Suidlander
Conscript

Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:08 pm

This banning of flags nonsense have only motivated me to get my Battle flag out of storage and fly it proudly. Lol

OldPete
Conscript

Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:02 pm

If the ANV flag is banned from US government property which seems reasonable what about guns? Surely the madman killed these poor people with a gun not with a flag?

Keeler
Captain

Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:23 am

OldPete wrote:If the ANV flag is banned from US government property which seems reasonable what about guns? Surely the madman killed these poor people with a gun not with a flag?

Under current US law no one is allowed to carry a personal firearm into any Federal government facility. There is one exception to this rule that I know of. State governments have their own rules about allowing firearms in their buildings.
"Thank God. I thought it was a New York Regiment."- Unknown Confederate major, upon learning he had surrendered to the 6th Wisconsin.

Keeler
Captain

Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:05 pm

The erasing continues

Edit: The article is somewhat misleading, as up until the recent furor the National Park Service did not prohibit the Confederate flag from the land it manages. As the photo in the article shows, it is (or was) a common to see small state, US, and Confederate flags placed by visitors at graves and monuments. It will be very interesting to see what happens: if the NPS allows some flags but not others there are going to be lawsuits, if there is a blanket ban there is going to a loss of how some people connect to these places.
"Thank God. I thought it was a New York Regiment."- Unknown Confederate major, upon learning he had surrendered to the 6th Wisconsin.

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:00 pm

A Union soldier who captured a Confederate Battle Flag in combat usually was awarded the Medal of Honor. The reason was that the flag was borne into battle by the bravest Confederate soldiers, not because it was carried by the most racist, slave-beating scum in the Confederate army. No one is trying to forgive the real horrors of slavery. The issue the liberals have created is that a few thousand racist cowards misuse the flag so millions of normal people cannot honor their fallen ancestors without being dragged through the mud of slander. Grant pardoned all of the rebels. Pardoned criminals are no longer criminals and pardoned rebels are no longer the treasonous swine that liberals love to hate. The flag these men died carrying was not designed as a symbol of racism or treason. If some spineless murderer posts pics of himself on Facebook eating apple pie or buying Girl Scout cookies or singing the National Anthem, and a liberal made some ludicrous connection between these, then I would hope that reason would prevail over B.S. A photographer did not absent mindedly snap a picture of the Battle flag flying near the Statehouse where the National and State flags were respectfully at half mast. This was a deliberate effort to use a terrible human tragedy for political reasons. Any counterpoint to this one-sided argument of racism was immediately made radioactive. Truth comes from honest debate, like what we are having. This firestorm was not created to address racism in the 21st Century. It's just another attempt to rally a block of one-issue voters for a party that's larger agenda is a train wreck. A century and a half ago, my Republican ancestor died because Democrats thought they owned African-Americans, could lie to them and misuse them. We're still working on that.
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

BattleVonWar
Major

Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:55 pm

I was quite fond of the Rebel Flag on The General Lee as a boy. In games it certainly gives flavor to an antique war. Strange people place so much power and value on a Flag. Enslavement began long before there was a Rebel Flag in the Americas. If people feel comfort by putting emphasis on this, let them. People are very good at taking symbols, ideas and ideologies and running away with them. Like the Geico Commercial, "If your Human, you make life hard, that's what you do."
For every Southern boy fourteen years old, not once but whenever he wants it, there is the instant when it's still not yet two o'clock on that July afternoon in 1863 ~~~

Captain_Orso

Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:40 am

The southern colonies, giving birth to the southern states, have at all times been a distinct part of the United States of America. Why is it that a symbol, created after 85 years of unity, during the most tragic struggle this nation has ever endured, has now come to represents the ideals those southern states?

Return to “Civil War II”