Malwart
Conscript

Re: Questions From a Newcomer

Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:31 pm

Hey, another newcomer here. I purchased the game a while ago but only now (that the replacement bug is fixed) am getting back into the game and really enjoying it. A few questions for the veterans without opening another thread.

FYI: All of these questions are being posed as playing the full campaign as the Union.

1. Replacements: I've had a few large battles and replacements are being used..but the rate they are consumed is confusing. I've had 10 chits replace hundreds of hits without using a single one. I know that each chit is a a random roll to replace a hit but I was under the impression it was around a 10:1 ratio. Am I missing something?

2. How often are replacements issued when not a complete element replacement? I know the manual says the Union has a slower replace rate but..is it a check every turn? Do I always have to put land units in passive to replace men? Corinth is not going to take itself. :)

3. I've managed to inflict casualties on the computer at about a 3:1 ratio in my favor. Does this actual impact game-play or should I worry more about strategic objectives over unit and army destruction?

4. The Blockaid. I've read the manual. I've read the fantastic sticky. I can't seem to get the blue water blockaid over 20%. I've build dedicated blockaid fleets. I've blockaided ports with brown water fleets. I'm suck... Hapl! :pleure:

Thank you for all the help so far!

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:09 am

1.) Somewhere deep in this forum is a thread that contains good data from testing.. I couldn't find it.. Anyhow, IIRC the average number of hits replaced per chit is much higher than 10. For infantry its around 40, I believe.

But, as you noted, DICE! :leprechau Sometimes you get the blessing of RNGesus, sometimes you don't. The percent chance of a chit being used is based on the percent of health of the element being replaced. At half health its a 50% coin flip. If you are topping off 300 hits worth of barely damaged units, you can get lucky and not consume a single chit, or you could roll that 5% on the first try and get shafted.

2.) They don't need to be in passive posture. Though, units in passive posture will have a higher priority for receiving replacements than those who are not. Depots play a role in that too.

3.) I'd guess that that largely depends on your difficulty setting. At max difficulty the AI get twice the resources, its a bit tough to pursue an attrition or economic victory. However, those battles should be getting you some good NM gains? Breaking the opponents NM is the only way to achieve a major victory, go for the glory in the field if that's your style. If not, then go for the jugular objective of Richmond for 50 NM.

4.) If you have built additional blockade flotillas and your blockade % is stuck at 20% then something is definitely going wrong. :cthulhu:

What is your 'Naval boxes handling' setting at? The more automated the setting, the less effective each ship will be.

Do you have your blockade flotillas equally distributed between the Gulf Blockade box and the Atlantic Blockade box?

Malwart
Conscript

Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:38 am

I'd guess that that largely depends on your difficulty setting.

Um..as embarrassing as it is to admit, I'm on Private. Sargent was just overwhelming and the CSA would show up with 2:1 manpower advantages everywhere. This play-though is..manageable. I do get some NM gains but maybe 1 at the most. Even when I'm able to win a fight and inflict losses I get 1 NM at the most. Usually 0.

What is your 'Naval boxes handling' setting at?

It's fully automated for supply. I do have even fleets between both blockaid boxes with even numbers going back and forth for resupply. Maybe I just need more?

Depots play a role in that too.

Hey! This is another question about supply. Do I need to build a depot in every region I control to make sure supply flows property? Even if I have military control (100%) the supply overlay indicates that +0 and +0 for supply sent and received? Or do I need a road or railroad or river and military control?

And thank you for your all your help. The forums here are..helpful. It's been a while since I've been on a helpful game forum. :papy:

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:36 pm

If you have large forces fighting and you inflict thousands more casualties than you take, then you usually get some NM to show for it. If the CSA loses 3 men and you lose 1, then not so much. :)

If you have supply for the Navy automated and squadrons are sailing to port and back, then you don't have enough squadrons actually on station in the blockade boxes. You receive some blockade squadrons (BS) that lack all their ships. Leave these in large ports, preferably with Naval Engineers, so that they can fill out to max strength quickly. Then station five BS in each of the two blockade boxes. Put the BS in each box all into one stack with the combat settings to Defensive/Retreat if Engaged (Blue square on top /Green square on the bottom). The BS ships should blockade the CSA, not sail back and forth or engage individual blockade runners. I've left the ships on station like this into 1863 and they still had supplies. This way, you get an acceptable blockade percentage and you can concentrate production on winning the land war.

Here's the AGEODWiki link for Supply:

http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/Supply

Good luck!

Captain_Orso

Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:45 pm

Let's start with Replacements. The rule of thumb is, each chit can statistically replace as many hits as the element receiving the replacements times 2. EG an line infantry has 20 hits when full. A line infantry replacement chit will on the average replace about 40 hits.

Malwart wrote:
I'd guess that that largely depends on your difficulty setting.

Um..as embarrassing as it is to admit, I'm on Private. Sargent was just overwhelming and the CSA would show up with 2:1 manpower advantages everywhere. This play-though is..manageable. I do get some NM gains but maybe 1 at the most. Even when I'm able to win a fight and inflict losses I get 1 NM at the most. Usually 0.

Don't be embarrassed. We were all in your shoes at one time. Once you've got a grip on the rules and handling the game, push up to Sargent or Lieutenant as quickly as possible. Why? So that you don't get used to countering strange tactics, which the AI will use on low settings.

IMHO the ultimate goal to to get into PvP PBEM. There is simply no comparison to playing a human opponent. But got get the you have to play against the AI which acts as close to a human as possible.

Malwart wrote:
What is your 'Naval boxes handling' setting at?

It's fully automated for supply. I do have even fleets between both blockaid boxes with even numbers going back and forth for resupply. Maybe I just need more?

It's Blockade; Block-Aid is the benefits concert 'Bobby' Lee-Geldorf organized for the relief of Southern cities suffering under the lack of imported Scotch and French Brandy. They were however swimming in Bourbon and Rum ;) .

How many Blockade Flotillas do you have and where?

Could it be that you didn't declare the full Blockade? IIRC only that gives you the extra 5 more Blockade Flotillas, 4 in the Atlantic Blockade Box, and 1 in the Gulf Blockade Box.

I think you get the two incomplete flotillas, one in New York City, one in Boston, regardless of what options you choose. If you've declared the full Blockade you should have a total of 10 Blockade Flotillas altogether.

Malwart wrote:
Depots play a role in that too.

Hey! This is another question about supply. Do I need to build a depot in every region I control to make sure supply flows property? Even if I have military control (100%) the supply overlay indicates that +0 and +0 for supply sent and received? Or do I need a road or railroad or river and military control?

No; rule of thumb is 3 regions.

It works like a chain.. a Supply Chain :w00t: A stack of units with one or more Supply "Pack Train" Units 'pulls' on a nearby Depot (not more than 2 hexes, which from may experience doesn't always work without a rail line or river between stack and Depot), that Depot pulls on another nearby Depot with lots of supply, which in turn pulls on yet another, and so on, and so forth.

To gauge whether and how much Supply moves from one Depot to the next, the engine checks the Supply Path as if a Supply Unit were actually moving from Depot to Depot, or Depot to Stack. If it arrives in one turn, the path is valid; if not... Hunger Games :poke:

Malwart wrote:And thank you for your all your help. The forums here are..helpful. It's been a while since I've been on a helpful game forum. :papy:

Glad to be of help Image

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:49 pm

I'd recommend turning your naval boxes handling option to 'manual'. At 'fully automated' their effectiveness is reduced by 75%.

Just check your blockade flotillas supply levels every few months, send a pair of transports out to resupply them as needed.

A Block-Aid concert.. that's gold. :party:

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:57 am

Captain_Orso wrote:It's Blockade; Block-Aid is the benefits concert 'Bobby' Lee-Geldorf organized for the relief of Southern cities suffering under the lack of imported Scotch and French Brandy. They were however swimming in Bourbon and Rum ;) .

Damnit, Orso. You broke my association with the Civil War blockade, now I'm in pain, and I'm going to get some company for my misery.

Shortly after reading your pun I picked my nephew up from day-care. On one of the walls in this daycare is an oversized poster, a poster of an old American TV icon breaking through a wall, the Kool-Aid Man. If anyone can break through the blockade its the Kool-Aid Man, you know what he does to walls... Uhgg, it hurts.

Captain_Orso

Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:14 am

I guess you didn't realize until now that the Kool-Aid Man is really a Blockade-Runner :niark:

Return to “Civil War II”