Pocus

BRS Expansion pack and Patch 1.03

Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:52 am

Hi all,

A few things of importance regarding the expansion pack Bloody Road South and patch 1.03.

As of now, February 11th, the patch 1.03 is only available if you buy BRS. This is because the patch currently provided with the pack is really big, and so we did not felt like providing you a huge patch as a standalone. This situation will improve very soon, with the patch redone with a size of approximatively 15 mb only. I really hope that nobody will think we are trying a stupid ploy here in enticing you buying the pack, to get the patch. There was a technical issue as the QA team has moved to a new patch building system and so the resulting patch was big, too big. As part of the pack, we don't think this is a major problem, but providing you a patch which is 50 time bigger than what we provide usually felt strange and awkward... thus the delay in this standalone patch.

But you'll get it as soon as possible, every day we track when it will be finished testing, so this should not be long. I had strong hopes for this week.

Also another note of importance, is that the expansion pack tell you that you should patch Civil War II with the Alea Jacta Est patch. The message is misleading but the patch is correct, you should patch with this 'AJE' patch which is in fact a CW2 patch.

Again, the patch in the scenario pack is all correct (even if slightly bloated ;) ) and is a patch for CW2.

So, patch away!

Sorry for these technical issues, they will be soon solved. The patch building system is undergoing a major overhaul which will provide benefits in the future, like having the vast majority of games with an auto update system (the new games probably, perhaps not the old one, we will see what is feasible).

That's it.
On behalf of the Ageod Team,
Pocus.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:40 pm

Thank you for taking the time to clarify these points. Thorough & professional, as we have come to expect.

And they said a furry rodent couldn't be project lead...
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]
-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]
-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES
(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.
(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

minipol
General

Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:30 pm

Hehe GraniteStater, nice one :)

G-Burg Bullet
Corporal

Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:14 am

Pocus wrote:Hi all,

A few things of importance regarding the expansion pack Bloody Road South and patch 1.03.

As of now, February 11th, the patch 1.03 is only available if you buy BRS. This is because the patch currently provided with the pack is really big, and so we did not felt like providing you a huge patch as a standalone. This situation will improve very soon, with the patch redone with a size of approximatively 15 mb only. I really hope that nobody will think we are trying a stupid ploy here in enticing you buying the pack, to get the patch. There was a technical issue as the QA team has moved to a new patch building system and so the resulting patch was big, too big. As part of the pack, we don't think this is a major problem, but providing you a patch which is 50 time bigger than what we provide usually felt strange and awkward... thus the delay in this standalone patch.

But you'll get it as soon as possible, every day we track when it will be finished testing, so this should not be long. I had strong hopes for this week.

Also another note of importance, is that the expansion pack tell you that you should patch Civil War II with the Alea Jacta Est patch. The message is misleading but the patch is correct, you should patch with this 'AJE' patch which is in fact a CW2 patch.

Again, the patch in the scenario pack is all correct (even if slightly bloated ;) ) and is a patch for CW2.

So, patch away!

Sorry for these technical issues, they will be soon solved. The patch building system is undergoing a major overhaul which will provide benefits in the future, like having the vast majority of games with an auto update system (the new games probably, perhaps not the old one, we will see what is feasible).

That's it.
On behalf of the Ageod Team,
Pocus.

Thanks for clarifying, Pocus. I'm new here at Ageod, but I'm pleasantly surprised at the level of support you get here from the actual game developers. I've been gaming for many, many years and in so many cases (if not the majority of cases), a company releases a really buggy product just to get it out the door and then does little, if anything, to support and fix their products thereafter. So, thank you and hats off to you dedication to your products and for actively monitoring these boards. CW2 is my first AGEOD game and I'm totally impressed and pleased. I have learned so much here.

Bis
Sergeant

Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:07 pm

I wasn't confused before but am now. I have BRS and loaded 1.03 and then the scenarios. I saw nothing about AJE.
Jim Cobb

John S. Mosby
Lieutenant

Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:08 pm

Pocus wrote:There was a technical issue as the QA team has moved to a new patch building system and so the resulting patch was big, too big. As part of the pack, we don't think this is a major problem, but providing you a patch which is 50 time bigger than what we provide usually felt strange and awkward... thus the delay in this standalone patch.

A little confused. I ordered the boxed version of the patch and have not received it yet. Is the best course of action to wait for the new smaller patch? Or is the BRS patch better?

Your comment "we don't think this is a major problem" indicates it may be a problem. The BRS patch is 50 times bigger? Will it effect gameplay?

What's the ideal course of action?

gekkoguy82
Major

Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:58 am

G-Burg Bullet wrote:Thanks for clarifying, Pocus. I'm new here at Ageod, but I'm pleasantly surprised at the level of support you get here from the actual game developers. I've been gaming for many, many years and in so many cases (if not the majority of cases), a company releases a really buggy product just to get it out the door and then does little, if anything, to support and fix their products thereafter. So, thank you and hats off to you dedication to your products and for actively monitoring these boards. CW2 is my first AGEOD game and I'm totally impressed and pleased. I have learned so much here.

You'll quickly learn that this is par for the course with Ageod. They've been outstanding since they hooked me with AACW, 8 or so years ago. A fantastic company and even though I don't post on the forums much, a fantastic community as well. Welcome aboard!

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:33 am

As part of the pack, we don't think this is a major problem, but providing you a patch which is 50 time bigger than what we provide usually felt strange and awkward... thus the delay in this standalone patch.

I don't think it would be a rational business decision to distribute a free patch to (hopefully) thousands of people at 50x the normal bandwidth cost. I also think that it was a nice and customer friendly thing to do to go ahead and include it in BRS at the full size even though it lowers your margins on those sales (bandwidth cost). When I am buying something I expect half gig+ downloads, not so much with a patch.

Thanks for the explanation, and I for one am happy to sit tight, as I know you are all working hard on this.

richfed

Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:36 am

I purchased the download --- it's quick if you have DSL, or the like. Game is running fine so far. No crashes into 1863. I did noticed a few minor things that I have posted about, but the fixes/improvements trump them by far.

Pocus

Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:55 am

Except for the notable difference in size, the patch coming up with BRS and the soon to be released standalone patch are exactly the same and will do the same thing. The BRS patch includes many regions graphics for example, but these files are identical to the ones you already have.

So don't hesitate, if you want BRS and the patch provided with it, this is not an issue. If you only want the new patch, please hold the line!

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

minipol
General

Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:14 am

richfed wrote:but the fixes/improvements trump them by far.

Indeed, my thoughts exactely

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:25 pm

The stand alone 1.03 patch is now available .....just click on the search for updates on the startup screen. Simple to install and works extremely well. Many thanks to the Phils. :thumbsup:

Pocus

Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:55 pm

I'll post a thread on it now also. Thread destickified thus...

John S. Mosby
Lieutenant

Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:31 pm

Just curious, as the patches continue, will the BRS Expansion be released with the newer patches?

Ace

Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:43 pm

I see no reason not to.

Pocus

Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:16 pm

You mean included for free in a future patch? I don't think so...

John S. Mosby
Lieutenant

Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:11 pm

I'm sorry. I meant if you purchased BRS in April, would it then include the 1.04 patch?

Pocus

Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:21 am

I'm not too sure but that's a good question as the BRS must be redone and "slimified" ...

Return to “Civil War II”