dhy
Private

Forum spam

Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:22 am

Does this forum have active moderators?

http://www.ageod-forum.com/search.php?searchid=1652358

All of this guys posts have 'Tags' linking to spammy sites / malware.
If there's active mods, I'm surprised no one has noticed all those posts and I'll bet there's a lot more where that came from.

He looks legit though, so could be compromised himself.

DrPostman

Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:46 pm

Nothing there at your link. You can report a post. It's difficult to see, in the lower left
hand corner.
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

dhy
Private

Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:37 pm

Must've been a temp link, All posts from this one here: http://www.ageod-forum.com/member.php?169932-adamjohnson

It's no skin off my nose but it seems like these spammy links are being tolerated. Where there's spam, there's malware nearby, and someone is bound to click or accidently click a link off this forum and wind up with ransomware one of these days, if the trashy links are being permitted. Note how admins are replying to his posts and the links remain.

This is my first and last complaint about this, I'm just giving people a heads up, and I understand that forums take a lot of work to keep clean, but that's what volunteers are for :)

DrPostman

Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:00 am

They will eventually get to it, but it takes time, and it helps to click on that report
icon and let them know. Here's an image of it. I don't know why it's so hard to
see like this (the little triangle with the exclamation mark inside):

[ATTACH]39736[/ATTACH]
Attachments
spam.jpg

DrPostman

Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:04 am

dhy wrote:Must've been a temp link, All posts from this one here: http://www.ageod-forum.com/member.php?169932-adamjohnson

Doesn't look like that guy is doing any spamming. Perhaps someone hijacked his
account and did that, and now they've erased all the spam. I only see legit game
questions and posts.

Captain_Orso

Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:13 am

If you run into a spam-post, or a post with any issue at all for that matter, there is an icon at the bottom left of every post, a warning triangle with an exclamation mark in it /!\ .

If you click on that , it's you can report spam or anything, and it goes straight to the moderators with a link to the offending post.

lodilefty

Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:03 pm

Watching. :sherlock:

...sometimes volunteers have things other than AGEOD in their lives...

Use the post report function to help us help you.....
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

dhy
Private

Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:57 pm

Erm, Are you telling me you don't see this?

[ATTACH]39757[/ATTACH]

Or are you saying that looks normal to you?
I've checked from 3 different PCs to confirm it isn't just me, so if I'm the only one seeing that then I have a serious problem, however I haven't seen anything fishy anywhere else.
Attachments
spam.jpg

dhy
Private

Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:16 pm

Someone removed the spammy links from first post but _ALL_ his posts have them and the report function makes it hard to report all these posts:

"This forum requires that you wait 120 seconds between reporting posts. Please try again in 65 seconds."

I'm sorry but not going to bother with that limit in place when there's several posts to report and I noticed other members with similar spammy links so there'd prolly be at least a dozen posts to report. I was just trying to help, it looks bad to have spam in posts where admins and mods are replying and they remain, and remain still.

I suppose I could paste all the posts in the same report though.

As I said, my first and last complaint about the spam.

lodilefty

Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:18 pm

dhy wrote:Erm, Are you telling me you don't see this?

[ATTACH]39757[/ATTACH]

I've checked from 3 different PCs to confirm it isn't just me, so if I'm the only one seeing that then I have a serious problem, however I haven't seen anything fishy anywhere else.

I'm saying I don't have time to read every post.
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

dhy
Private

Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:48 pm

lodilefty wrote:I'm saying I don't have time to read every post.

I was replying to Captain_Orso since he said he didn't see anything wrong.

No doubt you've spent a great deal of time policing the forums and I'm certain everyone appreciates your efforts and time.

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:11 am

I've seen spam bots drive web admins to madness. Have sympathy for the good people who fight these horrible beasts - they can only truly be killed with silver, fire, and +5 weapons.

DrPostman

Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:05 am

I don't even notice a post's tags.

deidaraakatski
Sergeant

Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:00 am

dhy wrote:Erm, Are you telling me you don't see this?

[ATTACH]39757[/ATTACH]

Yes, I've clicked on a few of his past post and indeed some of his threads still have that malware.
Annoying and sad that user would post such malware after his posts. Quite frankly, most of his questions and suggestion are really silly and have already been answered in past threads. He/she is just cramping up the forums with nonsensical posts, but it's quite likely he/she does this on purpose as bait for more people to view said thread and possibly click on those malware... Probably best to not reply to that user's threads.
Revolution Under Siege Gold To End All Wars Espana 1936 Wars of Napoleon Civil War II Alea Jacta Est Birth of America II: Wars in America Thirty Years' War Pride of Nations Rise of Prussia Gold

Captain_Orso

Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:34 am

dhy wrote:I was replying to Captain_Orso since he said he didn't see anything wrong.

No doubt you've spent a great deal of time policing the forums and I'm certain everyone appreciates your efforts and time.

*huh* what?!?

I'm not sure where you got that idea. I wasn't aware of adamjohnson's so-called 'Tags' until just now. Those 'Tags' appear to be in his signature, so they will appear in every post he posts.

It could be considered spam, but it's not like the spam I've seen where the entire post is just advertising for 'do you want to 'buy stolen credit cards from' and then a hundred line list of credit card companies, or such posts.

If you see a post with an issue you would like to report, be it spam, abusive language, advertising or whatever, click on the icon below the poster's name

to open the report window

write a report about the issue and click on the post report button and the forum admins and moderators will be notified.

dhy
Private

Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:08 pm

Here's a gem I find where Luxian and adamjohnson post together with the same ol' links (Luxian was the other one on this forum I reported).

http://vrtalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-3800.html
and there's more of that...

and a pic:
[ATTACH]39785[/ATTACH]

They're probably really the same person. I didn't say for sure there was malware at the pages they link to, only that there's potential for it. These guys are clearly keyword spamming (for search engines and for traffic).

Spammers these days have grown wiser, they know they can't just make completely nonsensical posts with a bot and stuff linked keywords in them. So they learn a bit about the topic to look more legit when they post. I'm out of touch with search engines these days but I know they used to penalize pages/websites for keyword stuffing/spam.

In any event, this thread should probably just die as I feel like I've annoyed the poor admins enough with this :D
Attachments
spam2.jpg

Return to “Civil War II”