BigDuke66
General

Militia / Volunteer retain Home Area after training

Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:34 am

Does anyone have a clue why Kentucky Militia / Volunteer train up to line infantry that has no home area while others(Massachusetts) train up but retain their home area.
Is it WAD or a bug?
"Spread word to every slave, that even the mighty republic bleeds when struck!"
Join the Napoleonic Wargame Club
Join the American Civil War Game Club
Join the The Blitz Wargaming Club

Pocus

Re: Militia / Volunteer retain Home Area after training

Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:19 am

Probably a bug, but lets call it a database oversight. :dada:

Captain_Orso

Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:23 pm

Without knowing exactly which units you are talking about it's impossible to make any useful statement about what and why. Could you provide scenario, the unit names in question, and how they came into play?

BigDuke66
General

Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:25 pm

It's scenario 4 the Full 2 Theater campaign.
The units are the normal Volunteers that can be build in all states.
Here a picture of a Kentucky Volunteer unit after training, no home state, the picture in the stack panel is normal and it is listed a conscript in the inspection panel.

The second pic shows a Massachusetts Volunteer unit after training, it still has the Home State on the unit detail window, the pic on the stack panel is still that of a volunteer and the inspection panel lists it as Volunteer.

Captain_Orso

Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:39 am

Management Summery

I think there is either an error in the cache file(s), or more likely, in the way the conscripts are being displayed.

Note: the Massachusetts units is listed in the Unit Detail Panel as "Vol.(MA)/Volunteers (MA), while the Kentucky unit is listed as "8th Kentucky Mil./Inf. (conscript) Rgt. Also note that the Massachusetts unit has Police: 2, while the Kentucky unit has Police: 1; so there must be different models being displayed, one conscript and the other full line infantry.

Reasoning

For each Union state there is 1 Volunteers unit assigned to it, which you can build; 25 altogether.
These Volunteer units differ from one another in only a couple of aspects:

Their unit identification number (each is unique), and the State suffix applied to all names (eg. Volunteers (KY), or Volunteers (MA), and the State abbreviation graphic displayed to the left of their NATO symbol.

The 25 Volunteer units share 5 Volunteer models, 1-5, (eg. '449USAVolunteers (KY).uni' has 'ModelType0 = $mdl_USA_Mil1', and '450USAVolunteers (MA).uni' has 'ModelType0 = $mdl_USA_Mil5').

These 5 models differ from one another in only 2 aspects, their UID's, their alias (eg. mdl_USA_Mil1, mdl_USA_Mil5, etc.), and their portraits. In other words the graphic, which is displayed on the map, etc.

Conclusion

BigDuke, I bet if you train up the Kentucky unit to full line infantry, it will regain the Home State display.

BigDuke66
General

Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:11 pm

Captain_Orso wrote:Conclusion

BigDuke, I bet if you train up the Kentucky unit to full line infantry, it will regain the Home State display.

I will try that and report back.

BigDuke66
General

Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:53 pm

I haven't checked that specific Kentucky unit but did check some others.
1. Those Volunteer Militas that are trained by a training general and that end up as "Inf (conscrip) Rgt" won't train any further like a normal conscript regiment would do, at least not by those training generals. I guess here is some kind of naming error because while they show "Inf (conscrip) Rgt" they have a normal line symbol and not the conscript symbol.
2. I see other militias being trained but not by training generals, now those end up also with a line element but keep their Home Area.

My theory for now is, there is a difference between letting a training generals train a milita and let it train up by them self. The generals seems to make line elements without home area, while the normal training makes line elements with home area.
So we might not look for a bug in the milita units but rather at what the training generals produce and what the normal training process produces.

Return to “Civil War II”