Jerzul
Captain

New Player Guide

Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:10 am

Hello! I played ACW some, but now I want to jump in to this. Are there any guides to general strategy and game play? I know there is the manual, but with six patches out, I imagine some of the manual is out-of-date. Thanks!
I have heard, in such a way as to believe it, of your recently saying that both the army and the government needed a dictator. Of course it was not for this, but in spite of it, that I have given you the command. Only those generals who gain success can be dictators. What I now ask of you is military success, and I will risk the dictatorship.

-Abraham Lincoln, 1863, in a letter to Major General Joseph Hooker.

LCcmdr
Captain

Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:16 am

Jerzul wrote:Hello! I played ACW some, but now I want to jump in to this. Are there any guides to general strategy and game play? I know there is the manual, but with six patches out, I imagine some of the manual is out-of-date. Thanks!

Be sure to read through the following thread: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?39243-Points-to-Know

(I feel your overwhelmed pain...but for a different game)

In general, there are three major arenas to organize: (1) Richmond to Washington; (2) Cairo, IL, to Cincinnati, OH; and St. Louis toward the West. Though the Far West can be significant to the Union, it is less so to the CSA--other than for combat, promotions, and VP gains. Also, any Union invasion of a Southern port/river run area becomes a "hot zone" for contention.

Troops can be built in any state appropriate "green" region, so long as there is adequate supply of cash, conscripts, and gen. supply materials. You have to manage each of these three categories very rigorously--by experimenting (winning and losing) along the way. The only wrong way of managing these, is the one that fails every time. As the CSA, I'm pressed to build the better Inf units in the three critical combat arenas; then, build several Iron Works. I use bonds and taxes freely and occasionally print money. I build RR and River fleets nearly every turn until I reach and somewhat exceed maximum capacity.

Now, beyond this, read the AAR reports, search for prior posts on your specific needs, and always post your questions. CW2 is a superb, frustrating game (of inches for hours). It's a worthy play!

Have fun

XTRG
Sergeant

Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:49 pm

Jerzul wrote:Hello! I played ACW some, but now I want to jump in to this. Are there any guides to general strategy and game play? I know there is the manual, but with six patches out, I imagine some of the manual is out-of-date. Thanks!

I just finished a series that ended with a confederate Victory, i do go through thing's quickly but i do explain why do said thing's

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbSx_b5pOYvHnWuRxnZW-8nVlwzXkiR6U

hope it could be of some use to see the game in motion

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:01 pm

Welcome! Try these:

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?32676-Video-Tutorials-and-Let-s-Play!

Lots of good advice is available in older threads and you can start some new ones too. I also began by playing ACW. A lot of the info from that game applies to CW2, but the look is a big step up. Good luck!
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

Jerzul
Captain

Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:05 pm

Thanks guys! These are great!
I have heard, in such a way as to believe it, of your recently saying that both the army and the government needed a dictator. Of course it was not for this, but in spite of it, that I have given you the command. Only those generals who gain success can be dictators. What I now ask of you is military success, and I will risk the dictatorship.

-Abraham Lincoln, 1863, in a letter to Major General Joseph Hooker.

Taillebois
General of the Army

Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:46 pm

XTRG wrote:I just finished a series that ended with a confederate Victory, i do go through thing's quickly but i do explain why do said thing's

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbSx_b5pOYvHnWuRxnZW-8nVlwzXkiR6U

hope it could be of some use to see the game in motion

I watched and enjoyed two of your videos (the first and the last - victory one !). I recommend them. What is your system that processes turns so quickly?

Return to “Civil War II”