joe
Lieutenant

Battery size

Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:33 pm

Just starting this game and had dumb question( I tried to search but could not find answer-sorry). USA batteries show 12 guns and CSA show 8 guns. Shouldn't they be 6 and 4, or am i missing something obvious?

Thanks

Captain_Orso

Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:54 am

That is probably true, but the game doesn't really do every little thing as an absolute 1-1 version of reality. Some things are simply setup to mimic reality as closely as possible.

Cromagnonman
Brigadier General

Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:03 am

Yeah - you could consider each battery to be double. But the numbers of men/guns/horses is really just for flavor. What matters more is how many hits an element has, and how many it can inflict.
"firstest with the mostest"

"I fights mit Sigel"

joe
Lieutenant

Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:01 am

Thanks guys. So its 12 guns or 8 guns, just ignore the battery designation and unit name. Got it, I'll go with that.

grimjaw
General

Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:17 pm

It's flavor, but it's not particularly savory.

The number of guns represented by most artillery units in the game is enough for two batteries, but the named elements still represent only one battery. I assume the artillery batteries were given more hits because to use as few as four to represent a rebel battery would lead to some fragile elements. There is a value called HitsPerShip possible in model files. It isn't used in CW2. If you had an element with two hits, and you put in a value of 4 for HitsPerShip, the element would show up with two ships, and each ship would take four hits to kill.

A value could have been created called HitsPerGun that worked like HitsPerShip. It would allow for two hits per gun, and then a more accurate battery flavor could be represented. However, it would have involved more than just that, because the other value that determines the number of guns represented, GunsPerHit, could conflict. Still, we aren't talking rocket science here.

One of the beta testers will be along shortly to post that they proposed that a long time ago, and they were told no, and if that if they couldn't have it, no one should.

Return to “Civil War II”