DaveTinCO
Civilian

CW2 AI

Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:00 am

Greetings!

I have been playing CW2 for years, logging many hours in the standalone and recently loaded the Steam version. After playing the recent versions 1.0.5+ (Both Union and Confederate) in the PC and Steam versions I have noticed that the AI seems dead. It reacts, purely defensively, when I attack. It has never attacked. I have loaded up a saved game and noticed that the opposing side doesn't spend any funds, nor build any new units, etc. I would have assumed that the AI was deactivated but I have verified that the AI is active in the game menu. I have tried multiple different AI settings which ultimately makes no difference. I have tried running CW2 in compatibility mode, etc also with no change.

In my most recent example I started an April 1861 campaign game as Union, didn't build a single unit and evacuated Washington leaving only the garrison and the CSA did not attack or make any aggressive moves. After 2 years there was no change in the CSA deployment in any department.

I don't remember it being this way in the past. Has anyone else noticed this lack of behavior in the AI?

Both Steam and PC Versions: 1.06+
System OS: Windows 10 Pro

Captain_Orso

Re: CW2 AI

Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:58 am

Hi DaveTinCO and welcome to the forum :hat: ,

the first thing you should do is check if Athena--that's what many of us here have lovingly have named the AI :love: --is actually awake, I mean, she's turned on... :blink: ... I mean-I mean- activated.. Image

Go to the main menu, then Options -> (upper-right) AI -> Activate AI [On]. If not, well... you know what to do :eyebrow:

DaveTinCO
Civilian

Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:39 pm

Yes she is definitely activated. That was one of the first things I checked.

Dave

DaveTinCO
Civilian

Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:30 am

I found the issue and the solution.

I loaded the steam version on a different PC and it worked fine. The only major difference in the OS setup was that on my main PC I moved my default 'My Documents' Folder to my D: drive. So on my main PC I moved the default Documents folder back to C: and she is working again. I am guessing there is something hard coded within CW2 or the engine as a whole that requires the C: drive for the 'My Documents' folder.

Dave

DreamsDefined
Conscript

Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:29 am

Hmm, very strange. I would probably post a bug-report then...

I ran the same test (pulled all my forces back to Baltimore), and the AI waltzed into the evacuated cities.

The AI has it's faults, but can't say I've noticed it being super passive like that.

Return to “Civil War II”