Captain_Orso

How To PBEM

Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:00 pm

PBEM = Play By EMail

This is directly from the manual, updated by myself to fit to the current game.

Play by Email (PBEM )
CW II can be played against another human opponent using PBEM or any other valid file transfer protocol, such as Instant Messaging. One of the players (the “Host”) will have to initiate the game. The procedure is detailed below:

1. Create a game:
The Hosting player chooses a Campaign/Scenario and a side and starts the game as usual. This automatically generates a sub-folder in the 'C:\Users\{Username}\My Games\Civil War II\CW2\Saves\' directory, named after the Campaign or Scenario selected ('1861 April Campaign' if you play the “1861 April Campaign” scenario, for example). Please note that a number at the end of the folder name helps differentiate between multiple instances of the same Campaign/Scenario. However, the best way to avoid confusion is to rename the in-game Save (e.g. 1861 Campaign John vs. Joe). Do NOT rename any CW2 files inside the Saves\{scenario_name} folder just created. They will be changed automatically when using the rename function in the load-scenario menu.

In this newly created folder you will find a .hst file, which is shared by both players.

2. Host sends the HST file to opponent:
The Hosting player now sends his opponent the .hst file. The opponent must create a folder in the 'C:\Users\{Username}\My Games\Civil War II\CW2\Saves\' directory, named after the Campaign or Scenario exactly as in the .hst file name, and copy the .hst file into this folder. For example, if the full name of the .hst file received is '1861 April Campaign.hst', the non-hosting player must create a folder named '1861 April Campaign' and copy the .hst into it.

Note: In order to avoid possible data corruption while transferring files, it is strongly advised to compress the file(s) into an archive format such as ZIP, RAR, or 7z, what ever the players agree upon.

3. Non-Host sends ORD file to Host:
Each player now loads the scenario .hst file and gives his orders for the upcoming turn. When ready, each player saves the game. This will generate a .ord file in the folder mentioned above.

Important: do not click on End Turn at this step, only save.

The Non-Hosting player then sends his .ord file to the Hosting player.

4. Host resolves turn
The Hosting player saves the .ord file received from his opponent into the appropriate directory and loads the game again. He now clicks on End Turn to launch the turn resolution, where all orders are then executed. A new turn is now
ready to start. Go back to step 2. and repeat, only the non-hosting player will use the previously created folder instead of creating a new one.

Note: The Non-Hosting player doesn’t get to “play back” his opponent’s turn. However, he can check the turn’s Message Log to see what has occurred during the turn, including battle reports.

--

Maybe this could be sticky-ed for posterity.

DrPostman

Re: How To PBEM

Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:39 pm

Agree - sticky this please.

Durk

Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:04 am

There is actually a different and more balance way to play via pbem. That is, to use joint hosting. This differs in only a few ways.
The initiating player starts the game and makes a move.
Then the player saves and sends all files to the opponent.
The opponent make a move, saves and executes/runs the turn.
Then the opponent makes a new move and saves.
Next, the opponent sends all files.
The player then makes a move and executes the turn.
Then makes a new move and sends all files to the opponent.

This process has the beauty of sharing turns and viewing game execution; plus the game processes at 50% faster game resolution.

BattleVonWar
Major

Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:18 am

Duel hosting is definitely the only way to play CW2 considering how slow it is. I spent at least 3 or 4 months with a game the player didn't respond and I didn't blame him. It also keeps player interest...

BigDuke66
General

Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:12 am

Regarding replay, aren't the Replay_CSA.rpl respectively Replay_USA.rpl file there to let the none-hosting player see the turn?

Now if only one player hosts, is there any need to wait for the other player to send his ord file over to let the hosting player make his orders?
I mean both can do the orders and by that create the ord files parallel, there is no need to wait for the other except to process the turn?
"Spread word to every slave, that even the mighty republic bleeds when struck!"
Join the Napoleonic Wargame Club
Join the American Civil War Game Club
Join the The Blitz Wargaming Club

Durk

Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:16 am

Yes, replay allows the none hosting player to see the turn.

One really nice bonus to the hosting player if not doing shared hosting is this: you can run the turn, then do your turn while waiting for your opponent's ord. Then when that ord arrives, you can review your turn and execute. Yes, there is no need to wait, you can make your ord immediately.

Captain_Orso

Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:57 pm

Two things.

I didn't mention anything about the replay files, bc they are 'as-is' only; they are not officially supported, and there is no UI to use them. You can only view them thru a console command.

Yes, the hosting player can start issuing orders for then next turn execution directly after the previous turn's resolution. I would however suggest the hosing player ALWAYS quit the game immediately after turn execution has completed to prevent any issues with debug logs and known issues with running multiple turns without quitting.

It's a tad bit cumbersome, but in the long run, the couple of minutes it takes to restart the game game program compared to about an hour of plotting a turn... :bonk:

Captain_Orso

Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:01 pm

One more thing. About dual-hosting. Both players MUST assure they have the exact same game option settings, as none of the settings are stored in the .hst files. The settings the currently hosting player is using is what will be used during turn execution. If both are not using the same settings, it will lead to some unexpected issues when orders issued by the a player or not executed as expected.

Marmaduke
Civilian

Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:28 am

Thanks for this

chocko101
Conscript

Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:06 pm

I’m using the method you describe in the beginning of the post and it works. I was wondering why the manual does not make reference to the HST but rather a TRN file?

Captain_Orso

Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:48 pm

Because back when the manual was written, each side had their own TRN file. Since then the TRN files were combined into the HST file, so that there could be no mismatching of files.

chocko101
Conscript

Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:21 am

Thanks CPT Orso!

I’m starting a PBEM with a friend who is new to the game. So far we’ve used the procedure you outlined. That is to say I, as the host, send him the HST, he downloads/does his move/ saves it and sends me his new ORD.

What I have been doing was down loading his ORD,/running the turn/ and sending him the HST immediately, so he can review results while I plan my next set of orders. I’m assuming that when I save my new orders it is updating my ORD file and not modifying the HST.

If that is true and since I sent him the new HST, could he plan his next move at the same time I’m planning my move and send me his new ORD when he saves it? That way as soon as I’m done with my plan; and downloaded his ORD, I can execute the next turn.

BigDuke66
General

Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:52 am

Yes that all works.

OneSwellFoop
Conscript

Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:57 pm

chocko101 wrote:Thanks CPT Orso!

I’m starting a PBEM with a friend who is new to the game. So far we’ve used the procedure you outlined. That is to say I, as the host, send him the HST, he downloads/does his move/ saves it and sends me his new ORD.

What I have been doing was down loading his ORD,/running the turn/ and sending him the HST immediately, so he can review results while I plan my next set of orders. I’m assuming that when I save my new orders it is updating my ORD file and not modifying the HST.

If that is true and since I sent him the new HST, could he plan his next move at the same time I’m planning my move and send me his new ORD when he saves it? That way as soon as I’m done with my plan; and downloaded his ORD, I can execute the next turn.

I would appreciate some clarification on the instructions for the "improved" method of dual-hosting quoted above. Could someone post a step by step of what files should be sent at each specific point in the process please? I've read & re-read this quoted post but I'm still a little confused over what it describes.

Like chocko101, my friend & I are playing a PBEM game, but unlike him, we're both new to this, so my friend is complaining I'm taking too long returning game files. Admittedly, I am taking an extended amount of time but, IMO, I'm just being thorough & I personally feel he needs to have some patience......... but I digress! ;)

Here's how we're currently dual-hosting:

1) I download his .HST and .ORD files
2) I launch game
3) I Load game file
4) I view the results of his last turn
5) I make my moves
6) I realize I don't have to save it, but I do anyway, then I click Next Turn
7) I watch the turn unfold
8) I make my moves
9) I save it
10) I quit out of the game
11) I send my friend both .HST and .ORD files
12) I (patiently) wait for his reply
13) Rinse&Repeat
14) :D I add a smilie to this post so I don't end up with an unlucky number of 13 steps
15) Honestly I'm not that superstitious. Forgive my lame attempt at humor!

All joking aside, I hope someone can assist so we can speed things along.

Thank you in advance.

1SF

BigDuke66
General

Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:16 pm

Sounds good to me, don't see a way to speed it up.
If you need the time to make the turn you opponent should be so patient to wait.

gwgardner
Brigadier General

Wed May 11, 2022 8:07 pm

Anyone know how to get replay working with Wars of Napoleon, using the .rpl files?

I start the game, load the .hst file, select a nation, play
Then I do a ctrl-~ to bring up the console, type in LoadReplay <path to .rpl file>
Nothing happens.
Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks for any help.

Nikel

Thu May 12, 2022 1:44 pm

Open the file "General.opt" with a text editor like notepad. It is in this folder:

"\Wars of Napoleon\NGC\Settings"

And change this line to:

Code: Select all

// Replay
inoReplay = 1

Save and close. Try again.

gwgardner
Brigadier General

Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:01 am

Thanks for the info. I haven't yet tried that, since another player gave me this technique:

Put the country replay file in the save folder along with the .hst file.
Load the save, pick the country you want the replay for, play.
Type in the ~ key
type in LoadReplay
then when map resets to the beginning of the replay, maneuver the map to whatever it is you want to look at, and hit the spacebar

Return to “Civil War II”