principes romanes
Sergeant

Beauregard: Risen from the Dead to Lead the South

Sat May 06, 2017 9:03 pm

I had an interesting experience recently in a game. Beauregard was killed in the very first attack on Fort Sumter. He reappeared in Mananas to lead the Army of the Potomac as normal. Seeing an enemy risen from the dead is a good reason for the Northern soldiers to turn and run!
Currently writing:
The Coming Fury - an excessively detailed AAR on Union strategy

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Re: Beauregard: Risen from the Dead to Lead the South

Sun May 07, 2017 12:00 am

Huh. :bonk:

The event that creates the Army of the Potomac doesn't check if Beauregard is dead. Temporary immortality, indeed.

Captain_Orso

Sun May 07, 2017 4:36 am

No more need be said :siffle:

loki100
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun May 07, 2017 10:56 am

there is a few of these knocking around in other games too. I remember a Pride of Nations game with 3 Garibaldis running around - the one that goes to Sicily to rebel (in the early patches he never moved so never completed his task), the one that pops up in Piedmont in the early 1870s (by event) and the one that helps out the the French in the Franco-Prussian war.

One problem is that 'or' and branching 'and' commands are a nightmare to write in the current AGE event syntax. So its hard to write tests for unlikely outliers - like Beauregard dieing very early. If I recall some games protect key individuals if they are used again later by making them immortal (can be wounded but not killed) for either the entire game or for a fixed period. This also protects individuals who are so important to their respective side that their ahistorical demise would break the game (Frederick in RoP is one of these).

PhilThib

Mon May 08, 2017 8:59 am

Agreed...a lot of those checks can and should be done, but we unfortunately sometimes do not envision all possibilities.
One solution I always use (e.g. in PBEM games) is to run a script that kills the duplicates or triplicates...

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Mon May 08, 2017 11:36 pm

If Beauregard exists he gets put out of the game correctly. Allthough, in altered-stats-mode he gets different stats.

Return to “Civil War II”