spartan005
Private

Question : Foreign Entry

Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:50 pm

Hello
First Sorry for my bad english i'm french

I play CSA
I want the france Declare War to USA (but i don't want the britain Kingdom)
It's Possible ? (i have search event with only france and try to force event but didn't work)

thanks.

spartan005
Private

Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:56 pm

and second little question

i see we can"t control the allied faction
It's different to the blue and grey
can i take the control of the allied unit ?

Ol' Choctaw

Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:22 pm

Sorry, so much as I know it is not possible to get one without the other and there is no way to control them in this game. Maybe with a mod, but not sure.

spartan005
Private

Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:29 pm

I Think i have try the perfect solution

Thanks !

Captain_Orso

Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:38 am

There is only "Foreign Entry", not English and/or French Entry.

Historically England dominated France politically (economically). Were France to officially recognize the Confederacy --as Napoleon III wanted to-- without the go-ahead from England, England would have used its economical and political power to punish France for stepping out-of-line.

The game simplifies this extremely, because theoretically England --and France-- could have simply recognized the Confederacy as a sovereign nation and then opened trade with it. The US could legally then not hinder that trade --the War of 1812 was fought over exactly the same principal while England was at war with France and the US was conducting trade with France. England tried to stop the trade on the ocean, which the US tried to prevent. One thing lead to another and England invaded the US.

But since the US could not allow for England --actually the UK, which includes Canada-- to trade with the Confederacy, which would basically mean trading Southern cotton for European weapons etc., an open conflict between the UK and France vs the US would have been inevitable.

Ergo, no Foreign Entry for only one European nation without the other.

One might delay an open conflict until some unlucky event occurred, but it would have been seemingly inevitable and what would be the point.

elxaime
General

Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:21 am

The interesting question that I have never seen a Civil War game address as of yet is whether foreign intervention on the side of the Confederacy might have led to foreign intervention by others on the side of the Union. I am not talking necessarily foreign troops. But Prussia and Russia, rivals of France and Britain respectively, might have then felt free to provide aid to the Union.

Regarding Russia, as noted at http://www.voltairenet.org/article169488.html

"...in the first two years of the war, when its outcome was still highly uncertain, the attitude of Russia was a potent factor in preventing Great Britain and France from adopting a policy of aggressive intervention....the proposed British-French interference promoted by Lord Russell, the Foreign Secretary, in October 1862 was deterred at this time mainly by the Russian attitude...Russell’s note to Palmerston conclud[ed] that Britain “ought not to move at present without Russia." The critical importance of Russian help in deterring the British and Napoleon III as well is borne out by a closer analysis...Seward thought that if the Anglo-French were to assail the Union, they would soon find themselves at war with Russia as well....The most dramatic gestures of cooperation between the Russian Empire and the United States came in the autumn of 1863, as the Laird rams crisis hung in the balance. On September 24, the Russian Baltic fleet began to arrive in New York harbor. On October 12, the Russian Far East fleet began to arrive in San Francisco. The Russians, judging that they were on the verge of war with Britain and France over the British-fomented Polish insurrection of 1863, had taken this measure to prevent their ships from being bottled up in their home ports by the superior British fleet. These ships were also the tokens of the vast Russian land armies that could be thrown in the scales on a number of fronts, including the northwest frontier of India; the British had long been worried about such an eventuality. In mid-July 1863, French Foreign Minister Droun de Lhuys was offering London the joint occupation of Poland by means of invasion. But the experience of the Confederate commerce raiders had graphically illustrated just how effective even a limited number of warships could be when they turned to commerce raiding, which is what the Russian naval commanders had been ordered to do in case of hostilities. The Russian admirals had also been told that, if the US and Russia were to find themselves at war with Britain and France, the Russian ships should place themselves under Lincoln’s command and operate in synergy with the US Navy against the common enemies. It is thus highly significant that the Russian ships were sent to the United States."

With regard to Prussia, like Russia they refused Anglo-French attempts to have them support an armistice. Although less likely to become militarily involved at sea (there was at this time no real Prussia navy) the Prussians and their German allies were a potent counterpoise to France on land in Europe. Given how many Germans were fighting for the Union cause, it is possible foreign intervention by Britain and France on the side of the CSA might have led to a stream of "volunteers" from the German states and Prussia. The main Prussian impact however, like Russia, would be as a deterrent to France and Britain.

ACW doesn't really take the prospects of a foreign counterweight to Britain and France. The USA, like the CSA, could muster foreign allies. Perhaps this is implicit in the force totals brought by intervention as it stands. But I would love to see a series of diplomatic and military assistance options open up to the Union AFTER intervention occurs. For example, if Russia enters the war on behalf of the Union, it would have a huge impact. Basically, it would provide options for the Union to bring an end to intervention by mobilizing its own allies. Instead, right now, once intervention occurs it is basically set for the rest of the game.

tripax
AGEod Veteran

Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:42 am

I've never seen FI occur, so I'm wondering; does it ever occur after the Emancipation Proclamation? Which year(s) and months does it usually occur? When it occurs, does the south usually lead in moral?

A limited way to implement elxaimine's suggestions is to allow the Union to buy Russian ships - possibly for a lower cost (maybe no WS or conscript cost or something). Another way would be to give the Union a Russian or Prussian general with training abilities. And a third would be for Russia/Prussia to sent money and/or WS. Creating a Russian/Prussian army or navy and letting it join the Union side in the same way the French and English join the Confederate would be the another rout. Which of these would have been most likely?

Jim-NC

Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:38 pm

In all my playing, I have only seen FI once (in AACW). I led in NM and VP for the entire game, and got a few lucky embargo rolls. It was before the Emancipation Proclamation. Haven't seen it in CW II yet.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

elxaime
General

Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:41 pm

Here are some what-if's based on my own sense of what could have happened and how this could be reflected in-game:

Naval - while Britain and France could have tried to impose a blockade on the Union, the USA navy was large enough, well-equipped and operating near its bases so as to hinder this. More likely, Anglo-French ships would have greatly complicated USA naval re-supply of bases in the south and future USA amphibious operations. USA and any Russian ships as commerce raiders would have exacted a massive toll on Anglo-French merchant shipping, while likewise USA merchant ships would have been devastated

Land - very likely, but no sure thing, that the USA would have conquered Canada. Also very likely the USA would have concluded a more expansive military alliance with the Juaristas in Mexico and the two struggles (USA v CSA and French v Mexico) would have merged. In Europe and Asia, if Russia entered the war, it is very likely Britain would have sought an accommodation with Lincoln - maintaining the British Empire, particularly India, was FAR more important to London than seeing CSA independence. Likewise Prussia (only a few years away from its successful wars against the Habsburgs and France) would have seen Anglo-French entanglement in the New World, and perhaps even war with Russia, as a chance to grab what it wanted in Europe.

In essence, foreign intervention against the USA by Britain and France could very likely have escalated into a global war with multiple powers.

Return to “Civil War II”