GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Good Supply Question

Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:50 pm

Here's a good one:

July 62 - Butler is in Williamsburg on the Peninsula at about 1200 Pwr. Level 3 entrench. My opponent havi, takes Lee (2200 Pwr) and blasts SE from Richmond, wiping out the lone Cav scout resting there in W-burg, but not engaging Butler. Lee keeps going & takes James City and stops.

Lee has no Wagons at all.

I think Lee is not where he really wants to be, especially with no Wagons. The question is, is Lee in supply? AFAIK, there is no CSA Sea Supply capability, except for the UK & France. Does he get Supply by the James River? If so, does the lack of Wagons mean no refreshing?

Also, if so, I have put two fleets on the upper and lower James, next Turn in "Blockade Strength" for elements. Does that deny Lee Supply?

I landed in Norfolk and have about 3 Divs with 1000 Pwr besieging 225 Pwr in the structure.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]
-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]
-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES
(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.
(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

Ol' Choctaw

Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:20 pm

He should be in supply where he sits but is at the end of the line without a wagon.

It is a level 2 city so he can build a wagon there and maybe even a depot.

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:14 pm

Thank you, sir.

He made it moot by crossing the York to the north.

If it's a green region for building - is that what is implied? He had no Wagon, so if he couldn't build units there...

I don't think a Depot is there at game start, at least Apr61.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]

-Daniel Webster

RULES

(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:24 pm

Ol' Choctaw wrote:He should be in supply where he sits but is at the end of the line without a wagon.

It is a level 2 city so he can build a wagon there and maybe even a depot.

Per bold - why? River?

-Daniel Webster

RULES

Ol' Choctaw

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:27 pm

Green is build. Brown is no build. Even if it were a size 1 port he can build flatboats which will build a depot same turn.

He is within two regions of a depot and one of the regions is also rail. It is not smart to go without wagons with such a force, don't know why he would do that.

havi
Colonel

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:47 pm

I have to confess something I had the wagons coming in culpepper, but I forgot to bring them with me to hasty and did not check.

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:47 pm

Richmond-New Kent-Williamsburg-James City

Three Regions, away, I would say.

Norfolk was besieged, so, AFAIK, it could disburse Supplies - by river. Richmond could, also, AFAIK. I assume fleets in Blockade Strength interdict Supplies. He would have the York River, I think (I would have to look at the map again), for River Supply.

Good to know about the flatboats.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:50 pm

havi wrote:I have to confess something I had the wagons coming in culpepper, but I forgot to bring them with me to hasty and did not check.

Shhh.

Hey, we all make mistakes - some of mine have been beauts. It's how we learn.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

Ol' Choctaw

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:53 pm

rivers can always carry supply unless there is something to stop it, like ships or forts. I am not even sure ships do.

If he is three regions away he only has what he draws from the towns, so would be under supplies and could not stay put without wagons or a depot.

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:07 pm

Which is why I think he moved - his destination certainly isn't 'convenient'.

He can get back in position, though - I'm sure he doesn't want to have 2200 Pwr under Lee having a clambake.

havi, no need to correct - just thinking out loud.

And I think enough ship elements might. He had Hollis in considerable numbers at the meeting of the Cumberland and Tennessee and it seemed to be cutting Grant in Fts H&D off from Supply. Had to kick Hollis out with some very strong persuasion.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

minipol
General

Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:45 am

Ol' Choctaw wrote:rivers can always carry supply unless there is something to stop it, like ships or forts. I am not even sure ships do.

I thought (can't seem to find it in the manual) 1 riverine combat ship was enough to block supply

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:48 am

GraniteStater wrote:Which is why I think he moved - his destination certainly isn't 'convenient'.

He can get back in position, though - I'm sure he doesn't want to have 2200 Pwr under Lee having a clambake.

You mean a shad bake? :neener:

Sorry, I finally decided to finish the Foote trilogy due in part to the history threads. I was halfway through the last book when I put it down, deciding the combat was done and I knew how the rest turned out. Well, I guess I figured out that there's much to learn about generals and armies in defeat as well as victory. George Pickett never really accomplished much in the way of positive results did he?

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:12 am

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne wrote:You mean a shad bake? :neener:

Sorry, I finally decided to finish the Foote trilogy due in part to the history threads. I was halfway through the last book when I put it down, deciding the combat was done and I knew how the rest turned out. Well, I guess I figured out that there's much to learn about generals and armies in defeat as well as victory. George Pickett never really accomplished much in the way of positive results did he?

Sure it wasn't Faulkner?

-Daniel Webster

RULES

Return to “Civil War II”