Straight Arrow
General

Feed Me Seymour

Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:07 am

A call for help.

I'm looking for any areas where it might be helpful for the South to build, or destroy, depots.

Suggested locations will be added to the "Point to Know" thread in an attempt to help players get a feel for supply networks.

Durk

Re: Feed Me Seymour

Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:27 am

For me, depots are situational, not deterministic. But is an interesting query. If there are two places new depots are critical they would be Springfield, Missouri and Jefferson City Missouri. The South, if in aggressive play, needs to draw supplies to Jefferson City.
In all other situations, it is situational. That is, it just depends.

hanny1
Captain

Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:38 am

early on the ai will push in from w va, an early build of a depot at staunton makes it vastly easier to confront and turn back these attacks, destruction of rail and depot at h ferry and mannassas when pulling back is also important, esp if done in conection of aproaching poor weather, two instances in eastern theatre of ways depots can be handled to cs adcantage.

principes romanes
Sergeant

Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:32 pm

I know your points to know is specifically from the CSA perspective, but as the USA I always build a depot Louisville, KY. I find that supply otherwise won't flow along the rail line. Admittedly, the CSA here has the advantage that Bowling Green has farm fields that produce a lot of supply. I'm not sure how far that can flow to support an army operating in KY.

And another USA depot tip: I like to build a depot in one of the Gulf ports to provide some assistance to ships or amphibious forces that might need to recover cohesion, and spare them a trip back to NY/Philly/Baltimore.

Again, these may very well be outside the scope of what is useful to a CSA-framed perspective.
Currently writing:
The Coming Fury - an excessively detailed AAR on Union strategy

Rod Smart
Colonel

Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:25 pm

Not really "required" locations exactly, but early on when the South has plenty of money but no war supplies, I'll build a handful of flatboats, and turn them into depots. Might be useful to put one in Knoxville, another Tennessee harbor, Port Hudson to back up New Orleans, along the Red River in case there's action in Oklahoma, Tallahassee if you want to move on Fort Pickens, Birmingham to create a bridge from Tennessee to Mobile, Houston for when the Union lands in Texas, mid-Mississippi to help flow along the river, etc.

Good point about Staunton. You may need a division to respond to movement out of the West Virginia mountains. That division needs supplies.

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:29 am

As the CSA, I always fall back from WV, exfiltrating to the south over the mountains. I either send a fast mover to lead them to safety, or path the units individually; the general who starts there will get them fixed in place on multiple turns if you leave him in charge and they will starve, he is the worst (can't remember his name). If you play with historical attrition, those Volunteer brigades will need a depot to get to full strength, and I am not about to waste builidng one in WV just so it can get captured. Occasionally I send a supply wagon to meet them part way if they are having trouble getting away. Those guys can often make it back to DC in time for Taylor to show up and make the Volunteers into regulars.

Secondary tip, Taylor is around for three turns, so he can upgrade exatcly six elements. The most bang for the buck is for him to doit to those Volunteer brigades that you start with in DC and WV, plan ahead, and be very careful not to leave any conscripts in his stack. Alternatively, you could buy six virginia militia, combine them into two element units na d then have him train those, although it is more cost effective to upgrade the Volunteer brigades, since you have them anyway and they are pretty ineffective otherwise.

Vivikos2
Civilian

Tue May 30, 2017 1:43 pm

I am also curious about that.

Durk

Wed May 31, 2017 5:04 am

I occasionally play for West Virginia as the CSA. It can be a successful play, with luck and careful play.

DrPostman

Wed May 31, 2017 4:49 pm

Durk wrote:I occasionally play for West Virginia as the CSA. It can be a successful play, with luck and careful play.

And industry rich Pittsburgh becomes so tempting a target from a W VA base. :dada:
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

Return to “Civil War II”