KCDennis
Corporal

Stonewall Won't Go

Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:08 am

My nephew and I are playing our first game of AACWII, after waging numerous campaigns of the original. I just ran into something I can't find an explanation for. Playing as the Confederates I'm looking to reinforce my forces in Tennessee and freed up Stonewall Jackson's division. But when I try to move it there by rail it will only go so far and then I get a message that this unit is not permitted in that terrain. It seems like the limits of where it can go may match the department boundary line. Is that the case? Is the restriction linked to the game turn. It's February of 1862 if that matters.

Straight Arrow
General

Re: Stonewall Won't Go

Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:38 am

I would guess snow is blocking the tracks. In severe weather, both foot and rail movement in mountain areas is stopped. And if the supplies that each unit carries run out, a winter wonderland spent in Appalachia can turn into a death trap.

You might consider swinging the long way around, down through the Deep South. But that can take several turns.

Nikel

Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:23 pm

KCDennis you may also post a save so Straight Arrow or any other forum member can take a look.

Captain_Orso

Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:52 pm

KCDennis wrote:My nephew and I are playing our first game of AACWII, after waging numerous campaigns of the original. I just ran into something I can't find an explanation for. Playing as the Confederates I'm looking to reinforce my forces in Tennessee and freed up Stonewall Jackson's division. But when I try to move it there by rail it will only go so far and then I get a message that this unit is not permitted in that terrain. It seems like the limits of where it can go may match the department boundary line. Is that the case? Is the restriction linked to the game turn. It's February of 1862 if that matters.

If you are asking, if there are area restrictions, as to where you may send any leaders or units, no, there are none.

Rod Smart
Colonel

Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:00 pm

Captain_Orso wrote:
KCDennis wrote:My nephew and I are playing our first game of AACWII, after waging numerous campaigns of the original. I just ran into something I can't find an explanation for. Playing as the Confederates I'm looking to reinforce my forces in Tennessee and freed up Stonewall Jackson's division. But when I try to move it there by rail it will only go so far and then I get a message that this unit is not permitted in that terrain. It seems like the limits of where it can go may match the department boundary line. Is that the case? Is the restriction linked to the game turn. It's February of 1862 if that matters.

If you are asking, if there are area restrictions, as to where you may send any leaders or units, no, there are none.

There is a map square in eastern Tennessee that is inaccessible mountain. You cannot march a unit there. Probably a few of them out in Colorado too, but never had reason to travel west of Denver. It's off the beaten path though, and other than trying to turn Tennessee a nice uniform blue, there's no reason to try to go there.

As to the original question, Straight Arrow is likely correct. It's probably the weather. I run into this while playing as the north, and trying to ship new recruits from New England by rail through PA in the snow.
Either take the long way around, or check the weather before you leave.

Captain_Orso

Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:59 am

Rod Smart wrote:8<
There is a map square in eastern Tennessee that is inaccessible mountain. You cannot march a unit there. Probably a few of them out in Colorado too, but never had reason to travel west of Denver. It's off the beaten path though, and other than trying to turn Tennessee a nice uniform blue, there's no reason to try to go there.

As to the original question, Straight Arrow is likely correct. It's probably the weather. I run into this while playing as the north, and trying to ship new recruits from New England by rail through PA in the snow.
Either take the long way around, or check the weather before you leave.

That region is eastern Tennessee is the Cumberland Gap. You cannot stop on the region, but you can move over it, through the gap, so to say ;)

The point is, there is no rule, restricting sending Jackson, or any other leader, into the West; nor for any units. If the region is in play, it's in play for all.

KCDennis
Corporal

Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:50 pm

Thanks for the explanation gents. I had never ran into weather so bad that the trains wouldn't run.

DrPostman

Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:05 pm

KCDennis wrote:Thanks for the explanation gents. I had never ran into weather so bad that the trains wouldn't run.

It does happen though.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/north-dakota/articles/2017-03-09/amtrak-train-gets-stuck-in-snow-13-hours-in-north-dakota
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

Return to “Civil War II”