Re: Points to Know

Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:36 pm

Okay and thanks!

Straight Arrow
General

Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:02 pm

Just a heads up.

It's time to help readers wading though the sticky “Points to Know - CSA” thread by resetting the orange, new information sections to black text.

If you have not looked at the post for a while, It might be worth your time to skim over the new material before the 6/30/17 reset.

Please sing out if you find incorrect information or have data you would like to see posted. Comments and suggestions may be added to this working thread.

Straight Arrow
General

Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:06 am

Just dragging the conversational "Points" out of the dust bin.

Any new ideas that you believe should be posted to the fixed "Points?"

Straight Arrow
General

Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:04 pm

Will be updating this weekend.

Any points to add?

Captain_Orso

Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:12 pm

Hi Straight Arrow, you might want to add the info found in these of my recent posts. I get kind of tired of having to repeat them :o

Controlling a City

Union Income - Shipping Lanes - Transports

Union Income - Shipping Lanes - Merchantmen

VP costs of RGD's - a list of

CS Brigs as Blockade Runners, Raiders in the Shipping Lanes and Hunting them

Best regards

Straight Arrow
General

Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:44 am

Captain_Orso wrote:Hi Straight Arrow, you might want to add the info found in these of my recent posts. I get kind of tired of having to repeat them :o

Controlling a City

Union Income - Shipping Lanes - Transports

Union Income - Shipping Lanes - Merchantmen

VP costs of RGD's - a list of

CS Brigs as Blockade Runners, Raiders in the Shipping Lanes and Hunting them

Best regards

So, let it be written. So, let it be done.

Captain_Orso

Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:59 am

Could this thread get stickied? It keeps getting lost :blink:

DrPostman

Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:36 am

Captain_Orso wrote:Could this thread get stickied? It keeps getting lost :blink:

:winner:

Straight Arrow
General

Re: CSA Points to Know (open to comments)

Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:13 pm

Just pulling the thread out of the dust bin.

Any thing that you think that should be added?

Gray Fox
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:15 pm

Perhaps our undying gratitude for a job well done?

The only thing I see is that the agewiki seems dead now so those links don't work. Perhaps Captain Orso knows what is up with the wiki? I'll check if I have any of the material simply block copied somewhere.

Also, did I mention that you did an incredibly great job? :hat:
I'm the 51st shade of gray. Eat, pray, Charge!

Straight Arrow
General

Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:01 am

Thanks for the kind words Grey Fox.

But, I must add that almost all the ideas worth reading in "Points" came from you and the old Narnians .

hpalmer
Conscript

Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:04 am

Can anyone educate me on a roster of best army commanders, corps commanders, and who you would promote to 3 star and who you would promote to 2 star?

I use Army of N. VA under Lee, with longstreet, jackson, and E.K. Smith as corps commanders. I use an army of shenedoah under Jos. Johnston between Virginia and Tennessee, then the army of the tennessee under beauregard holding kentucky, with maybe polk, forest, and patrick clebourne as corps commanders, and final army under Sydney Johnson holding/pushing Cairo/St Louis with maybe van dorn as a corps commander, along with stirling price and ben McCullough if I can get them promoted.

Who am I neglecting and are any of these bad calls? Who would you use for a notional 5th or 6th army, if even needed? Maybe an army in new mexico as I like to push california...

Durk

Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:30 am

Best is really a question of your over all strategic plan and how you deploy for combat. As well, some players like to use some historical limitations keeping Jackson in the East and maybe allowing Longstreet one journey West.

Those you have outline do make sense. I would say you have over looked JEB Stuart and Bragg who both can do credible jobs.

Pemberton is worthy of a 5th/6th Army as he is good to guard the coast.

But so much depends upon whether you are a player who always takes the offensive or mainly takes the defensive. For instance, A S Johnston is very good offensively, but not so much defensively. How are you deploying R E Lee? His command span is so great he may be able to manage your weaker Corps commanders to good effect allowing Jackson and Longstreet independent army command.

I do try to get Cleburne and Richard Taylor at least to corps level. Taylor was a talented general and is recognized as such in the game. He enters late, so gaining promotions are a challenge.

hpalmer
Conscript

Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:27 pm

Durk wrote:Best is really a question of your over all strategic plan and how you deploy for combat. As well, some players like to use some historical limitations keeping Jackson in the East and maybe allowing Longstreet one journey West.

Those you have outline do make sense. I would say you have over looked JEB Stuart and Bragg who both can do credible jobs.

Pemberton is worthy of a 5th/6th Army as he is good to guard the coast.

But so much depends upon whether you are a player who always takes the offensive or mainly takes the defensive. For instance, A S Johnston is very good offensively, but not so much defensively. How are you deploying R E Lee? His command span is so great he may be able to manage your weaker Corps commanders to good effect allowing Jackson and Longstreet independent army command.

I do try to get Cleburne and Richard Taylor at least to corps level. Taylor was a talented general and is recognized as such in the game. He enters late, so gaining promotions are a challenge.

Well, with Lee I like to dig in from Alexandria to Harpers Ferry with my Army HQ in support at Manassas and bleed the Union trying to cross the Potomac. I use a strong corps to take Fort Monroe ASAP to open up the blockade of Richmond and then I leave a lighter corps in Richmond to rail around as needed. Sometimes I also use a cavalry corps under Jeb Stuart if I can get him promoted to hold down the Shenendoahs.

Interesting idea about Taylor and Pemberton, I will look at using them more. How is Bragg useful? I tend to stick him in New Orleans with a training type command and reserve formation to defend against naval invasion and maybe retaking galveston if needed... I just let him train up troops and build divisions up in new orleans to rail north into Kentucky

Durk

Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:47 am

Your use of Bragg in New Orleans is a very decent use of him. There are so many excellent CSA commanders that his Arrogance and Dispirited qualities are a major drag; but he does have a 5 initiative and a 3 attack, which can be useful.

I do play with a strong eye upon history and use of historical commanders in their historic commands, so I do use Bragg while the CSA is on the offensive. Once they must go defensive, the Joe Johnston is much more suited to that task.

Straight Arrow
General

Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:03 am

Dragging it out of the dust bin again.

Anything that should be added or changed?

Return to “Civil War II”