Dudosh
Lieutenant Colonel

PBEM Problem

Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:49 am

Hi,

I got following problem:

I create a game, giving a name to it. Then i send the hst. file to my pbem partner. He plan his order, send me his ord. file back. Then i copy the file he sended me into the saves folder the game is named, doing the turn. At me works everything fine but my opponents orders are not done. Also there is not created rpl. file for my enemy..only for me. so it seems that i play against the KI.

Patch 1.06 (both got it), what I am doing wrong?

Edit: I have Win 7 64bit

Captain_Orso

Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:16 pm

This is assuming you are playing as the Union:

If when you click on "Proceed to next turn" the CSA's orders file is not in the "..\Saves\{Game_Name}\" directory, a pop-up will tell you that the orders file is missing and that if you continue the AI will take over the CSA for you. Is this happening?

I don't think you can turn recording the replay files on and off through the options menus, but you should check there first.

If the setting is not there you will have to make the setting manually:

- If not already, stop the game.
- Using a file manager --e.g. Windows Explorer-- navigate to your installation folder and then into "..\CW2\Settings".
- Using a text editor --e.g. Notepad.exe, NotPade++.exe-- open 'General.opt'.
- Search for 'inoReplay = 0' and change this to '1'.
- Save the changes.

The next time you execute a turn a replay file will be generated for each side.

Dudosh
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:05 pm

Hi,

no. nothing like this happens you tell me (pop up and so on). But i think i found the mistake. I had the KI on active, beginner mistake :) . I have now a clean install, and waiting for my opponents first turn this evening. Let`s see what happens then :)

Captain_Orso

Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:28 pm

Having the AI turned on will not do that. If AI is turned on and finds an orders file it will do thing for that faction. If AI is turned off and it doesn't find a orders file for a faction, I'm not sure if it will warn you, but it will not generate orders.

When you go into the Load menu, when you click on the scenario you are playing, if an orders file is present for one of the main factions the orders-overlay will appear in the lower right corner of the Lincoln and/or Davis buttons, which you use to choose which factions you will load. If there is no overlay, the game did not find the orders.

Dudosh
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:01 am

Hi,

it don`t works. I now watched everything. Put the file in the right folder and so on, but when I open the game i don`t see in jefferson davis picture (my enemy) the orders. I watched extra to do everything allright, put KI off. Everything I´ve done..sorry this is really dissapointing :(

Captain_Orso

Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:53 am

If you are not getting the orders-overlay on Davis, then the game is not recognizing your opponent's orders file.

On your opponent's orders file is everything before ~CSA.ord identical to the .hst file and the ~USA.ord file?

Could it be that your opponent has 'Turn Compression' turned on; perhaps with a password?

Dudosh
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:38 am

Only thing i did..i changed language in general.opt..from english to german

Ebbingford

Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:42 pm

I take it you also have the .hst file when you have both sets of orders?
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

Dudosh
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:47 pm

Hello,

so I did a new clean install..haven`t changed the language an so on. But still don`t works. My enemy is not using round compression or winzip. But I see a difference between the ord files

The attachment sloDvc.gif is no longer available

You see the sign between beetween usa.ord and csa.ord the "-" is not compatible to mine
Attachments
sloDvc.gif

Dudosh
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:03 pm

Ebbingford wrote:I take it you also have the .hst file when you have both sets of orders?

Hi,

yes. I save my turn before i send it to my enemy, and then I send it to my enemy (hst. file)

Dudosh
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:17 pm

Edit 2:

Hi, i think i found an issue: my e-mail provider changes the sign (I`m using AOL so far)..changed to freenet..maybe this helps..an other idea i don`t got.

I say this because my enemy sends the file with the right name, but when i download it..the sign changes form ~ to -

maybe because the automatic proof of virus and spam ??..will try this in the evening

Edit: Tryed it, and it works..i changed opponents file name from "-" to "~" and it works now..i see my opponents orders in jefferson davis picutre..

Captain_Orso

Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:42 pm

So, the actual issue is that when you download the file from AOL mail the file name gets changed. There are easily a dozen things which might cause that; in general a failure of one program in the process to understand and correctly translate characters above 7bit ANSI.

To alleviate this, your opponent should ZIP the orders file before attaching it to an email. This will prevent the file name from being changed through transmission. If the ZIP file's name gets slightly garbled, it makes no difference, and if the content of the file is garbled ZIP will recognize that and warn you that the ZIP-archive is corrupt.

Return to “Civil War II”