Captain_Orso

The Wikia CW2 Wiki page

Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:27 pm

I didn't want to trash anybody else's thread any more than we already have, so I though a new thread would be appropriate.

The very first thing I discovered about the Wikia CW2 Wiki page, this was long ago, is that it cannot be found through the Wikia main page. If you go to the main page and sear for it, it is never found.

I also find the organization somehow strange. It feels less a Wiki than a fan-forum. I rather question, whether it would be the best place to host a Wiki, although I haven't done any research into alternatives. But maybe the AGE Wiki would be as good as any.

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:40 pm

I think there is something wonky on the AGE wiki, it has been "closed due to unusual levels of spamming" for years now.

I am certainly not married to wikia. If there is a better option, no reason not to just copy the good stuff over. I do like being able to add pictures and stuff, though.

We can scrap the "organization" and rework it, it's not like there is a lot of stuff under any of the headings.

DrPostman

Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:18 am

I love the idea of an updated Wiki.
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

Captain_Orso

Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:14 am

The AGE Wiki is not closed, but the registration process has been turned off. I believe Pocus or LodiLefty can register people manually, or at least allow it for short periods of time, in which interested parties could register.

The reason I mentioned about not being able to search for our page in Wikia, is because it would be good. Of course the AGE Wiki can only be found through the forums, so it's not like we are at a loss with Wikia, only that a different Wiki provider might have a better solution.

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:52 pm

I nominate Captain Orso to be in charge of the organizational effort, (assuming he wants to do it) to determine where the wiki should go and set up the details of getting that done, and creating an overall structure for the document so that it can be filled in by the community. This way we can give him the moral authority to make administrative decisions for the group so that we can proceed to the writing and vetting of content.

Does anyone else second this nomination or wish to be nominated themselves?

I volunteer to work on articles as assigned by the good Captain, (or whoever we decide) be it original writing, fact checking, testing, layout or whatever else.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:13 pm

I think that we are all comfortable with the good Captain. Also, anything that I have posted is free to be used. Edit it, crop it, whatever you like.
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

Straight Arrow
General

Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:15 pm

Hear! Hear! I second that Captain Orso to be in charge of the organizational effort.

And I too volunteer to work as assigned by El Oso Capitan.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one's youth.

Nikel

Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:10 pm

If you are so motivated, why don't you try to improve the game? Adding events, making it more historical, the political aspect recently commented,...

Just a comment.

Captain_Orso

Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:32 pm

I would say, that it's more important to make the game more accessible to players than to tweak it ---not that I have anything against tweaks, just that I would put that on the back-burner for the moment.

Aside from that, it does remind me, that there are still bug in scripts and issues with RGD's pertaining to Indians. Perhaps those should be addressed first, before starting on a large project like the Wiki. I'm not sure where AGEod's work load is at the moment, but I'm sure if good solutions were already created, it would go a long way in Pocus being able to allocate time for vetting and implementing them in a patch.

lodilefty

Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:11 pm

Post a link to your wiki and I'll add to AGEWiki

If you have contributions for AGEWiki, send me a p.m. to apply for a username.
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Captain_Orso

Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:01 am

I already have an AGE-Wiki account, others my wish one though.

This is the link to the Wikia CW2 page: Civil War 2 Wiki

EDIT: corrected link to CW2 Wikia Wiki page

Straight Arrow
General

Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:18 pm

Captain_Orso wrote:I already have an AGE-Wiki account, others my wish one though.

This is the link to the Wikia CW2 page: The Wikia CW2 Wiki page

Kapteeni karhu, I believe the posted link just loops back to this page.

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:07 am

I'd like to contribute to this project.

Captain_Orso wrote:I would say, that it's more important to make the game more accessible to players than to tweak it ---not that I have anything against tweaks, just that I would put that on the back-burner for the moment.

I agree. This forum already has a wealth of information, but it is so spread out and buried deep. I've been here a while now and remembering my first dive into the forums; it was tough. One really has to act like a dwarf of Moria and delve deep. SA's points to know thread did a lot to help new players, but a fully updated and maintained wiki would be even better.

Captain_Orso wrote:Aside from that, it does remind me, that there are still bug in scripts and issues with RGD's pertaining to Indians. Perhaps those should be addressed first, before starting on a large project like the Wiki. I'm not sure where AGEod's work load is at the moment, but I'm sure if good solutions were already created, it would go a long way in Pocus being able to allocate time for vetting and implementing them in a patch.

I agree, again. My thinking is that the game could use a final coat of good polish before any new things get added or changed drastically.

Not everyone may be comfortable working with scripts and such... Maybe we should start with something like a shared google doc/spreadsheet where we list the tasks that need doing or topics that need documenting. Then volunteers can sign up for specific tasks.

Captain_Orso

Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:54 am

Straight Arrow wrote:Kapteeni karhu, I believe the posted link just loops back to this page.

Okay, fixed in original post, and here if you're too lazy to scroll Civil War 2 Wiki ;)

Captain_Orso

Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:58 am

Cardinal Ape wrote:I'd like to contribute to this project.

I agree. This forum already has a wealth of information, but it is so spread out and buried deep. I've been here a while now and remembering my first dive into the forums; it was tough. One really has to act like a dwarf of Moria and delve deep. SA's points to know thread did a lot to help new players, but a fully updated and maintained wiki would be even better.

I agree, again. My thinking is that the game could use a final coat of good polish before any new things get added or changed drastically.

Not everyone may be comfortable working with scripts and such... Maybe we should start with something like a shared google doc/spreadsheet where we list the tasks that need doing or topics that need documenting. Then volunteers can sign up for specific tasks.

Well, first we have to create a list of things to fix, then we can look to creating fixes.

DrPostman

Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:57 pm

Captain_Orso wrote:Okay, fixed in original post, and here if you're too lazy to scroll Civil War 2 Wiki ;)

Awesome!
"Ludus non nisi sanguineus"

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:49 pm

Back to the topic at hand, the Wiki, any decision on whether or not you want to use Wikia or switch to the AgeWiki, Orso?

Any progress on a topics list/organizational structure?

I will write something up as soon as you give me an assignment!

Captain_Orso

Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:33 pm

Um Gotteswillen!! I'm the bear. Don't rush the bear. We're.... comfortable.

I don't have time at the moment to dive head first into this project, and won't have until about the end of September. And then I'll still be in favor of getting a patch prepared first, because Pocus can sit on that while we work on the Wiki, but the other way around might find us missing an opportunity to get a final patch out.

To keep him settled, it looks like the bear's going to have to sit on the chair ;)

EDIT: okay, what you might do now, which can't hurt and has to be done anyway, is an outline of subjects and the order we want to put them into the Wiki.

Game description should be first, but then installation? manual-installation and Steam? Directory structures.

Oh, and speaking of which, I'd like to have a set of conventions, which are open for discussion:

We should be using the same language, by which I don't mean English, but US or GB English. And should we be using the term "Folder" or "Directory"? Region or .... (some games have gone to calling the region other things ---god knows why Image

These may seem like very minor things, but they go a long way in conveying information, if we don't confuse the reader by using different terms for the same thing, making him wonder why we do that, and if we ARE trying to tell him something different.

Also, conventions for things like quoting text from events etc. For example, I always set quoted event texts in full quotes, eg "This is the text of an event", but special terms and names of units used in the game I set in single quotes, eg 'The Iron Brigade', or especially computer data pathes: 'C:\Users\Orso\Documents'.

Also, does anybody have any preferences between AGEod Wiki or Wikia. Other than what I've already mentioned I don't know of any great differences, other than that in the AGEod Wiki we might have more access to management features, but then again, it probably won't be generally open to the public as editable, because of known reasons, which might frustrate contributors.

lodilefty

Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:07 pm

Also, does anybody have any preferences between AGEod Wiki or Wikia. Other than what I've already mentioned I don't know of any great differences, other than that in the AGEod Wiki we might have more access to management features, but then again, it probably won't be generally open to the public as editable, because of known reasons, which might frustrate contributors.

I think you should keep it separate, as it should be focused on CW2.
The AGEWiki targets modding and script documentation.

...and you are correct assuming limited user access. Too many moderation headaches, and only a very few heads to ache.....
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

lodilefty

Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:18 pm

Link added to AGE Wiki [see in sidebar]

http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/Main_Page

:gardavou:
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Captain_Orso

Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:54 am

Okay, thanks Lodi :thumbsup:

EDIT: spelling *doh* :wacko:

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:53 am

Captain_Orso wrote:Um Gotteswillen!! I'm the bear. Don't rush the bear. We're.... comfortable.

úŋ tȟáŋtaŋhaŋ Wakȟáŋ Tȟáŋka!!
I'm the ape and I'll be hibernating for the next couple of weeks too. So, maybe we should enlist the help of humans: Start a GoFundMe account so that we can afford to outsource this daunting project to China. :w00t:

I'd suggest we use US English since most of us live there, I guess?

On terms, I'd go with "directory". Really, whatever standards you have been using, I'm fine with. I wouldn't ask a bear with near 5,000 posts to change his ways, old habits die hard and all.. Hopefully, most terms should be rather straight forward. "Unit" may give us a few problems, I still use that word a bit too liberally around here.

I guess I would prefer to use the wiki site linked in lodilefty's post. I mainly say that because the other one has a bunch of ads...

Captain_Orso

Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:55 pm

Damnit! That's Lakota!! :indien:

Nope, no out-sourceing. That's how I make my living as it is :blink:

Straight Arrow
General

Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:23 pm

Cardinal Ape wrote:[I]
úŋ tȟáŋtaŋhaŋ Wakȟáŋ Tȟáŋka!!

Cool, very cool. Tough to top that.

My best guess.

"Because of a great and large person who is endowed with spiritual power"

Captain_Orso

Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:19 pm

Probably closer is, "that big, fat lazy bastard is stoned again" :blink:

--

Captain "gimme that peace pipe" Orso

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:43 am

:laugh:

Yup, it is Lakota. If you knew that off-hand I'd be most impressed. It loosely comes out as, "For the sake of the Great Spirit."

And if you are ever around my hometown, stop by the Pipestone National Monument, and say, 'hi' to my grandmother. She bakes a lot more than just cookies... :p arty:

Captain_Orso

Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:22 pm

Well, actually I though it was Finnish at first :siffle:

I'll keep that in mind Image

Cardinal Ape
General of the Army

Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:29 am

Enjoying a good smoke is a nice way to commemorate your 5,000th post. Thanks for your contributions to the game/forum. :hat:

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:43 pm

5K! Gut gemacht, Herr Hauptmann!
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

Captain_Orso

Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:02 pm

First time I've ever been congratulated for talking so much :)

Thanks guys ;)

Return to “Civil War II”