major snafu
Corporal

New Player with some questions on Tutorial 1 - RESOVED

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:25 pm

Okay - I figured it out. But mostly by trial and error as to how to make it work. So it I did something sub-optimally, please let me know.

So to move McCooks, I clicked on his tab, dragged him to McNairy and then selected the riveine special movement and this worked.

For Wallaces' forces in the fleet, once I had them loaded in the fleet, I then clicked on Wallace and Ctrl-Clicked on the other elements of his command, then clicked the special movement (distant movement) and clicked on McNairy. They ended up in the correct place after end of turn processing.

But, as a test, I then tried (int he next turn) to have the fleet itself reposition to McNairy and I saw the same, one or more units cannot enter this river. So I am a bit puzzled as to why they could to drop the troops off, but not as a movement in and of itself.

FIRST POST BELOW:

Hi all,

Long time mil history interest, but only recently turned my attention to the Civil War.

I just purchased this game and I have run into a problem in tutorial 1 that, after restarting a couple of times, I cannot figure out what I an doing incorrectly.

I am at the point where I am supposed to place Wallace's force aboard the fleet and send it to the lower Tenn river and disembark the troops at McNairy.

I placed Wallace's force aboard the fleet, no problem.

The problem is that I see a message displayed that says that one or more of the units in the fleet cannot navigate this river.

So even though I plot the move, and have Grant move his force to McNairy, he ends up there alone because the fleet does not carry out its orders.

I have a similar (to me at this point) issue with the McCook force in Clarksville. I select them, and then select the riverine movement in the special movements tab and click on McNairy as well. I see no messages that this order will not be carried out.

When I run the end of turn, this unit also have not moved to McNairy.

So I have decided to carry on as best I can and come back to this once I can get a handle on what I am doing wrong.

Please enlighten me.

Regards,

SNAFU

Durk

Re: New Player with some questions on Tutorial 1 - RESOVED

Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:28 am

"But, as a test, I then tried (int he next turn) to have the fleet itself reposition to McNairy and I saw the same, one or more units cannot enter this river. So I am a bit puzzled as to why they could to drop the troops off, but not as a movement in and of itself."

There are a couple of ways to move units by fleet. You have actually used both, though perhaps inadvertently. Just back trace what you did and you will unravel this

major snafu
Corporal

Re: New Player with some questions on Tutorial 1 - RESOVED

Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:16 pm

Hi Durk,

Thanks for the response.

What I discovered is that if I take the fleet and specify the move one river segment at a time, they can navigate from their origin to McNair.

But if I try to drag them from their origin to McNair as a single plot, I see the error message. If I try to plot a move to move than one river segment at a time, I see the error message.

So, unless I discover something else, I currently feel that when moving fleets I am going to have to click each river segment in sequence from point of origin to destination. Seems a little "over clicky" to me, but probably won't be too bad.

in my latest run through of the tutorial all of the river moved units moved as expected, but this time Grant didn't make his move to McNair, so he must have failed a check.

This is my first AGEOD game, so I am expecting it to take a while as I figure my way through the game mechanics.

SNAFU

Return to “Civil War II”