vha89
Conscript
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:21 pm

afterbattle info

Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:26 pm

Old system has some flaws, but it has the benefit it can be clearly seen what units were destroyed, how many them were, and which generals died. This is very an important information, to know how things are going. The new info panels are good too, but who is lives and who has died I have no idea whatsoever...

User avatar
Captain_Orso
Posts: 5380
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:02 pm
Location: Stuttgart, Germany

Re: afterbattle info

Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:38 pm

In CW2 in the Battle Report, killed leader and destroyed units are shown. Their icons are crossed out. Additionally, you should get a message in the Mail-Box, in the battle category I imagine, stating when a leader or unit was destroyed.

Why are you assuming that this doesn't occur?

principes romanes
Sergeant
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:32 pm
Location: Genève

Re: afterbattle info

Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:52 pm

I take your point Captain Orso, but I'm inclined to agree with vha89's concern.

I don't generally see a line through a general if they are killed; I rely on the message box to tell me that (but that only tells me for my own generals, not my opponents). Usually, if a division commander is killed, it is fairly obvious because their entire division is marked as destroyed when that is not actually the case, but I have had times when that has not shown up. I'll try to pull up a recent battle report to show how this.
[Edit: I looked at the battle report again, and the division commander's death is noted with the read line through his division command, as I'm used to.]

If an entire unit is destroyed, that shows up with the red line indicating it is destroyed. It is not obvious though when individual elements that are part of a larger unit have been destroyed. You can get the count for how many elements were destroyed my mousing-over the heart symbol in the top left, but it doesn't actually tell you which elements that is (or even which unit it was part of).
Currently writing:
The Coming Fury - an excessively detailed AAR on Union strategy

vha89
Conscript
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:21 pm

Re: afterbattle info

Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:24 pm

principes romanes wrote:

You are saying rhightly what I think. And in addition it is very uncomfortable to use. This constant mixup is a unit or general dead, ok, I can see the message about it (though it is not very comfortable to look for it amongst all other messages), but I have to know HOW MANY UNITS WERE KILLED in the battle EXACTLY! That's because I stiil play old ageod games, like the first "America Civil War".

User avatar
Captain_Orso
Posts: 5380
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:02 pm
Location: Stuttgart, Germany

Re: afterbattle info

Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:09 am

Shortcomings of the current system are that not all Elements of a Division are even displayed in the Battle Report.

Per Division only the first 10 elements, which includes the division commander, are displayed. This often doesn't let you see the artillery and cavalry in a division. Also, the brigade association is ignored. I believe the elements displayed are those with the greatest 'Power', which is a value calculated with an unpublished formula that averages offensive and defensive strength, but that is only of secondary importance. I'm not terribly concerned to which brigade a regiment belongs, if it's in a division.

This will probably only happen if you are mixing militia in with line infantry regiments in a division, which is a bad idea in and of itself exactly for this reason. But who's to say what a player might do.

If a division commander is lost during a round of battle, often times--this has been my experience--the division will take unusually high casualties, because it is suddenly uncommanded and the division's constituent elements will fight very poorly from that moment on, which leaves them open to extensive damage, far beyond what other divisions may experience in the battle. But you will often see this, because more than just the undisplayed elements are generally being lost.

But still you will get a series of messages in the Mail-Box directly before the battle message itself (god, or eh.. Pocus only knows why they are before the battle message) if leaders and/or units are lost, also elements IIRC, but I'm not 100% sure of that last point.

But aside from the 'hidden' elements, AFAIK, everything is working properly as it should.

User avatar
Captain_Orso
Posts: 5380
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:02 pm
Location: Stuttgart, Germany

Re: afterbattle info

Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:30 am

principes romanes wrote:8<
I don't generally see a line through a general if they are killed; I rely on the message box to tell me that


I can't remember having seen that. If it happens, it is a bug and should be reported as such.

principes romanes wrote:(but that only tells me for my own generals, not my opponents). Usually, if a division commander is killed


I've spoken with Pocus about that on at least one occasion. IIRC he said he'd look into it, when he has time.

principes romanes wrote:, it is fairly obvious because their entire division is marked as destroyed when that is not actually the case,


It's actually only coincidental that when a leader is killed, often the division will lose elements, sometimes to the point of the division being completely destroyed.

But IIRC I've also had leaders lost luckily just at the right moment that the division didn't lose a single element. It's not hard to see the missing division commander; he's listed with is division with a "Blood Stripe" and at the top, with the rest of the leaders, if he fits.

principes romanes wrote: but I have had times when that has not shown up. I'll try to pull up a recent battle report to show how this.
[Edit: I looked at the battle report again, and the division commander's death is noted with the read line through his division command, as I'm used to.]

If an entire unit is destroyed, that shows up with the red line indicating it is destroyed. It is not obvious though when individual elements that are part of a larger unit have been destroyed. You can get the count for how many elements were destroyed my mousing-over the heart symbol in the top left, but it doesn't actually tell you which elements that is (or even which unit it was part of).

Return to “Civil War II”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests