why I described a hypothetical instead. I just need to know how the game mechanics work so I know what to do. But I could update this post with a mini AAR after how this particular campaign turns out!

Return to “Civil War II”